View Poll Results: Is Yamato joining the crew?

Voters
95. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

75 78.95%
  • No

20 21.05%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Default Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

Take a look back, if you care to:
    Vol. 1
    Vol. 2
    Vol. 3
    Vol. 4
    Vol. 5
    Vol. 6
    Vol. 7
    Vol. 8

Over a year later and there's no denying that Yamato has taken the community by storm. Can anyone overtake him now? Only the end of this arc will tell. Until then, you are free as ever to discuss the future of the crew as you see it.

The rules remain the same: be civil, don't blame, don't flame and don't troll. Ready…

*BEH-BEN!*

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Default Re: Next Straw Hat Crewmates (Vol. 9 - Yamato vs. The World)

I just feel like Yamato staying on the island and not going after his dream of sailing the seas and going on adventures is a huge slap to the face of the very core of what this franchise is about

It would be the equivalent of having the first avengers movie where the characters don’t become a team at the end and save the day

Or having a Star Trek movie that’s about exploring the unknown parts of space but instead they spend every season on an already discovered world and do no adventuring

You know what I mean, it’s spitting in the face of every ideal this series has created in it’s two decades of existence

I am so 100% sure that Yamato will join the Straw Hats

'been sure since she said she wanted to join Luffy, a few chapters after her debut.

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by DarthAsthma View Post
    Do people really feel like Vivi was bait? I feel like Oda was very obvious about her. Maybe it's like the bias of knowing but I don't think Oda particularly invested into doing any huge misleads on where Vivi's priorities were. Hence it just made sense that she would choose her country over the pirate life.
    Like I think when you look back on the Luffy vs Vivi scene is what hits it home that Vivi would put everything she has herself(her life, wishes, etc) to save her country, it is when she learns to let the crew risk themselves along side her that make their bonds hit home. That was basically the biggie to seal her putting Alabasta's recovery ahead of her own desires imo.
    Really the main reason I feel if people were unsure back then there was just A LOT less of one piece to look back on to really form an understanding on Oda's tendencies in regards to his story.
    I don't get it either.

Had the argument with someone in here (previous thread) that Vivi was never a candidate to actually join. Not at any point did I think Oda would buck the trend he established in east blue to have Vivi join especially after the way Chopper joined.

Vivi to me was always just the princess in the save the kingdom story.

The most she had going for her was crew interaction. No pirate/seafaring related skills, no particular skills in battle, etc. Its why I found it weird ppl would say she would join in the role of princess as of it were a position. Best I would hear sometimes is it described as her being a diplomat but the need wasn't there like with Robin.

But hey if we learn Alabasta has been buster called out of existence or there's a completely new leader and the Nefertaris are out now we got a tragic past we can work with.
    Quote Originally Posted by theackwardstation View Post
    I started reading weekly in Amazon Lily, so after Brook, but I remember my first impressions (and I was spoiler-less):

East Blue SHs -- all obvious, of course.
    Chopper -- this was the first tricky one, because Kureha got more spotlight at first and I wasn't expecting a mascot to join, but the flashback made it clear.
    Robin -- didn't see it coming at all.
    Franky -- I don't know when it became obvious to me that Franky would join, but honestly it never crossed my mind that Paulie would join (and I was surprised to find out that the OP community believed he could).
    Brook -- I bought his recruitment from the start.
    Jimbe -- Believed he would join since before the timeskip.

Characters that didn't join:
    Vivi -- I thought she would remain with the crew, so I was wrong (yes, I know that she's a SH anyway)
    Paulie -- as I said before, no.
    Perona, Hancock, Shirahoshi, Monet, Rebecca -- never thought they would join.
    Colosseum characters -- it was hard to figure out what Oda intended to do with them, but I didn't believe that Barto or Cavendish would join after spending some time with them.
    Pedro - never thought he would join.

Current contenders:
    Carrot -- if she doesn't join, it's gonna be my first major mistake because there was a point I believed more than 70% that she would join, and the ship is sailing...
    Momonosuke -- I can see it happening, but I wouldn't bet on it.
    Kinnemon -- I considered it a lot during Punk Hazard, but stopped believing in the possibility in Dressrosa.
    Tama -- no.
    Yamato -- a lot of spotlight on him right now, so I'm expecting a proportional payoff, but narrative-wise I can see it going in many ways, including joining. I'm 50/50.
    Law - no, but he's almost a main character anyway.
    Others -- no.
    Wow started in Amazon Lily and didn't hop aboard the Marguritte train?

