+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 165

Thread: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

  1. #61

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread


  2. #62
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Uhhhh . . . . . because Step-Up has a pretty successful franchise?

  3. #63
    Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Not gonna lie, I am a sucker for dance movies like the step up franchise. Stories, characters are all cheesy trash, but the dancing is so much fun. If it can be as those movies I am gonna have fun watching it at home. ;)



    覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧




    In my veins!

    Looks fantastic. And didn奏 they confirm he goes to japan? Whch means all we pretty much saw were new york shots, so there is a ton still left to see.

    Is the doctor operating on him the keymaker from the matrix? Would be a fun addition, since we already have Keanu and Lawrence. Also, it would have been awesome if instead of Halle Berry they had cast Carrie Anne Moss for the ultimate fanservice. xD

    P.S. I saw it in a yt comment so not sure if true, but apparently Iko Uwais and and the guy who played mad dog from the raid series are also in the movie.
    Last edited by MajinArekkusu; January 17th, 2019 at 03:47 PM.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

  4. #64
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Dance movies are fun (hello, Singing in the Rain), but they're not movies you go to the theater for. They're Netflix movies.

  5. #65

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Uhhhh . . . . . because Step-Up has a pretty successful franchise?
    Yes hard as is to believe these movies did make profit......somehow.

    Which means if the Mario movies are successful expect them to ape on the success of the F&F movies with Mario Kart spinoffs
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; January 17th, 2019 at 07:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284




  6. #66
    Must've been rats Sakonosolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Homey Airport

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    John Wick 3 coming out seems sooner than I was expecting but maybe it just seems that way because I just stopped thinking about it for so long. Looks cool though. you can see the Japanese stuff in the trailer with the people riding bikes and brandishing katanas. Wonder if this'll be the last one or if it'll be open for another sequel. Seems like it'd be hard to top the entire assassination guild coming after you.

  7. #67
    Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    I think it could be the last and then there is the starz series coming, which might be some prequel story who knows.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

  8. #68

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Am I the only one excited for the Revamp of Buffy the Vampire Slayer? (no pun intended lol) Or Joss Whedon's other new Project the Nevers?

  9. #69

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    What even is this?


  10. #70
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    I didn't see a thread for Shyamalan movies in general or the Unbreakable trilogy but I thought I'd express my admiration for his latest, Glass. I know it got bad reviews from critics but I enjoyed it quite a bit and was very satisfied with the conclusion.

  11. #71

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    I'd propose to change this thread name to either "Other upcoming movies" "movies that have you excited" "or "non gigantic franchise movies"
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

  12. #72
    The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Planet Zordoom

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    I didn't see a thread for Shyamalan movies in general or the Unbreakable trilogy but I thought I'd express my admiration for his latest, Glass. I know it got bad reviews from critics but I enjoyed it quite a bit and was very satisfied with the conclusion.
    I have the exact opposite opinion. While I liked some of the stuff in the movie (mainly in the second act between Mr. Glass and the Beast), the ending felt forced and hokey. Like Shyamalan was just throwing mainstream superhero tropes mainstream audiences would recognize on the wall without actually making it meaningful. Like it's trying to be meta in an on the nose way that will totally be dated in a few years and isn't saying anything other than "hey, this is a thing in movies now! You recognize this thing, right? Isn't it so cool we're talking about how this exists?"

    I feel like Unbreakable and Split were memorable grounded psychological analyses that only used the superhero elements as an accessory to present how we as humans struggle with wanting to believe we can transcend our mundane lives to feel like we're special, desperately trying to find meaning to maintain a sense of purpose than accepting that maybe you're unlucky and that's that. The superhero trope references are mainly narrative devices for the characters to believe in fate/transcendence over coincidences/delusions. But Glass goes balls to the wall with throwing comic book trope references left and right trying to sound deep despite only chucking cheap fanservice that sounds like the previous two films but is missing the heart and intent they were going for.

