+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why was W7/TB decently paced despite also being about one chapter an episode?

Default Why was W7/TB decently paced despite also being about one chapter an episode?

Maybe it's just me but I watched those arcs in anime form finally earlier this year and neither felt poorly paced despite not adapting more than one chapter an episode most of the time. This is compared to now where the episodes drag like crazy and this is BEFORE Oda started packing every chapter with enough material for two chapters.

What happened?
    I'm gonna reach for the stars~~~

Default Re: Why was W7/TB decently paced despite also being about one chapter an episode?

Many on here would ague those twp arcs in particular were poorly paced
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Default Re: Why was W7/TB decently paced despite also being about one chapter an episode?

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Many on here would ague those twp arcs in particular were poorly paced
    Where? The train sequence from Water 7 in particular was pretty great to me. The pacing wasn't amazing but every sequence got all the attention it deserved. Zoro and Luffy breaking a hole through the water was way more epic in the anime because of that verses the manga.

Water 7/enies lobby was when the anime pacing went to shit, and it continues till today.

Anime wise water7/enies lobby wasn't that great. The best animated arc in One Piece is whole cake island, and I would argue they improved on the pacing a lot, by adding nice filler scenes that fit into story.

Both of those arcs had not so good pacing in certain spots. It's probably because you binge watched them. The issues don't linger in your mind very long because you don't have to wait a week inbetween episodes.

I think I may know why. Early Water 7 had a good buffer between it and the manga still. But almost every single Enies Lobby episode consist of HALF a recap and then ten to five minutes of decently paced stuff. That's why it feels like its more bearable.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I think I may know why. Early Water 7 had a good buffer between it and the manga still. But almost every single Enies Lobby episode consist of HALF a recap and then ten to five minutes of decently paced stuff. That's why it feels like its more bearable.
    That makes a lot of sense. They had an opening, an ending, and a 3 minute recap. Helped the actual adaption stuff be better paced.

I almost want that back...Almost.

There where a couple of episodes that used a chapter and a half, and even some that used 2. These days they NEVER go over 1 chapter. Also like people said above, all the filler of the opening, recap and ending make the actual content better paced. I wish they would bring all that stuff back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I almost want that back...Almost.
    Why wouldnt you want that back? you can just skip that shit

Quote Originally Posted by parappa View Post
    There where a couple of episodes that used a chapter and a half, and even some that used 2. These days they NEVER go over 1 chapter. Also like people said above, all the filler of the opening, recap and ending make the actual content better paced. I wish they would bring all that stuff back. Why wouldnt you want that back? you can just skip that shit
    That makes sense. Also I agree with your second half that if they brought it back it would be better because it's skippable. Especially because Oda puts enough in per chapter that a 14/15 minute episode would be well paced. I don't know how long a current OP episode is but DBS episodes were about 17 and a half minutes by the ToP if you included the recap, the opening, and the ending.

Hopefully OP can cut down a little too.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuka-chan~ View Post
    I don't know how long a current OP episode is but DBS episodes were about 17 and a half minutes by the ToP if you included the recap, the opening, and the ending.

Hopefully OP can cut down a little too.
    that's about what w7/EL was at too, they had a 2 1/2 minute opening song, then another 30 seconds of gold rodger talking, plus 2-3 minutes of recap.

Thriller Bark was where I stopped watching weekly and solely focused on the manga. The pacing got out of control, I mainly would check the anime out for "highlight" moments. "Oh, wonder how this was adapted."

Thanks to One Pace, I went back and rewatched the whole series last year and had a great experience. But TB was not well paced IMO, and a lot of that was the last straw breaking from how poorly handled Enies Lobby was as well. Water 7 is decent, the sea train is okay, Enies Lobby was not great (pacing wise)
    K-F|Jango

Water 7 had some of the best pacing in the series thanks to G8 and Extended Ring Long Land
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Yeah I'd say the pacing went bad with Davy Back Fight. W7/EL wasn't god awful pacing but was still noticeably slower. There was a lot of content though and they actually utilized that then, plus had filler to buff it up a bit. You couldn't just skim that arc like you could with Wano, there was a lot actually being said.
    Steam | Battle.net: FelRes#1963
    \(゜∀゜ ) TSUKAME PURAIDO !
     \( `ー)TSUKAME SUCCESS !

It's basically what MasterKingJC said.

The pacing issue is less noticeable when you binge it.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information