I remember her fans were hoping she'd sneak on the ship to Impel Down and help Luffy until the goodbye. Same with after Marineford and Luffy's two years of training. I think there were holdouts hoping she'd just go to Sabaody with Luffy.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Voted no. Come at me ya'll.

Cool, new thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    I just feel like Yamato staying on the island and not going after his dream of sailing the seas and going on adventures is a huge slap to the face of the very core of what this franchise is about

It would be the equivalent of having the first avengers movie where the characters don’t become a team at the end and save the day

Or having a Star Trek movie that’s about exploring the unknown parts of space but instead they spend every season on an already discovered world and do no adventuring

You know what I mean, it’s spitting in the face of every ideal this series has created in it’s two decades of existence
    I'm not even sure how much of this last year's worth of manga can very much support Yamato doubting to want to go to sea with Luffy, because as far as I'm concerned, any care she has had towards Momo and the rest of Wano has only extended to the point of not wanting them to get destroyed by Kaidou, but not to the point of obligating herself of dismissing all of her desires outright just for them and only being with them. She has already gone through a lot in dedicating herself in living up to Oden, so I'm not sure if dedicating the rest of her life to saving them, also in light of her counting on Momo enough to lead Wano and other citizens supporting him back going forward.
    Last edited by electricmastro; October 17th, 2021 at 11:17 PM.

No "hindsight" needed. Go back and plenty of us were there week 1 with Brook. (well, week 2 technically I guess is when we got the yohoho and musician part.) Oda put a neon flashing sign.

Maybe we didn't*like* him because he made a horrible first impression, but lots of us never had any doubt in the matter.

I do not understand how people did. I see reasons put out there and none of them felt very strong, even at the time. The narrative was just... super obvious about the fact he was the next character.

Robin aside, queen of exceptions that she is, Oda generally doesn't play sneaky when it comes to making the next crewmember.
    Hindsight is needed to confirm who was right. Plenty of people were with Paulie in the first weeks. That's also where Oda did play sneaky when it comes to the next crewmate, at least for a while. This is just outcome bias.

It does feel like Oda is giving us reasons for and against Yamato joining the crew every chapter (currently Chapter 1028, Yamato the Makami is heading in to the Skull Dome to destroy explosives). One thing I feel is totally unambiguous, though, is Jinbe's toast being delayed until the feast a page before Yamato's first mention in the manga, with Kaido saying his son needs to appear at the feast. This connection was further reinforced by the anime with Yamato being directly tied into the delay of the toast.

Since then, we've had reasons for him to leave (a repeatedly reinforced dream of leaving Wano to go on adventure since childhood, physical and metaphorical chains binding him to Wano, etc.) and reasons for him to stay in Wano (devil fruit is a guardian deity of Wano, the possibility of Wano needing protection, Yamato acting as a guide for Momonosuke, the possibility of Yamato symbolically healing wounds through acceptance, etc.). For many, one side or the other of this makes it seem obvious what the outcome will be. It's also possible to satisfy setup on both sides without Yamato joining the crew (form a new pirate crew and go on his own adventure, or delay going on an adventure until Wano is safe, etc.) For me, though, I have trouble seeing how Jinbe's delayed toast, followed by Yamato focused chapters "The Sake I Brewed to Drink With You" "Straw Hat Luffy", could mean anything other than Yamato joining the crew.
    Last edited by Roosta; October 17th, 2021 at 11:05 PM.

@electricmastro
    The biggest thing I feel is missing in regards to Yamato joining is clarification is what and how she would contribute in forwarding towards Luffy's story and the story overall. She hasn't really demonstrated any skills or abilities beyond fighting, and this combined with the idea of soldiers tending to defend something like their country or something they care about in general may fall into that, in addition to her guardian theme.
    Would guardian of the Sunny, not be enough? We already had Kuma take that role once. The Sunny almost got destroyed by some fodder with bombs. It could even be a conflict of interest, with wanting to explore the world and staying on duty.

@Zik
    The exchanging of sake cups and becoming siblings usually comes after close deep bonds. Ace, Sabo, and Luffy spent a great deal pf their childhood together and ended up saving each other.

I agree.
    As of right now, Yamato and Luffy would have to spend a lot more time together. A character put in the position to possibly be Luffy's sibling when he's already grown up would've at least would've had to be side by side with him like from Saboady to Amazon Lily to Impel Down to Marineford back to Amazon Lily and then back to Saboady after two years.

I think that this type of bond can be formed in more than one way, time surely helps, but is not the only factor. You can develop that sort of relationship overtime like Ace, Sabo and Luffy did, or by overcoming a big *event/trauma* together. Which they are doing right now. If the stakes continue to elevate, with Big Mom, CP0, maybe even Blackbeard right around the corner. There are still chances for Yamato to save Luffy’s life with a similar weight to Luffy removing the cuffs.
    The role Yamato is in right now really only fits next crewmate, long term ally, or reoccurring ally that shows up later. Becoming a sibling is a bigger deal than crewmate. Luffy doesn't just offer that up.

I agree with any of those fits. I just think it would be exciting to meet a character Luffy would offer that up to.
    I will say I too considered something around that area when I saw Yamato opposite Ace on the vol. 100 cover thinking of what it could mean or where that placement might point too but as of now it doesn't make sense given what Oda has done with the character so far to reach that conclusion. Oda's done a lot more early with Yamato that he didn't do with Ace. Technically Ace still didn't really get a deep focus and focused flashback. The Rogue story he was an infant, the Sabo flashback is shared with Luffy, and a lot simply wasn't fleshed out with his issues with Roger nor was there much bonding with his adoptive grandfather. Yamato is being handled differently.

I would say there is very little too. The idea sprung from a user asking: if Yamato is not the next crew member, then what is their role in the story? I do not believe they will stay in Wano as their guardian. From my perspective, Yamato will at the very least receive Luffy’s vivre card. Hell, Yamato gave Ace theirs.
    Before the raid started Luffy said they'd do the sake thing and officially welcome Jimbe in a big party celebrating the alliance and raid being successful. Chapters 999 to 1000 laid out that Yamato was waiting for him in the title. Its Yamato talking directly to Luffy. Points to more admiration that's currently one sided that doesn't lean to a potential familial bond forming.

Yes, right now Yamato is indebted to Luffy, the latter gave them their freedom and a chance to fight. However, Wano has not ended, there are still chances for their bond to deepen and it will. For now we know Yamato will handle the explosives. It would be cool to see them ward off the explosions in their wolf form with ice powers.

Even as the next crew member, Jimbe helped Luffy overcome his trauma and had a very emotional request to join with the blood transfusion to save Luffy’s life. To clarify, more than saying that this will happen. The question is: how could it happen? What could Yamato do now, in this short period of time, that could make Luffy ask them. Kaido has been telling Yamato that they are superior to humans and that they will be hated. Becoming a sibling with a human spits right on those notions that Kaido has.

@Rean
    Guardian deity stuff: I do not think it has to be that overcomplicated. Wano has many guardian deities, so any of them would have an easy time governing the citizens of Wano that mostly revere them. Like, how for ancient Greeks it may be easier to follow a ruler with the blessings of Zeus, etc.

Last edited by K. Kira XXIII; October 17th, 2021 at 11:06 PM.
    Hidden:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamiel View Post
    Try out my first game! All feedback is welcome, enjoy and thanks. Heroine: Kiku
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Zik View Post
    Wow started in Amazon Lily and didn't hop aboard the Marguritte train?

I remember her fans were hoping she'd sneak on the ship to Impel Down and help Luffy until the goodbye. Same with after Marineford and Luffy's two years of training. I think there were holdouts hoping she'd just go to Sabaody with Luffy.
    I have to admit that I completely forgot about her when I was writing that list, lol.

To be honest, I was considering she could join in the two weeks after I started reading weekly (chapter 519), but those were not strong convinctions or anything. Amazon Lily was a weird time because the crew had just separated and nobody knew exactly where the story was heading next. I thought Marguerite would help Luffy to leave the island somehow, so why not join the crew at the end of this hypothetical adventure? But soon everything took a turn when Luffy found out about Ace and Hancock fell in love with him, so I quickly dismissed Marguerite even before leaving the island.

