+ Reply to Thread
Page 359 of 366 FirstFirst ... 259 309 349 357 358 359 360 361 ... LastLast
Results 7,161 to 7,180 of 7305

Thread: My Hero Academia II - A true Hero

Default Re: My Hero Academia II - It Burns

I really like the detail of Iida being the last one in the chain because he's the speedy guy.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

I mostly liked Bakugo accepting he cant be be the main guy in this.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

Yeah I'm pretty sure Mineta meant he just admired him. But this is the age where social media will flip any words to something else. So meh.

Touching chapter though, I dug it.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    Not as easy as you'd think, apparently.

AniTwitter is kinda receiving the other meaning and freaking out in disgust.
    A lot of bisexuals being like "NO NO NO WE DON'T CLAIM HIM, AWFUL REP OH MY GOD HELP US WHY" in 100% seriousness.

I want someone to rub a hand on their back and tell them "shh... it's a misreading. shhh. It's okay"
    Wow what a weird and odd thing to complain about.

I just never thought that a minority group would complain about representation in a fictional work.

and I am also in the very firm belief that representation should represent all aspect of life, yes, even perverts like Mineta can still be part of a minority group.

After all not all of them are good and not all of them are bad.

But this is an absolute can of worms that I would rather leave closed, so I will stop my musings for now.

I absolutely adored Iida telling Deku that "sticking your nose in other people's business is what a hero does".

I just wish I could relate to Deku's thought process.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Theres some major Steven Universe Future vibes going on with this scenario (with how being the "Chosen One" can really mess you up, and how refusing to open up and ask for help can cause you to implode), and much like there, I really dig this. And it only hits with this force because Deku has been pushed to a breaking point. I only wish I had a clearer idea of what was going on action-wise.

Definitely. I see what Hori is going for and I also dig the concept.

It's just a matter of where we go from here, now that he's been (apparently) caught.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Well now is when Deku accidentally unleashes random power #82 and murders all his teammates in a city levelling atomic blast.

He will, of course, blame himself.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by kevo_koma View Post
    Wow what a weird and odd thing to complain about.

I just never thought that a minority group would complain about representation in a fictional work.

and I am also in the very firm belief that representation should represent all aspect of life, yes, even perverts like Mineta can still be part of a minority group.

After all not all of them are good and not all of them are bad.

But this is an absolute can of worms that I would rather leave closed, so I will stop my musings for now.

I absolutely adored Iida telling Deku that "sticking your nose in other people's business is what a hero does".

I just wish I could relate to Deku's thought process.
    Representation matters because it can and does negatively affect people. I suggest watching the Netflix documentary Disclosure for a look at how negative portrayals of transgender and gender non-confirming people affect transgender people (good free alternatives include Renegade Cut). For a look at bisexual representation and how it's represented in media I would suggest watching the videos of the YouTuber VerilyBitchie (Verity; They/she).

From my own mouth, if I may answer from my perspective as a bisexual woman, my issue with Horikoshi's handling of queer people is that this is a work aimed at children first-and-foremost and he is also not a member of these communities, as far as I can tell. It is a queer person's right and in their best interest to critically examine the manner in which cishet people portray us in their media and academic writings. Mineta is a sexually harassing little creep who is just left uncritically examined by the work. Horikoshi doesn't portray Mineta's action as anything but cheeky antics. If this were, say, an erotic comic for the Otaku crowd--something I'm very much a part of as a consumer of said content--I wouldn't mind. However, I'm adult and I have to approach these things from a point of view other than just my own selfish, goofy love of eroticism in art. As such, yeah, it bothers me that the two openly bisexual characters are...this shithead whose antics just keep going without being addressed as wrong with an actual change and Toga, a poorly handled depiction of mental illness and a serial killer. Toga is framed as a villain and part of a group of sore losers who need to pull themselves up by their boot straps with too little attention paid to the fact that the issues actually lay with how society creates social outcasts by not tending to the needs of the ill and other marginalizes peoples.

Who is reading HeroAca and other JUMP Comics? Other than some weird adult bisexual girl on the internet, I mean? That bisexual child whose going to be dealing with the already overwhelming experience of being bisexual but also who is going to be abused for it or feel incapable of coming out to their parents or peers. To then turn to a comic they like and find solace in and then find out "Oh, this comic says that only bad people are like me!" is some nasty bullshit to have to step into.
    She/Her | Want to be a girl? Click here! | What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

I just saw that even Polygon covered Mineta's potential bisexuality and remembered that CCC would've probably just covered his interpretation and what feedback he got from the editors on how to translate that part in his usual trivia Twitter threads, if the toxic MHA fandom hadn't scared him off of Twitter

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

I like to imagine this is CCC trolling Twitter for bullying him. Mineta, the fake bi icon no one wanted.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Discovered Stowaway Lord Gaimon's Avatar

The idea of someone seriously being mad at or trying to debunk mineta being bi is extremly funny to me.

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYBM View Post
    Toga is framed as a villain and part of a group of sore losers who need to pull themselves up by their boot straps with too little attention paid to the fact that the issues actually lay with how society creates social outcasts by not tending to the needs of the ill and other marginalizes peoples.
    Hey bud, what manga are you reading instead? The core idea that hero society failed the ones who become villains is present in nearly every League of Villains member's backstory. It's arguably the main point of the whole series! I've never once gotten the impression that Twice, Toga, Shigaraki, or even Dabi would have been a normal well-adjusted person if they'd only tried harder themselves. As much as MHA has classic shonen training themes, the students of UA are all fortunate to be where they are, with mostly-safe quirks and in an institution that supports and trains them.

