+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 939: The Old Leopard Never Forgets the Way

Default Re: Chapter 939: The Old Leopard Never Forgets the Way

Quote Originally Posted by Blissed View Post
    He is shown swimming in this chapter.
    Wow sometimes I miss the obvious ! Thank you!
    Knowing Is a he could be a Kappa with a random devil fruit and Kappa are able to not lose thwir swimming ability from eating a DF becauae they are the ones who harvest them or something crazy I never rule anything out in this manga!

Quote Originally Posted by allbluebro View Post
    Wow sometimes I miss the obvious ! Thank you!
    Knowing Is a he could be a Kappa with a random devil fruit and Kappa are able to not lose thwir swimming ability from eating a DF becauae they are the ones who harvest them or something crazy I never rule anything out in this manga!
    While I'm all for out there theories and possibilities, after we've seen a Fishman eat a Devil Fruit and still loose his ability to move while exposed to sea water, I"d say it's safe to say all Devil Fruit users are done with swimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

I found Zoro's dialogue to be very good, particularly the "boat and men" analogy. Casts a lot of doubt on whether the Fire Festival plan will succeed. (it won't)
    I believe that the plan *as known* needs to fail in a public way.

The 9 need to be detained, defeated or apprehended.

That's when the true 9 (10) will appear and break all Hell loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaworu View Post
    I found Zoro's dialogue to be very good, particularly the "boat and men" analogy.
    Actually that "boat and men" analogy is based on a Japanese proverb that goes, "Too many captains cause a ship to climb up a mountain." ("船頭多くして船山に登る"), similar to English proverb, "Too many cooks spoil the broth."

As already mentioned, the chapter title is based on a Chinese/Japanese proverb, "An old horse knows the way".
    It also reminds me of another Japanese proverb in Tsurezuregusa (14th century essay), "Whatever the genre is, predecessors are always appreciated" (何事につけても先達はあらまほしきことなり).
    Anyway, Oda's knowledge is amazing!

I don't see why the plan has to fail, unless oda jumps to the fire festival fast(like when he did with the wedding). But so far the days are going slow, 9 more left, barely second act out of 5, maybe because oda wants to show the rÍverie final before it ends and gives luffy time to train. Like kaidou pirates could expect the fire festival attack and be prepared but they will still lose in the end, unless fire festival will be like act 3 or 4.

Plan needs to fail.

Just basic storytelling.

I mean, not like it isn't going to ultimately succeed. But it needs to reach a point of utter defeat and despair.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Plan needs to fail.

Just basic storytelling.

I mean, not like it isn't going to ultimately succeed. But it needs to reach a point of utter defeat and despair.
    Sounds kinda dull when you phrase it like that.

Like going through the motions.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post

All I know is if there were 2 options, A) plan succeeds or B) plan fails, I'll pretty much always find B a lot more interesting. The plan failing on a scale this massive can bring back that *true* drama we got to in One Piece, like Impel Down level, and I'd love to see that again and think we will.

I also believe the only reason we're seeing so many goofy beast pirates is that Oda can really drill in their brutality later. That's the first impression of them I got when Jack showed up on Zou, brutality, and I don't think that'll be ignored. And that'll add to the drama.

I wonder if Luffy with teach that Haki projection to Zoro and Sanji later on or they pick it up themselves in Wano. May be Zoro already knows it or at least in the process of grasping it/trying to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Plan needs to fail.

Just basic storytelling.

Didn't luffy had that when he got defeated and send to prison? And samurais have it now when their men are getting captured one by one and plan is exposed?

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    Didn't luffy had that when he got defeated and send to prison? And samurais have it now when their men are getting captured one by one and plan is exposed?
    The samurai side of the story ? Possibly. It looks bad at the moment, but things can get far worse. Kinemon can get captured, or Momonosuke. They can still try to attack during the fire festival and get their asses handed over to them.
    Luffy ? I would agree on the defeat, but prison so far has been a walk in the park. Let's show off strength, let's bond with fellow prisoners, let's train... We might get to despair when Queen steps in the arena, but even this much seems unlikely with new haki powers to test and Big Mom on her way to perform a prison break
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post
    Guys what if the world is actually two straw hat planets fused together, with the Red Line being the hats' rims?

I would love it if there wasn't another time-bomb/lightning-bomb/ark-bomb/birdcage/mama-rampage in this arc.

Would much prefer a constant back and forth between warring sides, instead a great desperation moment, followed by a ray of light.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    If he's a kappa maybe that's a precursor to other kinds of Yokai coming out of the woodwork? That might be fun, a hundred different Yokai helping battle against the "Hundred Beast" armies of Kaido.
    I'd be totally down for a Yonkai faction in Luffy's group and for everyone to confuse Usopp with a tengu lol

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I'd be totally down for a Yonkai faction in Luffy's group and for everyone to confuse Usopp with a tengu lol
    Kinemon already did it once, I can see it becoming a trend lol

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post

Yeah, def one way to look at it. But that's how I read One Piece now. It's like looking at the Matrix code and understanding what it means. The most shocking thing that could possibly happen, is if the plan went off without a hitch in one deft swoop.

In this part of the story yes.

But that's not how any of this works.

Think of any arc. Things get **devastatingly worse** before they get better.

Enies Lobby, Buster Call.

Skypiea, Ener drops Luffy back to square one.

Punk Hazard, poison gas cloud.

Whole Cake, Mom rages.

Same thing for this plan. A plan can *never* go off without a hitch in a story. Even in heist films there have to be hiccups or the illusion of hiccups and we already did a heist story with GOLD.

I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing. Besides, thanks to the pamphlet, everyone will recognize Luffy when he goes Gear 5 or something.
    Last edited by Greg; April 16th, 2019 at 03:09 PM.

Maybe I'm just being a fanboy, but aside from Dressrosa's Birdcage and Fishman Island's Noah, all of One Piece's "last act hitches" have been great to me. In fact, I'd consider it a defining aspect of why I like the series so much.

Anyway, a bit late but I really liked this chapter. For the last few chapters I thought the prison subplot was easily the weakest part of Wano, but it turned out that just giving it a good amount of focus was all it needed. A one-sided beatdown isn't fun if you can't indulge in it.

I also realized how much I like Hyou's character design, to me he has this Blackbeard-esque quality where your first impression is that he looks like a generic throwaway background character, but it slowly grows on you until you realized it's actually pretty distinct and cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBits
    Place your bets. Is [AlphaMale/AlphaBro, an obvious ban evader] going to get banned again today, tomorrow, or in a week?
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBro
    okay let's bet . Would love to see your losing face next week !
    An actual bet and conversation on the Chapter 905 thread, literally an hour before he got banned again.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    I don't see why the plan has to fail, unless oda jumps to the fire festival fast(like when he did with the wedding). But so far the days are going slow, 9 more left, barely second act out of 5, maybe because oda wants to show the rÍverie final before it ends and gives luffy time to train. Like kaidou pirates could expect the fire festival attack and be prepared but they will still lose in the end, unless fire festival will be like act 3 or 4.
    In storytelling, whenever characters have a plan, it can only go one of two ways. it succeeds, or it fails. Now, in order to avoid boring the audience and telling the same event twice, there's really only two ways to show this. (This is especially the case with heist capers where a group needs to commit a crime of some sort.)

1-don't tell the audience what the plan is, so they can see the events unfurl while the plan is in motion. the audience is then surprised and worried and goes along with it. This works if you have a really interesting surprise visual or unique secret twist you don't want to give away.

2-tell the audience exactly how its SUPPOSED to go, and then have things go wrong along the way. the drama then comes from the unexpected twists and changes.

You can also have it somewhere in between, like with the attack Big Mom plan, we knew Bege's plan, and that failed, but we didnt know how exactly Luffy was going to do his specific distraction. Combo.

Either way, you're not giving the audience the same thing twice, and you get the same result either way. The only real question is where you want the drama and suspense to be.

Detective story murder mysteries work in reverse incidentally... it starts out with the crime committed, and then the detective slowly pieces together the clues to tell you how it was done.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I’ve been waiting for the festival plan to end in utter disaster, because Strawhats has been breezing through Wano it’s getting annoying, while all the “bad” things only happen to their allies. hiccups on allies side is nothing, Strawhats NEEDS to suffer a loss that they would actually feel, that dail up tension and stop underestimating their enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by fakescorpion View Post
    I’ve been waiting for the festival plan to end in utter disaster, because Strawhats has been breezing through Wano it’s getting annoying, while all the “bad” things only happen to their allies. hiccups on allies side is nothing, Strawhats NEEDS to suffer a loss that they would actually feel, that dail up tension and stop underestimating their enemies.
    Luffy is in jail. Zoro got brutally wounded. Law got his subordinates kidnapped and every potential ally they could have is being arrested because their plan got leaked.

I think they are on very thin ice already.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Law got his subordinates kidnapped
    How is that on Law

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information