+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: Chapter 1,020: Robin vs Black Maria

  1. #21
    Arf. (ᵔᴥᵔ) FelRes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SoCal

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Gonna be annoying if people cling to the wings thing causing confusion, it's pretty clear in meaning especially if you've seen the explanation. Also nice to see the #2 comment being clarified as #2 bounty. People still gonna fight tho.

    Great chapter, Robin weeks are always the best. I'm expecting it to be a beat down though. Just happy Brook is sidelining himself for it. Speaking of, interesting to see he is willing to fight girls despite being a pervert. I know there was Big Mom, but that was off-paneled.

    Can't wait to see a Caribou update in another 30 chapters.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

  2. #22
    aka demonicpoodle Kaworu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Proud believer in "Xebec is Alive"

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    I had such a huge smile on my face from this chapter. Robin's "fight" against Yama in Skypiea is pretty much the only 1 on 1 thing she's ever gotten, and like it was fine, but this is so much better and so much more impactful. Wano's now not just correcting post-timeskip issues, but even pre-timeskip.
    I don't know why but I found her line about Sanji pretty emotional, it was a really sweet scene.

    Just gotta hope for Brook here that he does more than just assist on some goons but right now that doesn't look super likely. But still plenty of arc to go. These chapters being back to back like this is so, so necessary because it's really hammering in that, yes, there was a lot of focus on the Scabbards, but the Straw Hats are still the main characters.

    Also what's with Oda's "corrupted memories" thing with this arc? Oden from Kanjuro, Robin's mom and Saul. Kinda interesting, possible theme? Or just Oda liking to do multiple takes on one concept.
    Croc or Enel would never.
    Wanna see the "ancient civilization destroyed" thing done really well? FFXIV did a great take on it. The bar's high for One Piece to beat.

  3. #23
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Mt. GOATmore

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Robin at the end reminded me of a Buddha statue, which is just amazing for me.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

  4. #24

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    I want to believe Oda originally drew Yamato looking like an actual wolf, but he noticed similarities with Jabra and knew people would make comparissions.. so poof!, Yamato now looks nothing like a wolf.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    I loved this chapter, easily my favourite so far since the regular fights started. People teaming up and doing some friendly banter, Brook leaving Black Maria to Robin, the importance of the two strawhats who would once rather take on eternal misery than ask for help rely on each other, just about every Robin scene! Yamato looked awesome too, as always the initial appearance felt a bit off until we now got to see him with proper expressions and moving about.

    I wonder if that dog breed is a relative of the manticores.
    Wano Predictions
    Spoiler:


  6. #26
    Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Location
    The Netherlands

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Its to note that Yamato's not-so-wolfish design may also be a attribute to the fact that the Oguchi no Makami was also considered to be a species of Komainu (Lion-Dog), so the full beast form could take a design that is resembling a mix of a wolf with the attributes of a komainu.

  7. #27

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Quote Originally Posted by Galleon Panthera View Post
    Its to note that Yamato's not-so-wolfish design may also be a attribute to the fact that the Oguchi no Makami was also considered to be a species of Komainu (Lion-Dog), so the full beast form could take a design that is resembling a mix of a wolf with the attributes of a komainu.
    That's a mighty interesting bit of info. Thanks for sharing.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

  8. #28

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    I had such a huge smile on my face from this chapter. Robin's "fight" against Yama in Skypiea is pretty much the only 1 on 1 thing she's ever gotten, and like it was fine, but this is so much better and so much more impactful. Wano's now not just correcting post-timeskip issues, but even pre-timeskip.
    I don't know why but I found her line about Sanji pretty emotional, it was a really sweet scene.

    Just gotta hope for Brook here that he does more than just assist on some goons but right now that doesn't look super likely. But still plenty of arc to go. These chapters being back to back like this is so, so necessary because it's really hammering in that, yes, there was a lot of focus on the Scabbards, but the Straw Hats are still the main characters.

    Also what's with Oda's "corrupted memories" thing with this arc? Oden from Kanjuro, Robin's mom and Saul. Kinda interesting, possible theme? Or just Oda liking to do multiple takes on one concept.
    Dealing with/reckoning with the past is definitely a theme this arc. The illusions are an extension of that imo.

  9. #29
    Witch of Miracles otakufan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    The Ocean of Fragments

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    I want to believe Oda originally drew Yamato looking like an actual wolf, but he noticed similarities with Jabra and knew people would make comparissions.. so poof!, Yamato now looks nothing like a wolf.
    Yamato looks decently close to a wolf to me (obviously with "divine" elements thrown in). Just not a "wolf by way of Looney Tunes" like Jabra.

    Black tea is best enjoyed with one's fellow monsters.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Robin seeing through the illusions of her loved one symbolizes that she has moved on from her past and found her place amongst the Strawhats.