I'll just repost my initial impressions on Yamato from July 2020. Seems to mostly still be the case.

TWO dramatic introductions, an actual backstory that will be relevant to the rest of the arc and create conflict and story points with the arc we're in, a connection to Ace, a unique weapon and fighting style, a quirk of a woman claiming to be a man? These are all actually unique things to the character. Child of an Emporer is unique to Kaidou, but BM has a million kids including Pudding, so its not that big a deal.
    All still true, and then some. He's been one of THE focus characters of the arc.

But the Oden worship is kind of like fifty other characters like all the scabbards. Dream seems very tied to the current location, and like they're just sort of here to help conveniently tie up some plot threads by coincidentally owning Oden's journal... and who knows what quick fix plot wraps ups that could provide later.
    In the year since we've gotten way more clarity on that. Definitely has a dream of wanting to sail, not just "protect Wano". The Oden thing is still a little iffy but he's mostly passed it on to Momo it seems.

Ace connection was already a thing with Jinbe, and Tama within the same arc also has it, so that's not much. "I knew Ace" is maybe becoming too much of a convenient shorthand for instant connection.
    Oda's double, tripled, and quadrupled down on the Ace connection. It's not just a "I met him once" thing, but significantly more than that. Yamato made Ace's vivre card!

It was pointed out that he was in fact in Oden's flashback (or at least the pants were) so Oda conceivably had the character in mind a few months earlier than first mentioned, but that's hardly a "third sake cup shadow indicating Sabo" level of "Oda definitely was being sneaky here" situation. I'd feel more strongly if they were alluded to much earlier, similar to how Pudding was shown off years in advance.
    Still a late add in the arc, but given how much he's dominated SINCE that appearance, how long the entire arc is running, and how lcrucial Oden was to understanding the character... more understandable than it was. If we take Oda's Rose of Versailles comment to be *a* origin of the character as we currently know them, that puts a least a year in advance.

Oda displayed the "original crew he conceived" when the whole group got to the island in that big battle pose, so anyone he adds last will be a late addition. One year later or 22 years later, we'll never know unless told specifically.

Design wise, it seems like the horns are real (they were underneath the mask and multicolored) , he's very tall, she's got a little hair twirl at the top, and I think the hair fading from one color to the next is neat and fairly unique. Not unprecedented, Jinbe had the same thing going on when he was younger, and I feel like Ulti's hair stripes are a bit more unique I think. Oda put some thought into this design, but not a crazy ammount.
    If his main hair color ends up being white, purple, or red, that'll add some points though.
    Ended up being white hair with purple tints, and red horns. Hit all three! Plus a completely unique triple tint which no other character in the series has.

But oh man the Nami face is strong on this one. The eyes are different but... its very Nami. A stronger jawline or some cheekbones or something would make a difference, its definitely no Robin level of decisive facial distinctness.
    This has been subtly tweaked since. At a very specific angle of closeup they overlap, but Oda realized that and took steps to tweak the designs. Accentuating the eyebrows, pulling up the black mark, making sure the horns are in camera, etc. It's fine now.

So between the strong Nami face and the heavy Wano ties, I'm not riding this particular hype train, but its the most potential we've had in a character in a while. Devil fruit could obviously make a big difference. Strong secondary character to be sure, convenient to speed up the arc, not screaming nakama to me just yet.
    Well, he's screaming nakama now! Chapter 1016 completely clinched it for me. "I am going to sail with Luffy" leaves no doubts for me.

I just hope we get proper resolution on the "I am Oden" thing in how it related to him wanting to be called a man soon. Just, a definitive one way or another, I don't know that I can deal with the flamewars and transphobes for years to come. If Yamato decides to embrace being a woman, great, I'll switch over to "she" immediately. But for now, he wants to be a man, so he it is.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

People mistaking Yamato for Nami reminds me of this:

In the slums of heaven... I'm renting out a condo in hell though.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post

