+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ace Novel Officially Licensed by Viz for English Physical Release next year

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Default Ace Novel Officially Licensed by Viz for English Physical Release next year

Default Re: Ace Novel Officially Licensed by Viz for English Physical Release next year

This is amazing news! I had serious doubts that they were going to translate these. This makes it that much more likely that they'll eventually release the Law novel as well, it's even implied in their description by referring to this as the "first of two prose stories" for One Piece. This is going to be light-years better than the less-than-stellar fan translations, those are really tough to read.

Default Re: Ace Novel Officially Licensed by Viz for English Physical Release next year

Hey, that's cool! Just curious, are these novels considered canon?
    Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Jimbei, Carrot, Vivi, Smoker

"ONE PIECE, IT EXISTS" - The Great Pirate Edward Newgate

Finally! So happy!

The novels are supervised by Oda, but they are not canon.

Great that this novel is coming westward.
    Now, the question is: will Viz compile the two volumes into one novel or release both separately?

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

woopie, gonna wait for Law´s novel.

Translating a novel would definitely be a big project.

Starving Artist Elektrik Dynomite's Avatar

Hoping it's released as one complete volume, rather than 2 smaller ones like in japan

Oh neat! I saw Stephen posting about going through the Vivre Cards on twitter so I was expecting an announcement for them being translated, making this come a little out of left field.

I think it's pretty likely the two parts of the novel will be compiled for the English release. My understanding is that English prose can fit a lot more words to a page than Japanese, and the market for manga spinoff novels feels like it would be too niche to rely on a part 1/part 2 release being marketable. But we'll see what they do with it.

Hopefully this opens to doors for other One Piece spinoff stuff like Wanted, the databooks and the rest of the One Piece Novel line of course. Maybe even that one old Loguetown Arc novel that's meant to follow the original canon outline for the arc as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Oh neat! I saw Stephen posting about going through the Vivre Cards on twitter so I was expecting an announcement for them being translated, making this come a little out of left field.

I think it's pretty likely the two parts of the novel will be compiled for the English release. My understanding is that English prose can fit a lot more words to a page than Japanese, and the market for manga spinoff novels feels like it would be too niche to rely on a part 1/part 2 release being marketable. But we'll see what they do with it.

Hopefully this opens to doors for other One Piece spinoff stuff like Wanted, the databooks and the rest of the One Piece Novel line of course. Maybe even that one old Loguetown Arc novel that's meant to follow the original canon outline for the arc as well.
    The combined page count for both volumes is 416 pages, and that's in Japanese prose. That's not too crazy if you take into account that popular YA series like Harry Potter had 400+ pages on some books.
    The possibility of two separate novels isn't impossible when we look at the Naruto Itachi novel getting split into two volumes.
    https://www.amazon.com/Naruto-Itachi...BF5HXKND3Q49HS

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    The combined page count for both volumes is 416 pages, and that's in Japanese prose. That's not too crazy if you take into account that popular YA series like Harry Potter had 400+ pages on some books.
    The possibility of two separate novels isn't impossible when we look at the Naruto Itachi novel getting split into two volumes.
    https://www.amazon.com/Naruto-Itachi...BF5HXKND3Q49HS
    416 pages is pretty average for a novel, but it'll look pretty hefty lined up next to the regular volumes. And thinking on it, the market might be better than I gave it credit for; One Piece seems to be doing as well as it ever has in the west and the waters have apparently been tested by more Naruto novels than I would have guessed existed at all so...

Wait and see I guess

Finally viz licenses more stuff with One Piece. One Piece doors, and data book next please.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information