+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18

Thread: What Anime Are You Watching?

Default Re: What Anime Are You Watching?

Recently finished the Toradora anime. It was a cute and fun romance anime that managed to tug my heart strings. Though this another example of an anime with a "short" 17-year-old girl, which just feels like the artists' way of getting around having a romance with an underage loli girl, which is kinda creepy to be honest.

Also, I really don't get the point of Ami's character. She's just a bitch who none of the main cast have any reason to hang around with and she never really affects the main plot at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Recently finished the Toradora anime. It was a cute and fun romance anime that managed to tug my heart strings. Though this another example of an anime with a "short" 17-year-old girl, which just feels like the artists' way of getting around having a romance with an underage loli girl, which is kinda creepy to be honest.
    Toradora's author is a female author and her subsequent work Golden Time is well known in the community for some really good depiction and subversion of the stereotypical japanese girl.
    The loli/cute little girl that looks like an adult is an ingrained part of the anime culture for years and yes maybe some people might find it comfortable but a significant portion of the community do find it adorable and don't sexualize stuff unless the author goes out of his way to do it. Which is usually commercial crap.

Either way, this is the stereotypical superimposition of "my culture and perspective is better" without bothering to even search up the author.

Also, I really don't get the point of Ami's character. She's just a bitch who none of the main cast have any reason to hang around with and she never really affects the main plot at all.
    She played a huge part in developing Taiga's character and personality. She may seem like a bitch but there's an actual reason for that (her upbringing and stardom). Also, she's kind of the narrative device to show how unhealthy Taiga/Ryuji relationship can be at times. Her not being in love (At least not explicitly to the extent of the other two) with the mc is actually refreshing back then.

Sorry if I came off strong but I was a huge fan back then and wanted to rebut some of your points.
    I'm glad you liked it, there's a reason why it has a classic cult status.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    Toradora's author is a female author and her subsequent work Golden Time is well known in the community for some really good depiction and subversion of the stereotypical japanese girl.
    The loli/cute little girl that looks like an adult is an ingrained part of the anime culture for years and yes maybe some people might find it comfortable but a significant portion of the community do find it adorable and don't sexualize stuff unless the author goes out of his way to do it. Which is usually commercial crap.
    Thank you for the information.

That said, regardless of the author's gender, it still feels kinda weird. But with Toradora, I'll grant that the author did at least make her shortness an important part of Taiga's character.

Another series I watched a while back, Angel Beats, had another short girl that got into a romantic relationship with a normal-sized guy, but with that one there wasn't even a reason for her to be that short. She just was. Honestly, I didn't even get she was supposed to be the same age as everyone else till towards the end.

And while it's true that these characters are not (explicitly) sexualized, they still end up in romantic relationships with men who are twice their height. It just feels iffy to me.

Either way, this is the stereotypical superimposition of "my culture and perspective is better" without bothering to even search up the author.
    I wasn't trying to say that. I'm just saying this one aspect of the show made me kind of uncomfortable.

She played a huge part in developing Taiga's character and personality.
    Hmm, didn't really pick up on that.

She may seem like a bitch but there's an actual reason for that (her upbringing and stardom).
    Of course there's a reason for it, but it doesn't make her any less unlikeable.

Sorry if I came off strong but I was a huge fan back then and wanted to rebut some of your points.
    Not a problem. Thanks again for the info.

Hello, thanks for the long and thought out reply.
    I just want to say I apologize for coming off that strongly and I'm pretty sure that last line of mine was unwarranted.
    I think a lot of this have to do with cultural differences and that in anime, "lolis" have been around for so long that it has been somewhat desensitized.
    I don't think there's really a need to argue whether that's a major issue or not because that's a whole plethora of issues to unravel.
    My point really is so that you can understand that the author likely only did it because of the "kawaii" factor, and that it's an imbued anime culture thing so it's nothing as deliberate.

On the other hand, there's a bunch of series that Japan does such as Oreimo which borders on moral deprivation and have seen mainstream appeal but Toradora is nowhere close.

