+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 963: Becoming Samurai

Default Re: Chapter 963: Becoming Samurai

Great chapter, I like Whitey Bay's outfit in the flashback. I'm really enjoying this flashback I like that we're getting to see how Oden got to traveled with Whitebeard and his crew.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningAce View Post
    Whitebeard's bisento is 1 of the 12 Supreme Grade blades, its not gonna get damaged even if he wasn't using haki and Oden was with his swords...
    Still, with how wary Whitebeard was and even warning his crew to stay back, it is either too careless act or that he underestimated Oden which doesn't make any sense considering how wary he was.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Even Zoro who had only 2 years of haki training was checking his swords after his haki clash with Pika.

If anything, this Flashback is just setting up how powerful Oden actually was. Kaido's massive scar is a testament to his power. I really wonder how he was defeated.

Momonosuke being his son means that he has great great potential to become a powerful shogun of Wano if trained properly.

Mangaspoiler Emigrant RigaCrypto's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanErrorist View Post
    If anything, this Flashback is just setting up how powerful Oden actually was. Kaido's massive scar is a testament to his power. I really wonder how he was defeated
    Well, maybe as an last effort to proctect his family, he surrendered his life in exchange for his family's safety but eventually Orochi didn't honour the pact.

First chapter I liked Oden on some level. Especially with his daddy. I was also invested in the retainers plight to become worthy of their savior. Reminded me the strawhats in an endearing way.

Im not sure why Oden would be attacking someone hes trying to convince to let him join. It would make more sense if he asked and attacked Whitebeard once he refused.

Young Neko looks like a fake tiger instead of a cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post
    Still, with how wary Whitebeard was and even warning his crew to stay back, it is either too careless act or that he underestimated Oden which doesn't make any sense considering how wary he was.

Even Zoro who had only 2 years of haki training was checking his swords after his haki clash with Pika.
    Or maybe Oda just forgot to color it? he's been giving the wrong timestamps for several chapters now, so it's not that far-fetched that he would forget something like that.
    At this point we should assume that if a character can use haki, then they're using it. At least on some level.

Quote Originally Posted by mbaruh View Post
    Or maybe Oda just forgot to color it? he's been giving the wrong timestamps for several chapters now, so it's not that far-fetched that he would forget something like that.
    At this point we should assume that if a character can use haki, then they're using it. At least on some level.
    Several? I thought it was just the one time, which was promptly corrected.

Anyhow, this isn't pre-timeskip, if he didn't color it, it's intentional.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    Several? I thought it was just the one time, which was promptly corrected.

Anyhow, this isn't pre-timeskip, if he didn't color it, it's intentional.
    Can't completely rule that out, it happened several times post TS and was corrected on volumes(black hardening).
    Now that I think about it this could be it, or at least I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    F

Im not sure why Oden would be attacking someone hes trying to convince to let him join.
    To make sure they at least could block such an attack, to check if they qualify/test them..etc that's how it seemed to me.

Im not sure why Oden would be attacking someone hes trying to convince to let him join. It would make more sense if he asked and attacked Whitebeard once he refused.
    Isn't there this old asian cliche that exchanging blows is the best way to get to know each other? At least among martial artists or something.
    I thought something similiar is going on here. Not to test WB's power, but his nature. I assume Oden already realized how powerful he is (just like WB sensed Oden from a mile away).

Quote Originally Posted by Kaizoku_Ou View Post

To make sure they at least could block such an attack, to check if they qualify/test them..etc that's how it seemed to me.
    It just seems incredibly stupid. So if the person with a boat is weaker he's going to continue rotting in his country instead of accomplishing his long time goal of leaving? Also he can just attack him after he has accepted the invitation. I have a hard time imagining where attacking before talking is not moronic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    Isn't there this old asian cliche that exchanging blows is the best way to get to know each other? At least among martial artists or something.
    I thought something similiar is going on here. Not to test WB's power, but his nature. I assume Oden already realized how powerful he is (just like WB sensed Oden from a mile away).
    There's also theory that if you attack a stranger he might be less likely to want to do you a favor. I mean Roger didn't punch Ray when he saw him by his boat.

