+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

Default Re: Netflix's He-Man and the Masters of the Universe... and Silent Bob?

This latest clip feels right out of the 2002 series.

Skeletor sounds a little like Joker, but it's Mark Hammil so I don't care.

Well, that's He-Man. That's all I can say right now.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Now that the embargo's lifted I listened to one of the spoiler reviews and it sounds like it could be cool... with some serious caveats. Light spoiler that people should probably read:
    Spoiler:
    it makes so many massive changes to the world that by part two it won't really resemble the old He-Man series in any way. The people who go in expecting a standard He-Man show are going to be unhappy.

Larger spoilers:
    Spoiler:
    it sounds like the majority of the male cast die heroically to make room for a nearly exclusively female main cast.

If you were a fan of the toys there's apparently a ton of neat fanservice all over the place tying back to those, and the show seems to show more love for them than for the Filmation cartoons.

I just finished episode 5, and despite an extremely rocky start this series is good and definitely worth watching if you're a He-Man fan.
    I really liked all the attention it gave to the side characters and even the main characters evolved a bit, even if I didn't always like where they went.
    Spoiler:
    Aside from the fact that they temporarily ruined Teela's character in ep 1 by making her a petulant child who abandoned all of her loyalties over finding out that Adam kept his identity as He-Man a secret, Randor was shown to be a terrible king.
    Also, I'm really not sure I like Skeletor being a more serious, less comedic villain. That scene where he called his "Harley" back to his side made it really hard not to make Joker comparisons, but this Skeletor's much less entertaining than Mark Hamill's Joker.
    Every single character death aside from He-Man's left a bad taste in my mouth.
    Did they really have to throw away Roboto and Moss Man? Orko? How did Orko not get a spot in heaven beside the other Masters of The Universe if Moss Man did?
    Last edited by RoboBlue; July 23rd, 2021 at 09:38 AM.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Welcome to the typical sjw subversion.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Eh it's...okay I guess. Let me get the good out of the way: good animation, great first episode which harkens back to the original series and good voice acting (though I do miss Skeletor's old voice, him having a more deep one doesn't feel right. Hamill does do a good job voicing him though).

That said...
    Spoiler:
    Making this a continuation to the original was a major mistake I feel and certainly goes through a tonal whiplash after that first ep. Needless to say this is on one of those "Ey, we subverted your expectations" trains everybody nowadays are obsessed with doing, only they make it much more obvious here. Likewise I really do not like the reason for for Teela leaving at the start, so you didn't know Adam's secret, boo-hoo, I guess all the good he did doesn't mean much because you weren't let in on it. Not saying she doesn't have the right to be angry, but her reaction is just a little extreme and did not make me cotton to her from the start. And Adam's father just...yeesh.

Everything else just feels disconnected from the franchise it's trying to continue. It's an engaging story but feels so clumsy in it's writing and characterization. Like their main concern was how to turn all the fun elements of the original into a cynical deconstruction because "the audience grew up, so should the characters". Except this a series that hasn't had a animated installment in 20 years (the 02 series being the last one), no one has seen or heard from these characters since except the usual comic book here and there. And this is how you wish to present it in a new generation? By going all 90s grunge on it..in 2021? I seriously feel bad for any newcomers of this franchise. In comparison, the new She-Ra (of which I was a fan of the old series) had it's own continuity to build off of, it was darker sure, but still brought a new spin to things while honoring the original's quirks and was loved for it. This, on the other hand, feel like they mock elements of the original to drive their story and I can't condone that, this isn't Robot Chicken where you can go black comedy on it. This is them trying to play it straight and I feel the story suffers for it. Again it is engaging and I get what they were trying to do, I don't really care if Teela takes the stage or not and I'm curious where it goes but I'm likewise not itching to go back and view this again. If they by chance do get a second season, I seriously hope they address all these concerns. Cause as it stands, this is looking to be the black sheep of the franchise, overthrowing the he LA movie, which mind you had the heroes going to Earth.
    Last edited by Retro; July 24th, 2021 at 10:16 AM.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Holy shit the fanbois are maaaaaaaaaaaad. Doing the obvious review bombing of metacritic, sending death threats, etc. It's Ghostbusters 2016/Last Jedi bullshit awful manchildren all over again.

Like, you people obviously didn't even watch the show before bitching about it. It's only 5 episodes for cripes sake.

I made ONE comment about it on twitter. ONE. And came back to 37 angry replies. From people that clearly hadn't actually watched it.

Anyway, I *did* watch it. Its... fine I guess. I'm not exactly excited about season 2.

it's REALLY hinging on you having emotional attachment built up from watching the old show 30 years rather than building anything on its own.

But this is probably about the best would could expect from Kevin Smith. He hasn't really done anything good in 24 years. 20 years if you're being generous.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    Spoiler:
    How did Orko not get a spot in heaven beside the other Masters of The Universe if Moss Man did?
    Spoiler:
    Because he died in Hell. Or isn't actually dead. Or will be brought back.

But yes, the parade of deaths came too fast and constant for a 5 episode mini. What do they think this is, the transformers movie?
    Last edited by Robby; July 25th, 2021 at 12:00 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I've been watching He-Man from the beginning and really liked this new installment personally but I can't say I've ever really found a version of the series I outright disliked. Not even New Adventures as weird and out of tone with everything else in the franchise as that was or the film, which I watch solely for Frank Langella as Skeletor.
    Complicating things since 2009.

All I can say is it's fine. The 00 remake tops it in every way for me. It had more episodes to work with, sure, but still. It's beautifully drawn, but animation left a lot to be desired. Fighting choreography was lacking for something made in 2021.

Also, it's weird to say as someone who loves puns, but there should be some balance. For the next season, it would be great if some of that pun creating time was spent on world building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Yeah, I really liked the 00's series. I keep seeing people on my friend's list going "OMG I can't believe they finally brought back He-Man, I've been waiting for this since I was little!" and I'm like, um, you know there was a decent show not THAT long ago, that was fairly faithful to the original?

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    All I can say is it's fine. The 00 remake tops it in every way for me. It had more episodes to work with, sure, but still. It's beautifully drawn, but animation left a lot to be desired. Fighting choreography was lacking for something made in 2021.

Also, it's weird to say as someone who loves puns, but there should be some balance. For the next season, it would be great if some of that pun creating time was spent on world building.
    Most of the puns felt really cynical, like they were an attempt to mock the original show rather than honor it.

A lot of them were thrown in weird places and undermined the tone of the scene, like Tri-Klops' "live and diode" pun.

The original show definitely had a lot of cheesy one-liners but I don't remember them ever being used outside of battle (unless it was one of those scenes at the end of an episode where someone made a joke and everyone laughed).

I just found out this show was dropped from the top 10 on Netflix. Well too bad considering it's Kevin Smith who made this show.
    I was already aware of the backlash the show was getting, however I decided to watch the first episode but it was good until He-Man and Skeletor got seemly killed off and at the end Teela got all bitchy for no reason which was uncomfortable to sit through. However I tried to watch episode two but found it not interesting for me and only watched half of it. Then I chose to jump to the fifth episode and even Skeletor and He-Man came back with Skeletor finally getting what he wants with Adam getting stabbed, I did not have any strong feelings about that and we have to wait for part 2 to show up. Really? How lame is that?
    The only reason I ever bother watching is because I was familiar with the original show back in the 80's.

However with shows basing on the 80's show gets rebooted, they usually don't come out right due to SJW and woke cultures being pushed in, it's hard to be invested in it.

Kevin, who created many bad movies, especially the one with a human walrus flat out stated that the show was going to focus on Skeletor and He-Man only to lie on our face by shoving them out and focus on the unlikable Teela for feminism reasons and ends up telling us to suck it up instead of saying sorry.

Kevin was a bad choice for this franchise. I don't even think I'm to care about part 2 and other sets of lie Kevin announced. I highly doubt part 2 is going to focus on Adam getting his magic back. It also be nice if this show was handled by people who did the 2000's reboot.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

From what I read the show technically does still focus on He-Man & Skeletor as the show revolves around the characters having to go on a quest to fix things relating to a major battle involving He-Man & Skeletor that fucked things up for the world along with He-Man's friends having to cope with his apparent death and Skeletor plotting from the shadows to achieve his goals (which you don't know at first).