Personally, I don't sexualize or have any interest down that path but I really would hate that aspect being removed because a huge charm of anime characters is how adorable they are designed.

It's something that western animation rarely comes close to.

If you're talking about how it's implying through a medium that less informed children should form relationships with older adults that are somewhat predatory and manipulative then yeah, I'm all against that.
    But Toradora never felt that way, neither did Angel beats.

This is a whole lot of words to basically say yeah I should have maybe considered that you are approaching this from a genuinely fresh angle rather than that of Twitter cancel cancerous culture.
    My bad for the outburst.

Quote Originally Posted by zeltrax225 View Post
    My bad for the outburst.
    Don't sweat it. I get that you have an attachment to the show and I can understand people seeing it as entirely innocuous. I certainly don't think there was any malicious intent behind Toradora (or Angel Beats), just maybe some unfortunate implications that I wanted to voice my viewpoint on.

Short girls need love too.

I recently watched through the final arc of YYH that I for some reason had never watched. I'd heard the ending of YYH wasn't that good but I enjoyed the anime ending. The manga's ending is apparently very different. I also watched the first Gundam Hathaway's Flash movie. Enjoyable but all over the place visually, which is especially disappointing for a movie. The mechs generally looked good for CGI but some of the other CGI was pretty bad, especially for some of the backgrounds. The ending sequence was great though. Still looking forward to the other two movies.

I tried Sarazanmai. It was fun, absurd and very well animated. BUT it didn't grip me. I have it on the backburner. I also fried Fruits Basket and could not get into it. Also tried Fairy Gone but I despised the way the CGI fairies were animated and the opening plot was very scattered, the characters did not grip me at all.
    EDIT - Totally forgot, I'm also watching the new season of One Punch Man. As you may have heard, the animation is not as good as the first season. I still like it for the writing, but it is being shown up by other shows I'm watching.
    Last edited by rayyanwatts; August 4th, 2021 at 09:29 AM.

Started watching Mushishi and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Mushishi is a pleasantly chill series, despite the fact there is usually some pretty heavy stuff going on and even some body horror. And maybe it's the Doctor Who fan in me, but I love stories about characters who just travel around solving people's problems.

Still have a long way to go LGH, but it's shaping up to be a pretty great and grand story. I like how, even though it kinda starts in media res and throws a ton of characters at you, it's still pretty easy to follow.

The first couple episodes of the OVA are kind of hard to follow and do kind of scare you about how many characters you're going to have to remember. The movie Overture to a New War is a better intro than those episodes imo. LoGH is well paced though in general. Makes it feel like it's not 110 episodes.

I'm giving Sonny Boy a try after seeing that beautiful clip on Twitter.

Mushishi is one of my favorite anime, such a great premise and wonderful animation. I also love the opening... Shiver, right?

A while back, a friend of mine recommended that I watch Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, and I couldn't bring myself to do it because of the ridiculous title.

But, now that it's on Netflix, I'm finally giving it a shot. Really enjoying it so far!

I'm rewatching 2011 Hunter X Hunter and really missing the manga. I wish Togashi would let someone take the reigns and get us to the Dark Continent.
    Check out my podcast for conversations about Greatness in anime, sports, music, and whatever else we can think of.
    mtgoatmore.buzzsprout.com

Discovered Stowaway

Finished watching the first season of Shamanking on Netflix. Watched the sub of it, might do a rewatch in the dub version later this year. So far the anime is ok. Its really fast paced compared to how I remember reading the manga a few years back, as well as the old anime.
    Other than that, I started watching the Great Pretender, finished watching the Los Angeles case. Kinda knew that Laural and Abbie would not be dead, as Laural dropped a few hints in some of his conversations with Edamura. So far the anime was visual superb, haven't seen a bad episode yet, from story progression or animation.
    SW-3170-8630-8341

I am watching Futari Wa Pretty Cure Max Heart. It is amazingly fun. I hated the second half of the first series so I expected to hate this one. Not the case thankfully.

I also watch Tropical Rouge weekly.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information