Anyways, it's almost certainly merely an unusual translation choice and nothing more. Though MHA and Jump in general could definitely use more LGBTQ+ representation. That's why I headcanon Kirishima as bi.

Representation matters.

*GOOD* representation matter more.

Just having a character be X doesn't matter if they're an *awful* character, or a horrific stereotype, and make that entire group look bad.

Like in One Piece. Compare the horrific transvestite giant headed stubbly monsters that chase Sanji. That's gross and rapey and if that's your first and only exposure to the idea, you're going ot think THAT is what all trans folks are like. And that's just... eww. But the series has Bon Kurei, Ivanokov, Inazuma, and more recently Kiku and Yamato. if THOSE are your first exposure to the idea, not so bad.

media has DECADES of very particular gay stereotypes to overcome. (And asian stereotyhpes. And black stereotypes. And...) Even super progressive *Star Trek* didn't get around to having main gay characters until like two years ago, when they could have been doing that in the 90's.

If Mineta was canonnically gay, he'd be the only confirmed gay character in the series, and he's awful and gross and wears a diaper and is a groper that mistreats women and just... ick. Straight men don't want that awful worst character in the series representing them, why would gay men?
    Last edited by Robby; August 3rd, 2021 at 07:12 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    The core idea that hero society failed the ones who become villains is present in nearly every League of Villains member's backstory.
    Yep. That aspect of them is what makes them compelling to me.

Instead of being cookie cutter "I'm just evil, I dunno. Fuck humanity lol" saturday morning villains,
    they're broken people who fell through the cracks of a flawed system,
    and their relationship as a group quickly turned into a "found family" situation.
    This was shown most effectively through Twice, which is why his death and Toga's reaction to it were so powerful to me.

It's literally inspired me to start writing my own "found family" style novel,
    involving a girl with powers who gets forced by the government into infiltrating/betraying criminal gangs,
    but one gang treats her really well and gives her a feeling of belonging,
    and she starts contemplating committing to the gang and ditching her masters.
    A moral crossroads story of "you say these are the bad guys, but they treat me better than you do".
    Last edited by MDL; August 3rd, 2021 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Hey bud, what manga are you reading instead? The core idea that hero society failed the ones who become villains is present in nearly every League of Villains member's backstory. It's arguably the main point of the whole series! I've never once gotten the impression that Twice, Toga, Shigaraki, or even Dabi would have been a normal well-adjusted person if they'd only tried harder themselves. As much as MHA has classic shonen training themes, the students of UA are all fortunate to be where they are, with mostly-safe quirks and in an institution that supports and trains them.

Anyways, it's almost certainly merely an unusual translation choice and nothing more. Though MHA and Jump in general could definitely use more LGBTQ+ representation. That's why I headcanon Kirishima as bi.
    Please do not call me 'bud'. That makes me as dysphoric as 'sir'.

Robby already made a solid post but I need to underscore that yeah, framing all of your queer characters as antagonists is a big issue. If the LoSV were the actual protagonists I think that we'd be in a different place...but we're not.
    She/Her | Want to be a girl? Click here! | What's gender dysphoria, you ask? Click here to find out!

Quote Originally Posted by JulieYBM View Post
    Please do not call me 'bud'. That makes me as dysphoric as 'sir'.
    Apologies! I use bud, dude, and mate as non-gendered terms among my friends so I assure you I meant no offense at all by it. But I'll make a mental note of it.

Robby already made a solid post but I need to underscore that yeah, framing all of your queer characters as antagonists is a big issue. If the LoSV were the actual protagonists I think that we'd be in a different place...but we're not.
    Positive representation is definitely important. Horikoshi gets a little bit of credit for making a cool transgender hero with Tiger, but even that is countered by the villain Magne and the way transgender women are more stigmatized than transgender men. Yet the same time, the LoV were fiercely defensive of Magne and her pronouns, which was maybe the first flash of sympathetic characterization the League got.

And bi characters in particular could use more positive representation given how frequently bi or genderfluid characters are depicted as duplicitous. Mineta's certainly not positive.

Toga and friends being defensive of Magne-nee was nice! Where my criticism as a trans women comes in is the even cishet allies need to be criticized for what they do and for that I am indeed going to criticize Horikoshi. As an fan I love Toga and Magne-nee but that's why I need to be critical of how they are portrayed. If I were writing HeroAca I wouldn't mind at all making some antagonists bi (I'm the sort of weirdo who would make every character meant to be likable bi). I don think I'd have as many criticisms if the only queer characters were openly, well, extremely written.

Also, I would have done THAT to Magne-nee...

322 spoilers
    Spoiler:
    Oh wow. Anti-Bakugo's aren't gonna have any solid reasons to keep hating on him. Best character development in the series so far. Also this definitely makes him better than Sasuke for actually apologizing verbally, not just using actions and long stares. This is how I've wanted the asshat rivals to actually behave.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    322 spoilers
    Spoiler:
    Oh wow. Anti-Bakugo's aren't gonna have any solid reasons to keep hating on him. Best character development in the series so far. Also this definitely makes him better than Sasuke for actually apologizing verbally, not just using actions and long stares. This is how I've wanted the asshat rivals to actually behave.
    Spoiler:
    He is still a harsh ass, but he is indeed a well developed harsh ass.

Bakugou has never sat well with me as a character. At the very least there was something sexy about Sasuke being an asshole. Bakugou was just a bland asshole the entire time.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information