    I don't know if all of that makes sense, but basically Unbreakable and Split's themes are about humanity's innate desire to feel special like a superhero/supervillain to rationalize our life struggles. Like if all our pain isn't just awful luck, it might mean it's your tragic origin story making you destined for greatness. And both the amazing and unfortunate consequences if you aren't insane and actually special through fate or surpassing human capabilities by repressing your humanity.

    Glass tries to pose as a superhero trope deconstruction but only namedrops superhero tropes and twists for the sake of crowdpleasing geeks. I was severely disappointed with it. I don't mind going into more detail in spoilers, but it felt so hollow to me. Like Shyamalan was trying to reuse the formula but forgot why he made it in the first place and cashing in on superhero movie culture hype.
    Last edited by Count Mario; January 24th, 2019 at 03:30 PM.

    Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

  13. #73
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I have the exact opposite opinion. While I liked some of the stuff in the movie (mainly in the second act between Mr. Glass and the Beast), the ending felt forced and hokey. Like Shyamalan was just throwing mainstream superhero tropes mainstream audiences would recognize on the wall without actually making it meaningful. Like it's trying to be meta in an on the nose way that will totally be dated in a few years and isn't saying anything other than "hey, this is a thing in movies now! You recognize this thing, right? Isn't it so cool we're talking about how this exists?"

    I feel like Unbreakable and Split were memorable grounded psychological analyses that only used the superhero elements as an accessory to present how we as humans struggle with wanting to believe we can transcend our mundane lives to feel like we're special, desperately trying to find meaning to maintain a sense of purpose than accepting that maybe you're unlucky and that's that. The superhero trope references are mainly narrative devices for the characters to believe in fate/transcendence over coincidences/delusions. But Glass goes balls to the wall with throwing comic book trope references left and right trying to sound deep despite only chucking cheap fanservice that sounds like the previous two films but is missing the heart and intent they were going for.

    I don't know if all of that makes sense, but basically Unbreakable and Split's themes are about humanity's innate desire to feel special like a superhero/supervillain to rationalize our life struggles. Like if all our pain isn't just awful luck, it might mean it's your tragic origin story making you destined for greatness. And both the amazing and unfortunate consequences if you aren't insane and actually special through fate or surpassing human capabilities by repressing your humanity.

    Glass tries to pose as a superhero trope deconstruction but only namedrops superhero tropes and twists for the sake of crowdpleasing geeks. I was severely disappointed with it. I don't mind going into more detail in spoilers, but it felt so hollow to me. Like Shyamalan was trying to reuse the formula but forgot why he made it in the first place and cashing in on superhero movie culture hype.
    I found it enjoyable and entertaining, but I can see your perspective being valid.

  14. #74

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Went to see the movie Greta in the theater (only because I got a AMC's a list so I might as well go see a movie since I'm paying monthly for that)

    and the trailer for Jordan Peele's movie us played

    I'm officially terrified of the song "I've got five on it"

    seriously I can't get it out of my head

  15. #75

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread



  16. #76

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Two things...... Us has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes!!

    And I have a question how would you rank The Lord of the Rings movies (the original trilogy not the hobbit movies)

  17. #77
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    1. Two Towers
    2. Return of the King
    3. Fellowship

    Of course that's not the actual order, the real order is Fellowship, Two Towers, and Return of the King.

  18. #78

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Lol you were right with the first list, I was asking for which ones you thought were the best, not there chronological order

  19. #79
    Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    Two things...... Us has a 100% on Rotten Tomatoes!!
    A ton of movies get perfect 100 ratings when they are only available at festivals and have a limited amount of reviews, so it will go down. But I am confident it will be a good movie.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

  20. #80

    Default Re: Movies that don't deserve their own thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    A ton of movies get perfect 100 ratings when they are only available at festivals and have a limited amount of reviews, so it will go down. But I am confident it will be a good movie.
    I know it won't stay that way but a 100% with 39 reviews is still worth mentioning

    I bet in the end it will probs be high 90's

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts