+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

  1. #1

    Default 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Kaido was a man
    I mean he was a dragon-man!
    Or maybe he was just a dragon...

    Title: ''Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!''
    Chapters Covered: 922
    Episode Director: Yusuke Suzuki (***)
    Animation Director: Eisaku Inoue (***1/2)
    Time: 7:30PM EST
    Watch It: www.crunchyroll.com/one-piece
    Last edited by Crossword; December 9th, 2019 at 11:58 AM.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

  2. #2
    21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Arizona

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    Kaido was a man
    I mean he was a dragon-man!
    Or maybe he was just a dragon...
    .....but he was still KKKKKAAAAAIIIIIIIDDDDDOOOOO!

  3. #3

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    One Piece Episode 914 Preview




    Kaido's Furious Bolo Breath - Episode 913

    Last edited by thaihoa91; December 7th, 2019 at 06:20 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    God Luffy running up to Kaido took up most of the preview. I know its 30 seconds but I'm afraid most of next episode will consist of that.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Since the 3rd or 4th episode in Wano I started watching just the previews and I find funny how even those became dragged recently.

  6. #6
    Just badass Sano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Keokuk, Iowa

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Great episode. The entire episode felt really intense and Kaido's attack at the end just left me in shock to making me wonder how will the alliance is going to defeat him.

  7. #7

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    The animation when Kaido was flying was so awful I can't even; it's like they used their whole budget for the fire blast scene which was admittedly very well done, but still come on. Next episode looks like it'll feature about 10 minutes of running. Great.

  8. #8

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    That was a damn good blast breath.

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    God Luffy running up to Kaido took up most of the preview. I know its 30 seconds but I'm afraid most of next episode will consist of that.
    It probably will. Honestly, I won't mind too much if it at all helps 915 be less padded.

  9. #9

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Same on the literal static image that they set on a directional path or zoom for most of the episode. The dragon was totally void of any animation for the first half of the episode. The animation at the end was astounding, but it’s a shame they didn’t put much effort into the first half. I would’ve been more forgiving of the static image if it was drawn with more detail, but it didn’t look great to me except for the one zoom shot. Not to mention some of the extremely off-model art this episode. Did you guys see DoFlamingo? Jeebus. A few of these artists need to be seriously straightened out or let go. It’s like they drew Doffy based off a ten year old memory.

    Though of course I’m really hyped by that ending, so far this is a let-down. I’d rather a full episode of decent dragon movement than one big budget sequence at the end.

    Also, this is what sucks about animating action chapters. I would’ve sworn this episode covered six pages or less. Just checked and it actually covered about twelve, which is more than the norm. I’ve seen episodes that covered seven pages with better pacing. Toei really needs to be okay with sinking a chapter or chapter and a half on the action episodes, then slowing down the rest as usual.
    Last edited by Zephray; December 8th, 2019 at 01:19 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    The episode was definitely slower than usual, but there were some good stuff in it too.

    I gotta say that the storyboarding and direction was pretty damn good. Yusuke Suzuki has always been one of the weaker directors of the show who hasn't impressed me this far because of his usually flat storyboarding and unsatisfactory direction. This week was a definite improvement for him on every front. Although because of Nagamine's tendency of correcting storyboards, it's not easy to tell to what extent his storyboarding skills really improved.

    But on the whole this is his best showing so far, cool lighting, great angles, creative shots etc. I do think there are still some areas where Suzuki falls back on flat shots, but it'd be wrong for me to not acknowledge that this episode wasn't a noticeable step forward for him compared to everything he put to the table before.

    On the animation side, there were a lot of stationary shots I agree, but the boro breath was done masterfully and at the end of the day this is what mattered to me the most. We also got the best look at Inoue's art in this episode and there's definitely some shots that are reminiscent of his prime day. That's really nice to see.

    Next week's gonna be absolutely fantastic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Oshawott View Post
    The animation when Kaido was flying was so awful I can't even; it's like they used their whole budget for the fire blast scene which was admittedly very well done, but still come on. Next episode looks like it'll feature about 10 minutes of running. Great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zephray View Post
    Though of course I’m really hyped by that ending, so far this is a let-down. I’d rather a full episode of decent dragon movement than one big budget sequence at the end.
    "bUdGeT"


    It's almost 2020 and with all the effort we've made to debunk these myths about this, I can't believe we still have to say this. No amount of budget will make any drawing look better, it's 2D hand drawn animation, not a video game or a live action movie. Money doesn't alter drawing skills.

    What really affects animation quality is the health of the schedule and the talent of the animator working on the particular scene. The reason why the boro breath looked better than anything in this episode is because it was given to Tetsuro Nireki, who's a talented action animator, not because the budget was raised on that section.

    Enough with this budget nonsense.

    It's really easy to sit here to nitpick every small mistake and criticize the staff for making Kaido in his dragon comprised of stills. But keep in mind that it's an incredibly animation unfriendly design and a pain in the ass to draw. And actual animators working on the show said it themselves, therefore you can deny that animation unfriendly designs exist all you want.

