Default Red Hood

Red Hood
    Genre: Fantasy, Action, Shounen
    Author: Kawaguchi Yuuki
    Serialization: Weekly Shounen Jump
    Publisher: Shueisha

Chapter 1

Default Re: Red Hood

Is this from an assistant that worked on My Hero Academia? They style in the faces is pretty similar.

So far I enjoyed the first chapter. I liked the designs, the tools the plot so far.

I like the art but WHY would you put the color spread at the start that shows the ending to the first chapter?

That's a weird choice.

Nothing really gripping with the first chapter but it could grow into something.
    Last edited by Robby; June 27th, 2021 at 12:54 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

The monster design was cool, with cartoony movements but stylized as horror. Red Hood looks like Kusuri from 100 girlfriends.
    Wash your hands.

That is the most meaty Red Hood I've ever seen, a real bombshell.

I guess her child appearance is meant for travelling incognito.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Yeah, Grimm is such a babe (as in, her adult form). I like that the werewolves look really freakish and monstrous and not generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Is this from an assistant that worked on My Hero Academia? They style in the faces is pretty similar.
    I was wondering that aswell. Not only the main characters but one of the villagers totally looked like Endeavor without his powers activated. I was wondering if the MHA mangaka wanted to challenge himsef and do two series at the same time.^^

So far I enjoyed the first chapter. I liked the designs, the tools the plot so far.
    Same here. Nothing spectacular but interesting enough for me to want to see where this goes. Gonna follow this manga for now.

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

Yes, they were an assistant on MHA

https://twitter.com/ShonenSalto/stat...96632378335236

The werewolf was clearly based on the Demogorgon from Strager Things, but it was a nice read overall and the art was really good.
    I'll keep checking it out.

Reminds me of that other series made by Kishimoto's twin brother.

The art was really nice, but other than that it was merely ok. Nothing really stood out.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

I am weak for fantasy settings, the first chapter was fun, not great, but still fine. It shows promise though, I am really looking foward to the monsters designs, I hope the author keeps them weird instead of straightfoward ones.

Aside from the nice designs, the art itself was pretty good, you can really see Hori´s influence.

Same. Art is good, the monsters could be especially enjoyable if author doesn't stick with werewolves as the only adversaries.
    Story is a vanilla shonen introduction though. Waiting to see if it can improve, but the art alone won't be enough to hold me if not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

Lurking since 2007... Nidhoeggr's Avatar

The art was good, but what was up with those panel lines and boxes on the two pages with the book? Way to ruin a perfectly fine potential doublespread.
    Last edited by Nidhoeggr; July 1st, 2021 at 02:45 AM.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. - Sun Tzu, The Art Of War

That's a trick to tell you the order of reading (top right, bottom right, top left, bottom left instead og top right, top left and then bottom). My guess is that the text was supposed to follow the same way you'd read the book, but it was ambiguous so they added the lines.
    Wash your hands.

I liked these first chapters, although I feel that right now the author has a pacing problem, since it seems this first introductory arc is not over yet. The art is good and there are some really cool panelling choices, but like with Hori, sometimes it´s hard to follow the action (the art is sometimes too busy for me) The main characters have a good chemistry going on so far, the fact that the kid doesn´t have a grand dream is nice too.

Overall I hope this survives, but I won´t get my hopes up, Jump can be too merciless.

The big wolf and the witch seem like the first hint of a major enemy, which is good because it gives the manga a direction. They'll probably wrap the next chapter as an epilogue like they did with Dr. Stone (and with i tell c, which flopped anyway), it seems like a common thing when the early chapters lose steam.
    Right now, the worldbuilding is lacking. We know werewolves, magic materials and magic tools exist, but it's not clear the accesibility of these materials and tools, or the technology level of humans, or the standing of the humans vs werevolves (plus other creatures) conflict.
    Wash your hands.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

I, for one, was amusing myself with the slower pace. The only hard sequence I found to follow was how the wolf was somehow precisely above the chimney when Lou "fired" it. Nice read all in all.

So far the story hasn't been doing much for me, but it looks like next chapter might be the actual inciting incident that tries to grip us for the rest of the series.

That's fine but the author hasn't earned my trust yet, I don't know that this is going to be any sort of long runner. He didn't blow us out of the water with potential in the first chapter, so it's gotta do something big now.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'd rather the author won't rush things and take his time, dialogue and narrative are what make a story.

In fact, I have to say that I'm impressed by how much time he spent writing what is essentially just the prologue, few authors take this long to wrap things up.

But the appearance of those two is not a coincidence. They were biding their time, and the wolves were just pawns.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information