+ Reply to Thread
Page 377 of 386 FirstFirst ... 277 327 367 375 376 377 378 379 ... LastLast
Results 7,521 to 7,540 of 7710

Thread: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

Default Re: Funimation DVD Discussion IV (Please Check First Post for FAQ)

I mean, I wouldn’t really jump to conclusions, 5 weeks is pretty common and we could still have an announcement for that. But to be pessimistic, yes I can certainly see that happening lol.
    The real arlong park was the friends we made along the way

I don't mind if they start stretching out the releases again, makes picking up the Voyages more affordable, just as long as it doesn't grind to a halt for months on end again.

We’ll never catch up if they slow down again. I can’t imagine them catching up by putting out 13 episodes every two months while the sub puts out eight.
    Has your country trapped you in a literal birdcage? Go back in time with the ikot-ikot fruit and vote Birdie Sanders for President today!

Who said they had to catch up?

Would be nice if they caught up and/or started a simuldub like most other countries.
    Has your country trapped you in a literal birdcage? Go back in time with the ikot-ikot fruit and vote Birdie Sanders for President today!

Which countries exactly? The two most popular dubs I know of are the german one, which is in WCI, and the french one, which is in wano but still 50 or so episodes behind. As far as I know there is no one piece simul dub currently in existence. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to catch up, but acting like it’s a must is a tad silly. They’re used to this format and because of that I think they’d avoid ever catching up entirely.

I don’t mean that there are other simuldubs, only that other countries are caught up into Wano.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Does anyone know how other countries caught up? It seems impossible to gain a ton of ground unless you’re releasing in huge batches quickly.

My guess is they probably started before 2007. Aside from the french dub I think the korean dub is there? Could be more but Im pretty sure its a rather small amount.

Korea has a simuldub.

I don't think a simuldub would be a good idea. For the simple reason that if they are attempting to get a dub out that fast, not only do they not have a whole lot of time to iron out the script and make things actually, y'know, sound good, but it's also much harder to account for foreshadowing. Which is admittedly a problem One Piece will have until the day it's over considering how Oda likes to set up stuff and not elaborate on them until many years later (see: Doflamingo namedropping Smiles all the way back in Sabaody, Haki being hinted at as early as Jaya, the fucking name of the final island) but letting the dub maintain at least some level of distance to the Japanese airings should at least help somewhat. ...Though even with that, they still managed to dub Momo's "What is your name?" flashback with Doflamingo's voice even though that line was eventually revealed to have been said by Kaido...
    Also just the fact that any kind of simulcast translations tend to be rushed, and mistranslations because of this can easily make their way into the dub. I remember an instance early on in Assassination Classroom where a line that was very obviously meant to be "He's dying" (Like, this didn't rely on future revelations; The scene itself made it apparent) was instead translated as "I'm dying" and that made it into the dub. Though... considering how I'm pretty sure the DVD subs these days are literally just the rushed Toei TLs from the simulcast with no changes at all and the dub is based off that same translation, I guess a simuldub would be no more likely to contain straight-up translation errors than a dub they took more time with...

This turned into quite the rambling stream of consciousness. Point is at the end of the day I think a less rushed dub produced with more knowledge of what's going to happen later down the line would be preferrable. It might be frustrating in the moment but in the long term it would make the dub better.

I exist...I guess....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Starfish View Post
    Though... considering how I'm pretty sure the DVD subs these days are literally just the rushed Toei TLs from the simulcast with no changes at all and the dub is based off that same translation, I guess a simuldub would be no more likely to contain straight-up translation errors than a dub they took more time with...
    Not entirely; there are some changes made to terminology to make the subs more consistent throughout. Though they only seem to do the bare minimum and their still ends up being quite a number of inconsistencies.

Glad you realized the Doffy line slip up despite your argument. I don’t think anyone in charge of the dub pays attention to the current OP episodes. Mike is the leader and he only stays thirty episodes ahead—he’s said multiple times. So I don’t see that argument being valid.

And when it comes to a simuldub being “rushed,” I think they’ve proven over the past few years that they can put out the same quality dubbing on this timeline. If you think of it practically, what does more time give them? An extra few minutes with each actor to do more takes? I don’t believe they rush that process. If anything needs to be rushed, it’s the scheduling of the actors.

And as we keep seeing, they make mistakes either way. I don’t think this will increase that number by much if at all.

When I say simuldub, I don’t mean a week behind. I mean more like a month behind, maybe even two. But something close and weekly. Note some “simuldubs” like Wonder Egg Priority that were a few months behind.

When they dubbed the “what’s your name” scene, it was long before the anime even adapted the chapter it called back to. In fact, it’s very possible it was recorded, or just written, before the chapter even came out. So I think using that as an example for their attention to detail is a bit disingenuous. Here’s a better example: Kanjuro. He gets a line what, 70 something episodes before he’s properly introduced? Chances are if they were simul dubbing at the time Kanjuro would either have a really unfitting voice or be entirely recast.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake Bakes Cakes View Post
    When they dubbed the “what’s your name” scene, it was long before the anime even adapted the chapter it called back to. In fact, it’s very possible it was recorded, or just written, before the chapter even came out. So I think using that as an example for their attention to detail is a bit disingenuous. Here’s a better example: Kanjuro. He gets a line what, 70 something episodes before he’s properly introduced? Chances are if they were simul dubbing at the time Kanjuro would either have a really unfitting voice or be entirely recast.
    Just some food for thought so hear me out. Those instances with mismatched voices would be rare and it's not like they couldn't re-record those smaller translation or character instances for home release (at a stretch). They have re-recorded One Piece episodes from when the Funi dub first aired, and there are plenty of re-recordings of about everything DBZ.

The sad thing is that the errors which now exist in the dub streams and home media releases will stay. Unfortunately these episodes are already a thing of the past in this game of catch up. Not really as important for quality control as simuldub episodes.

There's bound to be a be a lot more errors sure. However a simuldub would give them a chance to go back and fix those errors in the future for streams or home releases. Given the amount of attention from fans they would surely notice where it went wrong.

A simuldub of course would be huge for drawing attention to the dub, and it's certainly not outside the realms of possibility. However I think it's something that Toei would absolutely need to push for rather than Funimation.

The thing is like… I feel like even then they wouldn’t fix ALL the mistakes. I mean like I highly doubt the quality bar would be any higher than now tbh. A simul dub all together just really wouldn’t be practical for such a long running show. Especially now, Covid is still a thing and thats very much effecting the schedule. Even seasonal shows usually don’t have dub episodes coming out every single week, only like a select few that are airing on too nami or whatever and thus need a consistent schedule. I think the thought process is why not just expend the effort that could be used to dub new episodes, into old episodes. Like they’ve always done.

I like the simuldubbing idea in particular because it stops them from continuously falling farther and farther behind.

I doubt the quality would change much if they moved from this fast release schedule to simildubbing. It might even improve because they’ll then have a second opportunity to make revisions AND there will be more attention paid to each episode regards quality control.

I think Funi has proven with MHA, AoT, and other big shows that they can handle a simildub of OP. I really don’t get the concern that they’d be unable to handle it. They’re doing like 10+ shows all the time. And they only keep expanding as they pull on more staff/directors.

My hero academia and Attack on Titan are seasonal, so there’s frankly a huge difference. They don’t have to keep up dubs for those shows on a consistent schedule year round.

26 episodes or so each. Half as many as OP. AoT + MHA = OP.

That’s… not how that works. Each show has a completely different production. The reason simul dubs are so difficult is because the rate you get materials is not 100% consistent. But even ignoring that, the only way that would logistically work is if they had multiple directors working on it. Now to that you may say “well yeah they do already”, but what I mean is you’d basically have to have consistent communication between multiple people when you’re ALSO supposed to be working nonstop so you can get everything done before the hard deadline.

I’m not even saying it would necessarily be *impossible*, but simul dubs are already such a hard thing to accomplish they were thought to be a complete possibility not that many years ago. For a show like one piece it would not be worth the extra effort and headache, especially when you have such a plethora of content that you have yet to dub that WOULDNT be under such tight conditions.

A better example would be Black Clover, until the pandemic FUnimation managed to keep themselves about a good 2 to 3 episodes behind Japan, Black Clover also has a large cast.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information