  11. #31

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Robin's not only finally getting her fight, but it's now become an actual 1v1 fight, fuck yes!!!

  12. #32
    Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Somewhere I belong

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Robin sure is lucky she lives in a shonen manga as a main character, because what Sanji did in other genre would not go well otherwise. How very naive, selling out a friend in the midst of war?

    If OP is not a shonen manga and Robin is not a main character, she will be defeated badly and Kaido would've gained a Poneglyph reader with a badly mangled body.

    I still wish Oda went about Sanji's calling help moment in other way.

    Other than that, awesome chapter! For these 3-4 chapters the quality has been very consistent. No more frantic scene jumps too which I like so much.
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

  13. #33

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    The interactions between Brook and Robin were great, classic Straw Hat stuff. I also liked Robin telling Black Maria to go stuff her opinions about Sanji.

    I'm so over Yamato, though. Just... done. Done talking about him, done reading about him getting nothing done, done done done. I don't think he'll join and I don't think he was necessary at all. Can't wait for Luffy to get back up there so we can be done with this part of the Kaido fight.

  14. #34

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Very enjoyable! Love that bonding between Robin and Brook! Also really loved Robin's words about Sanji. @Syphin and @Zar you two got me considering even more weight to that dialogue.

    One thing I've always loved about One Piece is that an enemy could bring forth a new technique that threatens to stop the hero cold but it ends up doing absolutely nothing.

    Can't wait to get a full explanation on why Kaidou settled in Wano. Hopefully it makes for a compelling back story that ties all this open borders stuff neatly.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  15. #35
    Gone Stealth Black Kishido's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Gonna be annoying if people cling to the wings thing causing confusion, it's pretty clear in meaning especially if you've seen the explanation. Also nice to see the #2 comment being clarified as #2 bounty. People still gonna fight tho.

    Great chapter, Robin weeks are always the best. I'm expecting it to be a beat down though. Just happy Brook is sidelining himself for it. Speaking of, interesting to see he is willing to fight girls despite being a pervert. I know there was Big Mom, but that was off-paneled.

    Can't wait to see a Caribou update in another 30 chapters.
    At least the Spanish release for the translation right

    Dunno why Stephen has done it like that

  16. #36

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Kaido cared about what was reported in the paper concerning Luffy and cares about this deity stuff. I don't have enough proof, but I think he was sold on something concerning a war and Wano like how Who's Who was infatuated with Nika. Maybe Higurashi knew this and plot with Orochi to use this and sell Kaido this tale.

    He tries to kill himself knowing these things. From attempting to join the MF war to his suicide attempts, I think most of this confirms to him that this future war will happen and he plays a part whether it's his son or his underlings. I don't see him as the type to care for legacy or notoriety tho. I need more from Kaido. Oda is dragging his characterization and i'm enjoying how he does it surprisingly. I thought he was this bland, chaotic, muscle head at first. The 2 last parts can be true, but I see more to it.

    Killing Higurashi, caring about "pirate" making it to the people, his WB compliment.

  17. #37

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Yams seems to be holding off Dado about as well as i expected. And i absolutely loved Brook and Robin bonding over both being broken birds, and the Robin moment where spiderbutt misunderstood how she felt about Sunker was quite sweet as well. I'm kind of suprised by how different that female number looked, she seemed smarter and more normal looking than most

  18. #38
    Discovered Stowaway fana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    France

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    That official translation for the wings line is really awkward.

    https://twitter.com/sandman_AP/statu...11014480568320

    I trust Sandman's opinion on the matter. Because of that, I'm hyped in what could happen soon for Sanji and Zoro to elevates them in status to the world.

  19. #39

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    I don't see why the wing translation is that much a problem.
    People really likes to make a fuss of minor details when we finally have a robin fight and her interactions with Brook were great

  20. #40

    Default Re: Chapter 1.020: Robin vs Black Maria

    Quote Originally Posted by fana View Post
    That official translation for the wings line is really awkward.
    The idiom itself is really awkward in English.

    The spoiler translation used "He is the one fit to be “The wings of the Pirate King”
    which leaves out the part of the idiom that refers to a pair of individuals.

    Fan translation went with "He's one of the wings that will allow the pirate king to soar"
    but that is clunky as hell and sounds like complete gibberish, unless you've had it explained to you, and even then...

    Since we don't have the phrase, or any real equivalent, it's not instinctive insight for an English audience that "and she's also talking about Zoro."

    It's kind of like how in Ranma they would make jokes about Genma panda and bread because they sound similar in Japanese, but there's just no way to make that work with a literal translation. Or how the new Eva dub insists on calling them "the first children" "the second children" etc. instead of "child."

    Sometimes you have to move away from literal translation to make something sound right to the native audience and stands on its own as a phrase, even if it loses a tiny nuance.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts