View Poll Results: Who is Luffy's 10th Person?

Voters
359. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamato

181 50.42%
  • Shinobu

1 0.28%
  • An Akazaya Samurai (Kin'emon, Kiku, etc.)

1 0.28%
  • Momo

9 2.51%
  • Tama

9 2.51%
  • Carrot

68 18.94%
  • A Supernova (Law, Drake, Bonney, etc.)

7 1.95%
  • Caribou

6 1.67%
  • Other

28 7.80%
  • None: Jinbe is the final Straw Hat

49 13.65%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 418 of 478 FirstFirst ... 318 368 408 416 417 418 419 420 428 468 ... LastLast
Results 8,341 to 8,360 of 9545

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 8 - Onigashima)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    If Yamato was a huge fan of Montblanc Noland, absolutely no one would be having a problem.

But because he's mythicized and dedicated himself to a guy he doesn't even really know, well...

After the arc is done he'll be able to talk to people that actually knew the man and that should temper some things.
    Yep, Yamato decided to emulate a man she barely even knows and will never personally know, and constantly tries to think of what he would do, which even journal writings can even elaborate so much on. That’s why it will be pretty satisfying if she chooses to follow Luffy since she can’t personally follow Oden, and do it as herself on her own terms instead of on Oden’s terms.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Rich View Post
    Is "pushing out" pain and fatigue the same as curing/healing injuries and ailments? That power of the Paw Fruit is comparable to having anesthetic properties. The damage is there but in Luffy's case, he doesn't feel the damage. And there is bound to be limits to what can be "pushed".

A learning period is feasible for the next user akin to Sabo eating the Flame Fruit.

I don't see Kuma living. His story is pointing to being more tragic with each new detail. A fatality happened at the Levely. I don't see Oda killing Luffy's brother again so I'm leaning towards Kuma being that death.
    I don't think it'll happen but reading this make me think of a scenario.

Sabo is found and chased, now he's trying to fight his way out with a non-responsive Kuma. Vivi is also targetted (I guess by the other members of CP0 or maybe the new CP9) and gets caught up in the big battle (Cobra dies, I just like this theory the more I see it). Green Bull shows up ready to capture/kill Sabo. Other Revolutionary commanders can't do anything. Then Kuma's long thought dead mind overcomes his pacifista programming, knocks a celestial dragon out, and sacrifices himself Ace style to save Sabo (if Oda had the time, nice flashback of Kuma meeting Sabo and them becoming friends within the revolution). Kuma dies. In that occurrence, his paw paw ability respawns in a new fruit. Sabo leaves with it and Vivi, they escape and Vivi later on eats it or Vivi eats it right then and there and sends her and Sabo flying for 3 days.

Sabo gets blamed for all the deaths (WG burns body to complete the frame job). This is why Dadan reacts the way she does at the newspaper.

Just like that you get Vivi back with a DF ability.

That's just me ignoring a lot of other stuff about this Vivi paw paw user idea.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Inuyasha is pretty cool tho, I would totally loved if each SH was inspired by several protagonistic characters of other series.

An assembly of most remarkable and memorable manga/anime combined.

Also, I'm still in plain denial that Yamato is going to be colored white, its already way to Sulong in black and white manga, but that pretty much murders the theory that both Yams and Carrot would join, since it would leave a terrible precedent that one of the most creative authors in history, suddenly had a lag in creativity.

I'm still confident is going to be mostly yellow and look like Renamon, the crew doesn't have many yellow anyways.
    He might be those colors on the tips of his hair

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by astagadragon View Post
    The fact that you (and some ppl here) wish for Carrot to get a DF proves how bland she is by default, no?

And moreover you think the myth wolf DF will somehow supporting Carrot? How convenient... and again, proving that Yamato is so unique and powerful she somehow can support the other member just by using her DF power
    Disagree, because this would combat the whole criticism she has nothing unique for her. It literally proves the opposite. As for Yamato having a DF that could help Carrot achieve Sulong, the only reason Im putting that on the top of the ideas I'd like to be true, is because Yamato's DF is now confirmed to be a wolf-type, rather than Tiger type.

If you are aware of the symbolism of the wolf in general, you'd know the Moon is a gigantic image associated with the wolf. So its no weird thing for me to suggest this idea that Yamato's DF may have lunar-based abilities as a wolf deity who has been stated, again, to be the "Guardian Deity of Wano", which again, is heavily tied to Moon symbolism in nearly everything. So in turn, it shouldn't be strange or hell, "offending" that Yamato could help Carrot out.

Hell, the fact Yamato may have ice-flames only supports this idea of mine more, because, once again, the Moon is said to be both extremely cold and extremely hot due to a lack of a atmosphere, and because the Sun provides the Moon with its light. So Oda can easily fold in moon-powers of a sort if he decided to do so, especially because its a obscure deity to begin with, so its free real estate.

Heck's Kaido's DF symbolizes the Azure Dragon perfectly because it represents the element of Wood, using its air-relation, as air/wind is synonymous with Wood in Wu Xing. Besides Kaido's general ability to use air and wind, his other abilities fits with the element in the following ways, even going as far to have Wood work with two of these abilities:

Kaido's Blast Breath = fire is fueled by air. Anime literally depicts him inhaling air before charging up his attack. For Wood, well wood creates fire.
    Kaido's Lightning Attacks = lightning is the result of air becoming ionized along with other factors in play. Lightning is attracted to trees.
    Kaido's Weather Manipulation = manipulating air/wind is a core component for weather control in general.

So Yamato's DF have moon powers isn't so strange anymore and only fits if Oda does incorporate the symbolism of the wolf into this wolf deity.

And its because of that, I still think both are going to join unless Carrot goes a different way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    I guess it really comes down to if you like or dislike or can tolerate the character being imitated/worshipped consistently.

I don't mind Oden. Enjoyed him. Found him a bit annoying in the anime but that's it. So a character wanting to be like him to an extreme degree the way Oda does it doesn't even make me blink. Plus I enjoy the humor that comes with it.

If Franky was running around Water 7 saying "I am Tom-san!" over and over I wouldn't have minded it much either.

This just seems like you really don't find anything about it funny. I think you may have to figure out a way to deal with that if Oda doesn't drop it cuz at best he'll lessen it at times.
    Yeah, I don't like it. That said, I have no problem to deal with it. Yamato will just not be a favorite of mine despite the great DF Yamato has. And that is fine, I mean I have seen people hate Sanji because of his pervertness or Brook for his sexual harassments and making a gigantic big deal about that, even its just fictional characters.

Just to be clear though, I don't enjoy those traits specifically of Sanji and Brook. I like those characters of other reasons:

1. Sanji because of his repeated but never getting old feud with Zoro.
    2. Brook because of his skull jokes.

If Yamato has a trait that makes me laugh, i can easily ignore the whole "I'm Oden" act. Doesn't make it less annoying.

Honestly, the "I'm Oden" stuff isn't nearly as bad as it was from the beginning. At least through his journey in the raid, he's been coming more into his own. I don't expect it to completely disappear, but I just don't find it annoying
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Quote Originally Posted by starlalilymoon View Post
    I think Yamato's personality is more like Luffy's to be honest.
    I mean there is a certain amount of overlap betwenn Chopper and Luffy but i'd argue that Luffy has a more prominent side that has more in common with people like Oden. Y'know that inherent confidence, never second guessing himself despite being dumb as a bag of rocks side. Having no care about what others think about him, always doing only what he wants when he wants to etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FelRes View Post
    Randolph was a cooler rabbit concept, being a homie and having a crane mount and dressing like a cavalier. Plus spears are cool and not used too much.
    Why did you have to go and re-open that wound.

Poor Randy deserved better.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Yeah it's something I think is being purposely ignored cuz of bias or just blinded by Oden hate cuz when you look at the actual character of Yamato he's really not that much like Oden. He's a pretty odd well meaning person.
    One could always mentally insert extreme parody of a mans man Oden in place of Yams at any point of the story and see if it would change in anyway. I mean since Yams is apparently just being Oden and not himself trying to be like what he imagines Oden to be like it should be a 1:1 transfer.

So to be upfront, I am a believer of the number theory and don't really like Yamato, so personally at face value I thought his fruit flat out confirmed he wouldn't be joining. But I'm not close minded, and I have come up with an idea that I think has a solid chance of maybe being the solution.

First of all, I have to say I don't actually know for sure if this is accurate since I don't know Japanese, but I do remember one of the previously posted lists of possible 2.9 names said Fuko fit and means Wolf. So what if the Inu Inu Model Ooguchi no Makami name is there to throw us off, to make people who believe the number theory think Yamato is definitely not joining, but then we get a scene where the fruit is nicknamed the "Fuko Fuko Fruit"?

This could also solve the "guardian deity" issue as well, that could be how the scene plays out. During the wrap up of the arc Yamato decides he can't join because he has to stay as a guardian deity, but then Momo/Kinemon says "What are you talking about? Its jusy the Fuko Fuko Fruit, there's nothing holding you back from having an adventure." Yes that's a super crappy example, just something like that.

As a believer of the theory, I'm not so precious about it that I'm against a loophole like this, and I think it would be a potentially clever way of for Oda to hold to the numbers without making it obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon Panthera View Post
    Disagree, because this would combat the whole criticism she has nothing unique for her. It literally proves the opposite.
    I don't follow your logic here. If something new is required to combat the criticism about Carrot's uniqueness doesn't that imply that whatever she has going for her right now wasn't enough to do so on its own, thus indirectly proving that the criticism was legitimate?

I hope in a year when everything is settled people stop thinking about obscure reasons and instead follow what is the author trying to communicate and what is healthy for the story.
    People that do not seem to have a grasp of that are probably the same that thought real Oden was alive all those weeks back.
    To me it's just crazy that people hold onto something like the number theory over what Oda communicates directly in the story and what seems to be the healthiest most natural character arcs.
    Like stuff like the number theory is cute and it's cool if all falls into place or what not but if you genuinely actually think about doing story things you're actually crazy if you think a consideration like that will ever overwrite actual narrative setup. It's hard enough to make a story good I doubt there is a successfully published author(for print type media, in my experience it can be a bit different for games) in the world that will obsess over weird meta patterns to bend their story to meet those.

Basically my main point really is if Oda's intention was to fit the number theory he has not set himself up to do it for Wano, the same way if Oda's intention was for Yamato to stay on the island as some of you still seem to believe, he's not set himself up to that either.

Tama and Yamato are connected to Ace. They both spent time with Momo and were hurt by Kaido at some point. I think they may end up as retainers.

Discovered Stowaway astagadragon's Avatar

Tbh I never believe in number theory at all. You'd think if Oda really had that in mind he would show a character with DF that fit those numbers as a legitimate new nakama candidate... but no, amongst crewmate candidates he instead shows: 1) minks, or 2) dango girl, or 3) mythical wolf.

So I think the number theory is either has been smothered slowly by Oda... or he will use it on later day with a totally unexpected fruit etc (not Kuma or Kinemon).
    "The rain has ceased, and we have been graced by another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it." - Elidibus

Discovered Stowaway Galleon Panthera's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    I don't follow your logic here. If something new is required to combat the criticism about Carrot's uniqueness doesn't that imply that whatever she has going for her right now wasn't enough to do so on its own, thus indirectly proving that the criticism was legitimate?
    Let me rephrase it. Currently the criticism that Carrot had no uniqueness to her in combat is legit (depending on the person really, as its not unanimous in this forum). Its the part where people say that even if she got a DF (emphasis on IF) or something else entirely that she still wouldn't be unique. That is where I disagreed on with the previous poster, because it would do the exact opposite, which is combating the original criticism....as in fixing that issue that people are so hung up on.

To me, I find Carrot unique enough to join. For me, she has no real need to get fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    He might be those colors on the tips of his hair
    Shouldn't look black somewhere then? Like the tips of his hair?

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Shouldn't look black somewhere then? Like the tips of his hair?
    Not if Oda is trying to make it look more energy or flame. It can still have those elements in color even if the BW art doesn't support it.

Oda's not super consistent about what colors should be black or not, he just goes with what's best on the page.

Like Jinbe's current outfit is a *lighter* orange than his first one, almost yellow, but its inked black to be visually distinct and thematic.

Or like every single beast pirate outfit is black, but the anime made them a wide variety of colors.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Toko's black hair being pink tripped everyone out
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー´)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

Also Queen’s blonde hair being black in the manga. Oda aims at contrast, not color consistency, In his b/w character designs.
    My Wano predictions: All Straw Hats will get fights in Wano, but not in Act 3; There will be 5 acts; The Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Yamato will become a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5 to issue a challenge; We are going to Mary Geoise after Wano.

Thankfully Carrot can be let go of soon, what an annoying following

Carrot is set to have a conclusion to her character arc. Her arc is on hold right now, but it will be picked up again at some point. Until then, she has some chance.

No one considered Jinbe’s story was over when he skipped Punk Hazard, Dressrosa, Zou or Wano acts 1 and 2. Carrot’s moment is still coming. I don’t think she will join, but I have no doubt her arc is not over and will get a powerful conclusion.
    Last edited by Deicide; August 3rd, 2021 at 10:35 AM.
    My Wano predictions: All Straw Hats will get fights in Wano, but not in Act 3; There will be 5 acts; The Big Mom Pirates will arrive; Yamato will become a Kouzuki samurai and Wano's Guardian; Shanks will visit Luffy in Act 5 to issue a challenge; We are going to Mary Geoise after Wano.

The Inu Inu no Mi, Model: Okuchi no Makami having a certain overlap with the Mink makes a lot of sense.

Considering the intimate relationship Wano has with Zou, it follows that a Devil Fruit Form that has overlap with the Mink visually would be a form respected/revered by the people of Wano.

The potential history of Wano hinted at through the Okuchi no Makami Devil Fruit conveys a further relevance for both Yamato and the Mink in regards to Wano. I can see where the argument of Yamato remaining in Wano comes from and that is a legitimate view but I am interpreting the presented information in a difference light. Wano is going to challenge/stand against the World Government once the borders are open and Yamato will be the piece Momonosuke uses to see about the arrival of the Dawn i.e. sending Yamato beyond Wano Kuni to see the journey Joy Boy left unfulfilled, complete.

Further, I am curious about the origins of Kaido's knowledge of Wano Kuni. I don't believe Rocks visited Wano Kuni as no mention of it was made during Oden's flashback - all we got was a statement of the former Rocks Pirates gathering new "comrades". Rocks's may have told Kaido about the importance of Wano or Kaido may have found out about Wano's relevance after his experience on God Valley - is this where Kaido also found out about the Okuchi no Makami Fruit? I suspect the Devil Fruit resided outside Wano Kuni. There is a story behind Yamato's Devil Fruit and I am very curious about it.

Xebec D. Rocks has a story yet to be told and while it may be saved to highlight Teach's motives and actions, the story of Kaido and Rocks could be leveraged to substantiate Yamato's opposition to the Blackbeard Pirates (if Ace and the pathing of the Straw Hat Pirates aren't enough).

Personally, I find Yamato be an incredibly fascinating character with a vast potential in regards to evolving the current One Piece story being told. The expansive room Yamato has for interpretation in regards to their role also makes him an exciting character to theorize about.

I was for Momo and then I realized that his arc is not about fulfilling Oden's shoes, but the opposite. He has to have and SPEAK his own dream. We know this because of Kaido, which makes it all the more ironic that he's attempting to bend Yamato to his will. Momo has to stay in Wano to fulfill what Oden wasn't fit for and Yamato probably should sail with Luffy, but at least definitely isn't going to be Shogun.

If there's any hesitance for me with Yamato being the next crewmate it's because I find the Oden emulation to be kind of lame (so lame that it gives more credence to the idea of Oden being a Gary Stu character than anything else including the entire flashback) and the sense I got from this chapter is that it's not something Yamato will or should (in the logic of the series itself) grow out of. But Oda has laid it out so that it would make a lot of narrative sense for a lot more reasons than anyone else's joining would.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information