I feel like the cliché is usually used ion enemies that grows to respect each other after several intense battles like Roger and Garp or Roger and Whitebeard or Luffy and Smoker. Not I try to cut your head so you would like me.

I have a hard time imagining where attacking before talking is not moronic.
    Easy, be the most charismatic and audacious being (moron) on the whole island.
    "Often I think about my many comrades fallen by my side. I heard their curses against the war and its authors, the revolt against their murder. And I, as a survivor, believe that I am inspired by their will to struggle, for the idea of peace and human fraternity."
    Corp. Barthas, France, Feb. 1919

Bold of you to assume Oden is not a moron.

It just seems incredibly stupid. So if the person with a boat is weaker he's going to continue rotting in his country instead of accomplishing his long time goal of leaving? Also he can just attack him after he has accepted the invitation. I have a hard time imagining where attacking before talking is not moronic.
    Did you just realize that Oden is batshit crazy with no regards to consequences?

There's also theory that if you attack a stranger he might be less likely to want to do you a favor. I mean Roger didn't punch Ray when he saw him by his boat.
    I don't know, since Haki got a lot more development it seems that it's also a way to judge a character, at least to some degree. Just like Luffy can read people's intention when they try to hit him (no killing intent from Rebecca, Caribou acting like a wild beast etc.).

So Oden attacking Whitebeard is an honest "here I am!", nothing more. He sensed that WB is a monster, Whitebeard sensed that something powerful is approaching. They clash, no killing intent, just two dogs barking and sniffing their butts. One Piece style.
    You can lie with words, but you can't hide your true nature in a fight. At least that's how I interpret it.

I mean I do hope that Whitebeard will Quakepunch his face next chapter to establish some dominance, but Oden introducing himself wasn't that weird to me.
    Last edited by Jabra; November 26th, 2019 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsword View Post
    Did you just realize that Oden is batshit crazy with no regards to consequences?
    I'm fairly sure he would care about not getting on that boat since getting out of this country is all he wants.

I'm fairly sure he would care about not getting on that boat since getting out of this country is all he wants.
    The point is he's not a level headed fella. Beside, I'm sure he can sense how strong WB is.. that's his way of saying Hi.

I interpret the clash as his "resume" to join the WB pirates. A show of strength if you will.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabra View Post
    I don't know, since Haki got a lot more development it seems that it's also a way to judge a character, at least to some degree. Just like Luffy can read people's intention when they try to hit him (no killing intent from Rebecca, Caribou acting like a wild beast etc.).

So Oden attacking Whitebeard is an honest "here I am!", nothing more. He sensed that WB is a monster, Whitebeard sensed that something powerful is apporaching. They clash, no killing intent, just two dogs barking and sniffing their butts. One Piece style.
    You can lie with words, but you can't hide your true nature in a fight. At least that's how I interpret it.

I mean I do hope that Whitebeard will Quakepunch his face next chapter to establish some dominance, but Oden introducing himself wasn't that weird to me.
    Fair enough. When you put it that way it does sound like classic martial arts way of doing stuff. I thought it was a bit strange but it's more an observation than criticism.

Other observation it reminds me that moment where Luffy is running on Dressrosa to punch Fujitora.

Quote Originally Posted by SuburbanErrorist View Post
    If anything, this Flashback is just setting up how powerful Oden actually was. Kaido's massive scar is a testament to his power. I really wonder how he was defeated.

Momonosuke being his son means that he has great great potential to become a powerful shogun of Wano if trained properly.
    He's gonna have excellent Samurai to train him in swordsmanship

Maybe it will be revealed that Whitebeard has a superior form of Haki, invisible Haki

I wonder if Oden will train vista.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information