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    Kevin, who created many bad movies, especially the one with a human walrus flat out stated that the show was going to focus on Skeletor and He-Man only to lie on our face by shoving them out and focus on the unlikable Teela for feminism reasons and ends up telling us to suck it up instead of saying sorry.
    Sorry to who though? the people who've been bitching about the show being woke and trampling on their childhoods?

Whose criticisms have from what I've heard have not been constructive or reasonable. To say nothing of the Reviewbombing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I watch the first two episodes so far. I'm really enjoying the show so far. From what I watch so far, I really like the fight chorography for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by Sano View Post
    I watch the first two episodes so far. I'm really enjoying the show so far. From what I watch so far, I really like the fight chorography for the show.
    I respect that. I think the fight scene is handled well and the art style is nice. To me the show is just not very strong to me but if part 2 does come out I may check on it or not.
    Currently writing a book

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    flat out stated that the show was going to focus on Skeletor and He-Man only to lie on our face
    The show is 100% about He-Man and Skeletor. They're the entire focus of the first episode. They're in constant flashbacks, the entire plot is driven by their absence. and whenever they're not on camera characters are going "oh, if only He-Man were here. I miss He-Man." (Or Skeletor in Lynn's case.) And the final episode is very VERY much about Adam and the choices he made and decisions and the weight and responsibility of the role and how he sees himself.

It's absolutely 100% about them. The same way the Death of Superman or breaking Batman was.

Showing their absence shows just how much affect they had on the world, and makes their returns more potent.

It's just not about them having punching matches for 100 minutes, which is apparently what everyone wanted that doesn't actually remember how the old show actually worked.

Then I chose to jump to the fifth episode and even Skeletor and He-Man came back with Skeletor finally getting what he wants with Adam getting stabbed, I did not have any strong feelings about tha
    Well you skipped 70% of the story building back up to that point. Most stories suck if you leave out all the character stuff and jump right to the climax.

they usually don't come out right due to SJW and woke cultures being pushed in, it's hard to be invested in it.
    That sounds like a you problem.

And if you'd actually *watched* it, you'd know that Man at Arms, Orco, Beastman, Roboto, Cringer, Triclops, Merman all had large roles, and so did Adam. it wasn't just "eww, icky girls" the whole time.
    Last edited by Robby; August 2nd, 2021 at 09:01 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The show is 100% about He-Man and Skeletor. They're the entire focus of the first episode. They're in constant flashbacks, the entire plot is driven by their absence. and whenever they're not on camera characters are going "oh, if only He-Man were here. I miss He-Man." (Or Skeletor in Lynn's case.) And the final episode is very VERY much about Adam and the choices he made and decisions and the weight and responsibility of the role and how he sees himself.

It's absolutely 100% about them. The same way the Death of Superman or breaking Batman was.

Showing their absence shows just how much affect they had on the world, and makes their returns more potent.

It's just not about them having punching matches for 100 minutes.

Well you skipped 70% of the story building back up to that point. Most stories suck if you leave out all the character stuff and jump right to the climax.

And if you'd actually *watched* it, you'd know that Man at Arms, Orco, Beastman, Roboto, Cringer, Triclops, Merman all had large roles, and so did Adam. it wasn't just "eww, icky girls" the whole time.
    OK I guess. Can't argue with this one. I may give this show another chance, I just don't feel much about it. If part 2 comes out I'll be keeping my expectations low since I don't trust Kevin Smith.
    So here I'll just respect your opinion.
    Currently writing a book

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Whose criticisms have from what I've heard have not been constructive or reasonable. To say nothing of the Reviewbombing.
    I've never really understood the complaint about review bombing.
    If a large number of people dislike something and want their opinions heard on that... isn't that what sites like RottenTomatoes are for?

If it's really just one guy sending in a million votes why haven't they fixed that yet?

It just feels like a way for big companies to pass the buck when their product isn't received as well as they'd like.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

It's just not about them having punching matches for 100 minutes, which is apparently what everyone wanted that doesn't actually remember how the old show actually worked.

So you had no complaints with this whatsoever I take it?
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information