    Even Tu Yong-ce, who's an incredibly fast animator, really hates drawing Kaido in his dragon form. Moreover under a long running show's schedule, it's even more grueling to draw something like that. That's why I won't knock this episode off for cutting corners with the dragon form.

    If some of you (or myself) had to draw Kaido in his dragon form under the same time constraints and working conditions these animators have to deal with, I'd guarantee you'd likely collapse within the first 3 hours.

    Btw calling for animators to be fired is flat out disrespectful.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    I don't like to have to rant on this forum again, but some of the comments here show that there's still a lot of ignorance about the japanese animation industry and that people are still incapable of discussing animation like reasonable people.

    And look, I'm not saying that some of the complaints are unjustified. They're legitimate and you have all the rights to expect a proper product. It's just that the criticism is mostly coming from the wrong place. Instead of putting the blame the string of companies and shareholders who're behind most of the harmful decisions made about the One Piece anime, people decide to target the mostly overworked produciton staff who have to oblige to what the stakeholders have decided and don't have a saying where the show's going.
    Last edited by MythicalDragon; December 8th, 2019 at 05:27 AM.
    Monkey D. D. Ragon! So beastly he got two D's in his name!

  11. #11

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Well don’t have a dragon about it.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Someone decided where to spend the animators-artists’ time. They chose to sink more of that time into the ending sequence. Time is money. Money is budget. If they’re spending three of their seven days working on the end sequence instead of polishing the whole episode, it’s reasonable to say they spend most of their budget on the end sequence.

    So, yeah, I disagree with your definition of budget because it absolutely does include and account for time. And I do in fact know and recognize that the animators are on a tight deadline and they can only do what they can do. But I made the point that the episode director should’ve put more polish into the overall episode with the time they spent on the final sequence. And when it comes to the skill of the workers, we by and large get on-model characters, so when a particular artist is drawing characters so significantly off-model as Doffy was this episode, there’s absolutely a problem with that artist and s/he needs to be sorted back on track. Or if they’re incapable of drawing on-model, firing isn’t unreasonable. Plenty of other artists are able to do it fine. When someone is bad at their job, they can reasonably get fired from it. Sorry if that idea offends you somehow, but it’s totally a valid way to run a business: if the workers who are making the product make tons of errors, yikes. That said, hopefully that artist can be sorted out instead, maybe someone can teach him to draw on-model better or something.
    Last edited by Zephray; December 8th, 2019 at 08:39 AM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    One Piece sakuga nut and resident Katsumi Ishizuka fanboy

    Twitter: https://twitter.com/SkippyTheRobot
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0Z...2JQKXRBkCGSHzw

  13. #13

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Worst episode of the arc yet. It might be difficult to draw Kaido, but hey-- at least move his mouth when he talks.
    K-F|Jango

  14. #14

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Just watched it, excellent analysis. I hope next episode provides us with enough sakuga so that you can do a long ass breakdown because your vids are very entertaining

  15. #15

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy1031 View Post
    Worst episode of the arc yet. It might be difficult to draw Kaido, but hey-- at least move his mouth when he talks.
    Think that’s just a general dragon thing.

    They don’t do that for Shenron either...

  16. #16

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    I really have a problem with Kaido's dragon form in the anime. Why his front legs/hands are so close to his head. it makes his neck look very short. That is not how the eastern dragon supposedly looks like.
    Same issue I have with a lot of his dragon form fanarts floating around in the internet. At first, I thought maybe it just because of them were drew by westerner or something. But now, seeing Toei draw him the same way, its really weird. I mean, this is the same company that draw and animated DBZ Shenron.

  17. #17

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy1031 View Post
    Worst episode of the arc yet. It might be difficult to draw Kaido, but hey-- at least move his mouth when he talks.
    Did you skip the entire Urashima episode? That's the only way you would think this is the worst episode of the arc.

  18. #18
    Your long-lost brother Jabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    (ಥ ͜ʖ ಥ)

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Hisoga View Post
    I really have a problem with Kaido's dragon form in the anime. Why his front legs/hands are so close to his head. it makes his neck look very short. That is not how the eastern dragon supposedly looks like.
    Same issue I have with a lot of his dragon form fanarts floating around in the internet. At first, I thought maybe it just because of them were drew by westerner or something. But now, seeing Toei draw him the same way, its really weird. I mean, this is the same company that draw and animated DBZ Shenron.
    Now that you mention it, that's the reason why I thought he looked weird in this episode. The distance between arm and head even varies from shot to shot.

    I guess I jinxed it last week. This ep was standard One Piece Anime-trash as I know it. Back to highlight chapters I go.

    (Also really bitter that they didn't deliver on his drunk-dragon face. I thought that would be easy to capture, especially with voice acting support. Super disappointed.)
    Last edited by Jabra; December 8th, 2019 at 10:03 PM.


  19. #19

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy1031 View Post
    Worst episode of the arc yet. It might be difficult to draw Kaido, but hey-- at least move his mouth when he talks.
    This is your worst episode, really?

  20. #20

    Default Re: 913: "Everyone's Obliterated - Kaido's Furious Blast Breath!"

    Spoiler:
    Just waiting for soba transformation that should be good and episode so I can drop this already

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts