+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Red Hood

Default Re: Red Hood

I like the art. It seems -- self-aware? The gun is a "checkov series", everything seems a bit over the top. I guess I also thought Black Clover was satire for the first few chapters too so maybe I'm wrong.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

It has me hooked for now we'll see where it goes from here.

extra point for enemy design
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

A five chapter prologue, can't recall when was the last time I read one this long.

The setup is done, the main antagonist faction has been officially introduced, and the one thing that was holding back the boy is gone. Grimn is infamously known and feared ( read: respected), but that was to be expected.

Looking forward to the next arc.
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

Wow,, the official trandlation is literally "That wasn't the power of friendship". If that's not some creative freedom from the translators then pluspoints for the mangaka here.

This manga still seems intriguing and charming to me. I'm gonna read the first big arc for sure before I reconsider anything about it.
    We all float down here!

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

Bashing the power of frendship is a funny device, though it's been used recently used by Mashima of all people so it didn't have much impact for me. The lumbering giant and the crabs were cool worldbuilding, but it's still to soon to know which element will receive focus. Too many series have an interesting setting but focus too much on a tiny subset.
    Wash your hands.

Does anyone know what the overall Japanese reception has been on red hood? I really want to see it survive.

Discovered Stowaway El-Matematico's Avatar

I don't have much hope. Not only was the first mini arc a bit bland, but we had 3 breaks in a very short time which makes people lose interest.
    Wash your hands.

Lost interest after about two chapters and they bored me to tears. I see this getting the axe. It needs something really big to turn things around because when you lose readers early on; they usually don't come back.

Jacked Mina was not expected lol.

Well, we're getting quick exposition on the whole "why does this kid have a wolfsbane axe thing" plotline. People are saying this series will get cut, but I hope it doesn't - if only for the art and setting I'd like to see where it goes.

It's kinda obvious that one or both of Veelo's parents were big shot in the guild. Now, is the mayor, also a werewolf?

So Grimm isn't the main character. Sad.

Also fare the well old man Bremen. You were far too good for us.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

While reading the chapter I immediately thought of the Entrance Exam of HxH, but it seems some very personal issues are getting screentime soon and the smell of drama is delicious.

I hope this series doesn’t get axed. I don’t know how it’s doing on the ToC listing but I’ve seen an small yet active support group. It’s def better than most of Magu-chan, Elusive Samurai and the Candy shonen have cooked up to now.

Quote Originally Posted by puffing.cinema View Post
    I hope this series doesn’t get axed. I don’t know how it’s doing on the ToC listing but I’ve seen an small yet active support group. It’s def better than most of Magu-chan, Elusive Samurai and the Candy shonen have cooked up to now.
    Quote Originally Posted by opbg View Post
    [FONT="]Does anyone know what the overall Japanese reception has been on red hood? I really want to see it survive.[/FONT]
    Quote Originally Posted by opbg View Post
    Does anyone know what the overall Japanese reception has been on red hood? I really want to see it survive.
    Since you asked this in both this thread and the actual series thread...

Series are "safe" for their first 10 chapters, (unless they're mega disasters) but their placement order in the magazine tends to be equivalent to how they're generally ranking, based on the polls from three issues earlier.

The first three issues they have no data so a series is just sort of put into the top 5 by default, and it has color pages to boost it for the first two chapter.

The fourth chapter was in issue 35, and it was ranked 9th there and 8th in 36/37. But those placements would have been in response to the super sized first chapter and the second with a color page, 38 is the first time its really getting judged.

And in issue 38 it was 12th.

So its not doing so badly that it's in immediate danger of being cancelled, but it's not doing well either. Its probably not going to make it past 2 volumes unless it's second arc is significantly better than the first and does something to make itself more interesting in a hurry.

Sorry, but it's not that compelling or interesting. The art is good but the first arc is a complete failure of an attention grabber or a motivator and the characters don't have much personality at this point. It's lacking that key "okay, now I want to see this guy survive everything and overcome that initial obstacle" or real hook of "I need to save my sister from being a demon!" or "how do we assassinate a god" or "my entire life is a lie and we've been raised as demon food, how to we escape?" sort of thing.

"I want to protect my village... that burned to the ground and had all the people scatter because the big villains let us go"... just isn't going to cut it. That's not a compelling hook. It had its chance to give us the juicy driving moment in chapter 5 after a slow build up and it completely dropped the ball. It introduced mega-bads and did nothing with them. Nor did it pull any big surprises.

The art is solid and there's some neat things in it like the tank crab, but that's not enough unless we get a lot more of that sort of thing.

Author might need to get a writer to co-work with, or just take another stab at something else down the line with a little more experience.

He might, MIGHT be able to limp along in the middle ranks for a while, but its going to have to improve a lot to stick around. I really wouldn't expect more than two volumes, don't get your hopes up too high.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I've really been enjoying this series, it's a shame that it doesn't seem to be doing too well. I honestly wish it was in a different Shueisha publication or a different magazine entirely. As I've gotten older I've really come to dislike how strict Weekly Jump is and how quickly some series get axed. Sometimes it takes a while for a story to really get going.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleWizard View Post
    Sometimes it takes a while for a story to really get going.
    It's fine if a story takes a while to REALLY get going... it does take time to set up things to pay off and soemtimes you need to juggle in new characters before something clicks. (Dragonball was famously not well received at first)... but it should be interesting and compelling and have you grabbed from the start.

Even if the first arc isn't the best the series will ever do, it should still have you desperate to see the hero keep going and suceed at his dream. Doing it all for one of their family, or proving those assholes wrong, or to honor a passed on mentor are great shortcuts for this, but not the only method..

Red Hood has done nothing to make the hero really stand out and his motivation is weak. "I want to go hunt werewolves... so that no other villages have everyone let go by the big bads peacefully" is not motivating.

The end of the newest chapter doesn't really help that either. That's less "oh my what could that lead to?!?" and more "oh, that's how they're going to wrap it up suddenly in 12 chapters."

THis series will probably get canned after chapter 19 to allow for 2 volumes, the artist will keep assisting on something, and then try again in six or nine months with something a little stronger.

I do really like the art though, it reminds mme a lot of Legend from Darkwood, and that was a fantastic short series.

Last edited by Robby; August 22nd, 2021 at 04:48 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Red Hood has done nothing to make the hero really stand out and his motivation is weak. "I want to go hunt werewolves... so that no other villages have everyone let go by the big bads peacefully" is not motivating.
    Okay okay, we get it. Not enough oomph from the antagonists. You're not wrong, but having humanized, nuanced bad guys from the start without some asspull or flashback (actually, I was abused! ha ha, now I'm a sympathetic boxer) is a strength. It feels more adult than the blatantly manipulative over-the-top evils that some stories go for to hook people. I understand that clickbait works, but I'd like to see a slower start be rewarded.

If it doesn't work out, I'll gladly check out the artist's next attempt(s) in the future.

Sure, nuanced villains are good.

But its not even about *that*. You don't have to have a truly hateable or memorable villain to start with. Dragonball and One Piece and Naruto and a whole bunch of other series sure didn't. But there was a promise to be kept, a goal, a mission statement, a desire you could empathize with and root for. Or at the very least, a main character that left a major impression. Heck in Bakuman it's "I want to be a successful manga creator and then we can get married", no antagonist at all. .But that's a driving force you can get behind.

Meanwhile Time Paradox Ghostwriter the lead's motive was "i am going to rip off someone else's work and take credit for it" and that killed the series from chapter 1.

What is the hero's motivation here? What is he trying to accomplish or prove? His end goal? The series is named after Red so is she the actual lead? What's actually pushing him to go through training?

He's just kind of a blank slate right now, and that would be fine if we'd gotten to see his shaping event but... that didn't really happen.

It doesn't HAVE to start with a tragedy or a super evil villain, but... "Werewolves are bad... I guess... so I want to train to beat them hypothetically to protect my village that no longer exists anyway" just... isn't it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Sure, nuanced villains are good.

But its not even about *that*. You don't have to have a truly hateable or memorable villain to start with. Dragonball and One Piece and Naruto and a whole bunch of other series sure didn't. But there was a promise to be kept, a goal, a mission statement, a desire you could empathize with and root for. Or at the very least, a main character that left a major impression. Heck in Bakuman it's "I want to be a successful manga creator and then we can get married", no antagonist at all. .But that's a driving force you can get behind.

Meanwhile Time Paradox Ghostwriter the lead's motive was "i am going to rip off someone else's work and take credit for it" and that killed the series from chapter 1.

What is the hero's motivation here? What is he trying to accomplish or prove? His end goal? The series is named after Red so is she the actual lead? What's actually pushing him to go through training?

He's just kind of a blank slate right now, and that would be fine if we'd gotten to see his shaping event but... that didn't really happen.

It doesn't HAVE to start with a tragedy or a super evil villain, but... "Werewolves are bad... I guess... so I want to train to beat them hypothetically to protect my village that no longer exists anyway" just... isn't it.
    I get that too, and the idea of having a 'hook' isn't wild. But I don't think I cared about Ging until decades after Gon decided to leave the village and find his deadbeat dad - I just liked the writing, the sense of adventure, and later the cast of characters. I don't think I was ever emotionally invested in Luffy becoming the Pirate King until well after Arlong Park arc, maybe the Baratie bit, but I liked the 'romance dawn' vibe. Heck, I really enjoyed Memories of Emanon, and Eden It's an Endless World, tons of others, way before there was any compelling storyline, or a reason to sympathise heavily with any characters.

So I see where you're coming from. From a purely "will it be axed from Jump magazine?" standpoint, that's valuable. I just don't think it's the be all and end all, and I am expressing my hope that the series survives, because I like the vibe.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information