+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Monster 8

Default Monster 8

The new megahit from Jump+

First 3 chapters are available on Mangaplus. It seems they were in a hurry to make a double release since the last chapter is full of typo but the story is really entertaining so far

I put the resume in spoiler tag since it is spoilery and I'm glad I didn't read it

Spoiler:
    A man working a job far removed from his childhood dreams gets wrapped up in an unexpected situation…! Becoming a monster, he aims once again to fulfill his lifelong dream…!

It is by the author of Pochi Kuro, a very nice 4 volumes long shonen which I really recommend too if you are a shonen boy like me
    Last edited by Kdom; August 19th, 2020 at 02:58 PM.

Default Re: Monster 8

Saw it on MangaPlus too and the cover caught my eye. I enjoyed it, quite funny and got me interested.

About Pochi Kuro that you mentioned, was it cancelled at 4 volumes or it's a planned short publication? I would like to give it a shot but if it's an incomplete story I won't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by GanonBR View Post
    About Pochi Kuro that you mentioned, was it cancelled at 4 volumes or it's a planned short publication? I would like to give it a shot but if it's an incomplete story I won't bother.
    I don't know if it was cancelled but the end is satisfying and the story feels complete

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    I don't know if it was cancelled but the end is satisfying and the story feels complete
    I see, thanks for the recommendation! I'll give it a read

It's neat, treads a lot of familiar ground but not in an unpleasant way. Naming your metamorphosing protagonist 'Kafka' is a bit on the nose, though. I actually like the art style too, despite it being a bit generic. Feels very clean and clear.

That's quite a clifhanger that wasn't expexted

Definitely my favorite among the series that started recently on M+. I love their take on monster eradication and how they manage to slip in gags every now and then.

While we're on recent series that are not taking themselves too seriously, Hard Boiled Cop & Dolphin isn't bad either. More conventional setting, a bit low-brow, yet it has that crazy Belzeebub vibe (might be the same author, I didn't check but the drawing style is familiar)

Quote Originally Posted by Seafarer33 View Post
    Definitely my favorite among the series that started recently on M+. I love their take on monster eradication and how they manage to slip in gags every now and then.

While we're on recent series that are not taking themselves too seriously, Hard Boiled Cop & Dolphin isn't bad either. More conventional setting, a bit low-brow, yet it has that crazy Belzeebub vibe (might be the same author, I didn't check but the drawing style is familiar)
    Yes it is the same author as Beelzebub.

Another chapter is out today. We should catch japan release next week
    https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007610

Why do always rich girls have hateful parents ? Anyway Kafka is cool once again

I have to say, Kafka sounds like some type of arabian dish.

I was wondering if they were going to drag out the reveal longer or what. We could still get prude girl as a main character and in on the secret while the others (romantic interest, second in command, monster hunter agency in general etc) stay in the dark for a while, and it seems likely because that's a lot of material to just drop in the first 10 chapters.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I have to say, Kafka sounds like some type of arabian dish.
    Really ? I thought the relation to Franz Kafka was rather obvious

Quote Originally Posted by fdsfgfs View Post
    I was wondering if they were going to drag out the reveal longer or what. We could still get prude girl as a main character and in on the secret while the others (romantic interest, second in command, monster hunter agency in general etc) stay in the dark for a while, and it seems likely because that's a lot of material to just drop in the first 10 chapters.
    Also thought it was weird to have his monster form revealed this soon.

Was hoping we would get a period of having to fight using weird strategies and creativity, but oh well

Am I the only one that notices the exorbitant amount of mistakes in this thing. What makes it worse is at the beginning of each chapter they go out of their way to list the translator, letterer, editor, and the company responsible for all the mistakes. It just feels very unprofessional to me and makes me wonder why there doesn't seem to be any real oversight. I enjoy the manga but it almost feels like the mistakes are intentional at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeorn View Post
    Am I the only one that notices the exorbitant amount of mistakes in this thing. What makes it worse is at the beginning of each chapter they go out of their way to list the translator, letterer, editor, and the company responsible for all the mistakes. It just feels very unprofessional to me and makes me wonder why there doesn't seem to be any real oversight. I enjoy the manga but it almost feels like the mistakes are intentional at this point.
    Care to elaborate? But I did just notice that this seems to be one of the few series where MangaPlus and Viz have different versions, different translators, different letterers. The Viz version only credits those two each chapter

The chapter 3 of mangaplus was terrible in terms of typos the first time I read it. But it seems they have made another version since then

Just read it yesterday. The first chapter was cool, but from the second on I thought things were starting to get dumb. I'm not talking about the purposefully dumb things like nipple pissing, those are funny, but things like all the examination judges only watching the main character while ignoring the other 253 contestants because main character.

I will try to give it a few more chapters, but I will probably drop it after 2 or 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Care to elaborate? But I did just notice that this seems to be one of the few series where MangaPlus and Viz have different versions, different translators, different letterers. The Viz version only credits those two each chapter
    The manga is full of typos.
    In 20 months reading the VIZ translation of OP, MHA, Chainsaw-man, I don't remember spotting one single typo. But here, there hasn't been one single chapter without a typo (most of them having multiple examples). Not to mention the main character's name being romanized as Kafka in the first chapter, then changed to Kafuka for a couple others, and now back to Kafka again.
    The phrasal structure some times gets weird too, but I since I suck at this in English, it could be just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdom View Post
    Really ? I thought the relation to Franz Kafka was rather obvious
    When he was thinking about how things turned out, I suddenly realized "oh right, he is called Kafka. So I suppose he will wake up on the next day turned into a monster". Next thing I did was "turn" the page and there it was.

Default Monster 8

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    The manga is full of typos.
    In 20 months reading the VIZ translation of OP, MHA, Chainsaw-man, I don't remember spotting one single typo. But here, there hasn't been one single chapter without a typo (most of them having multiple examples). Not to mention the main character's name being romanized as Kafka in the first chapter, then changed to Kafuka for a couple others, and now back to Kafka again.
    The phrasal structure some times gets weird too, but I since I suck at this in English, it could be just me.
    Do you remember if it's the Viz version or the MangaPlus version you read? I don't remember catching any typos and I'd say that I'm quite sensitive to them. I think I've mainly read Viz' so far, with them using Kaiju and Yonju instead of monsters. But while skimming a few chapters for typos between both versions, I did notice that the MangaPlus version does have weird sentence structures here and there so I'm inclined to believe that their version is the only messy one

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Do you remember if it's the Viz version or the MangaPlus version you read? I don't remember catching any typos and I'd say that I'm quite sensitive to them. I think I've mainly read Viz' so far, with them using Kaiju and Yonju instead of monsters. But while skimming a few chapters for typos between both versions, I did notice that the MangaPlus version does have weird sentence structures here and there so I'm inclined to believe that their version is the only messy one
    Sorry, it was Mangaplus.
    If they were the same I don't think you would have missed them, they aren't discreet at all... so it really must be two different translations I guess. Now I'm curious how that works.

The MangaPlus version is full or errors.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information