Even as the next crew member, Jimbe helped Luffy overcome his trauma and had a very emotional request to join with the blood transfusion to save Luffy’s life. To clarify, more than saying that this will happen. The question is: how could it happen? What could Yamato do now, in this short period of time, that could make Luffy ask them. Kaido has been telling Yamato that they are superior to humans and that they will be hated. Becoming a sibling with a human spits right on those notions that Kaido has.
    As far as siblings go, there's nothing saying Yamato didn't form that bond with a human when he was young and traded sake cups to become siblings. Still a bit more to be revealed about his past. Could still work in to everything Kaido has said and Yamato's protests. The death of a sibling being a part of his tragic past would only closer parallel his story with Luffy's.
    Last edited by Zik; October 18th, 2021 at 12:07 AM.
    Zik Of The 7 Swords: Vision? What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder your illusions, and send the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself, Are you ready to see that vision?
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by K. Kira XXIII View Post
    @electricmastro
    Would guardian of the Sunny, not be enough? We already had Kuma take that role once. The Sunny almost got destroyed by some fodder with bombs. It could even be a conflict of interest, with wanting to explore the world and staying on duty.
    Maybe, but I'm sure it could go a little further. Maybe there could even be symbolism of Yamato being guardian of the sun. lol

This is my Yamato nakama theory I started last year that consolidates the varying Yamato theories I've made since his appearance/introduction in chapter 983/984.

Yamato: The Bonds Of Sea And Adventure (Nakama Theory)

At the moment, no other character has been as closely linked to the Straw Hat Pirates and their end goal within the story as Yamato. When you couple Yamato’s curiosity for the “Will of D” and Luffy with Yamato’s desire to sail the seas, their love for adventure and their awareness of Joy Boy and the “Dawn”, it seems apt to have such a character more closely tied to the Straw Hat Pirates than not. Yamato’s interest go well beyond those limited to just the Wano Kuni Arc.

There are elements to Yamato’s character and story that give you pause and makes you think about the potential Yamato has and how important they could be going forward. Narratively, Oda has written so much momentum behind Yamato that it becomes hard not to take notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Hindsight is needed to confirm who was right.
    Hindsight is for if you missed the solution the first time, then later went back and saw the clues before you came to the right result. Be it in a story or a romance or a military blunder.

But if you saw the right answer the first time, and for the right reasons (not just wild random guessing), and you weren't shaken from your belief once you had it, then no hindsight was needed, your present sight at the time was sufficient.

Plenty of people were with Paulie in the first weeks.
    Sure, before Franky actually appeared on camera. But you had to jump onto the hype train in the first place. Same as all the folks that jumped onto Caimie or Hancock or Rebecca or Pedro or whatever.

I can't really weigh in fairly on Paulie/Franky, the story was at Enies Lobby when I caught up back in the day and after bonding with Usopp and post-Flashback it was clearly Franky by that point, I'd never really had time to stop and speculate and think about it and I wasn't reading week to week... though I personally liked Paulie more, Franky was TOO crazy, but I didn't get into those discussions till they were basically over. So I was never in on arguing for him one way or another or develping a strong opinion on the matter, there was too much momentum going through the crazy that is Water 7.

But I was around for Brook, and Jinbe.

And a decade of next crewmate candidates and I've never felt any of them were sending the right signals. Most were just flashes in the pan easy to dismiss, Carrot's been the only one with any real steam, largely because she had no opposition for 4 years and a lot of folks truly believe she's next. And maybe she will be and they'll all be able to say they told me so when this done, and they'll have completely earned that by seeing something I just don't. But I've never been convinced of it with a good argument. And I'm easy to convince when an argument is actually good.

And then Yamato went them all out hard and heavy week 1.

I wasn't fully convinced until a little later, mostly because of the early Namiface, but he was the first character I saw signs in for over a decade and didn't just dismiss basically immediately, regardless of the design.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphin View Post
    This is my Yamato nakama theory I started last year that consolidates the varying Yamato theories I've made since his appearance/introduction in chapter 983/984.

Yamato: The Bonds Of Sea And Adventure (Nakama Theory)
    "Yamato also has an obvious reason to fight the Blackbeard Pirates – Ace. Another reason to stand against the Blackbeard Pirates could be developed when further information surrounding the Kaido and Rocks relationship is revealed. Rocks may have betrayed Kaido and if Blackbeard has inherited Rocks will, there is reason for Yamato to stop Blackbeard."

Ah, didn't even think of that. I suppose that could also lend way to Yamato developing some relationship with Marco since Ace was fellow commanders with him and also desires to see Blackbeard taken down for all his malice.

One of anti-Yamato arguments is about the goroawase, especially that the next DF should be Nikyu Nikyu (29). That question was pre-timeskip question, but what do you guys think about the goroawase theory? Should it be realized, or Oda just simply ignores it because it’s post-timeskip now?

P.S. I want to vote Yamato for joining but I can’t lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Hindsight is for if you missed the solution the first time, then later went back and saw the clues before you came to the right result. Be it in a story or a romance or a military blunder.

But if you saw the right answer the first time, and for the right reasons (not just wild random guessing), and you weren't shaken from your belief once you had it, then no hindsight was needed, your present sight at the time was sufficient.

Sure, before Franky actually appeared on camera. But you had to jump onto the hype train in the first place. Same as all the folks that jumped onto Caimie or Hancock or Rebecca or Pedro or whatever.

I can't really weigh in fairly on Paulie/Franky, the story was at Enies Lobby when I caught up back in the day and after bonding with Usopp and post-Flashback it was clearly Franky by that point, I'd never really had time to stop and speculate and think about it and I wasn't reading week to week... though I personally liked Paulie more, Franky was TOO crazy, but I didn't get into those discussions till they were basically over. So I was never in on arguing for him one way or another or develping a strong opinion on the matter, there was too much momentum going through the crazy that is Water 7.

But I was around for Brook, and Jinbe.

And a decade of next crewmate candidates and I've never felt any of them were sending the right signals. Most were just flashes in the pan easy to dismiss, Carrot's been the only one with any real steam, largely because she had no opposition for 4 years and a lot of folks truly believe she's next. And maybe she will be and they'll all be able to say they told me so when this done, and they'll have completely earned that by seeing something I just don't. But I've never been convinced of it with a good argument. And I'm easy to convince when an argument is actually good.

And then Yamato went them all out hard and heavy week 1.

I wasn't fully convinced until a little later, mostly because of the early Namiface, but he was the first character I saw signs in for over a decade and didn't just dismiss basically immediately, regardless of the design.
    But you don't know what the solution or the right answer in a story is until after it's confirmed. There can be hints and solutions that follow whatever the author has set up and foreshadowed but since storytelling doesn't follow a given set of inviolable laws the seemingly right answer might not turn out to be that in the end.
    People were still in favor of Paulie joining even after Franky appeared, even after a good batch of Enies Lobby. And even if I hate the "anything can happen as long as the author wills it" justification that's just how it is, Oda could've just as easily thrown us a double curveball and make Paulie join after all.

It's the same way for Carrot and Yamato nowadays. There are two sides and people in between or on a different side altogether, each with their own arguments and in parts not understanding how people can see it differently, coming to different conclusions. If the imo unlikely scenario happens and Carrot joins, her advocates will claim that the signs were there all along just like you are now claiming that Franky joining was just a matter of "seeing the clues and coming to the right result". But we don't know that until it actually happens. Knowing the conclusion puts evaluating the decision process that led to said conclusion into a completely different light which is exactly what outcome bias is.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil Child 78 View Post
    One of anti-Yamato arguments is about the goroawase, especially that the next DF should be Nikyu Nikyu (29)/
    I believed in it, but in the face of Yamato... it seems that maybe if Oda well and truly intended to have that be the payoff, he wouldn't have revealed it in SBS a decade in advance, and then teased out other characters with it. Or that was his intent once upon a tiem and it was just noticed so early it stopped being fun.

But at the end of the day, whoever joins, somemone will probably make a crack theory for why it works and he'll just go with it.

He notably also stopped doing "the X person" chapter titles because he felt they got too predictable.

P.S. I want to vote Yamato for joining but I can’t lmao
    We used to have competitions on this board and some folks would make new accounts to fake votes. So there's a few secret minimum thresholds for voting in polls based largely on time and post count.

Just keep making posts and stick around as an active member of the community and you'll be able to vote eventually.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Coookie View Post
    Knowing the conclusion puts evaluating the decision process that led to said conclusion into a completely different light which is exactly what outcome bias is.
    "Hindsight-understanding of a situation or event only after it has happened or developed."

It's only hindsight if you waited until the end to make your guess and give your reasons for it.

When you make a theory, you present your reasoning and expected results BEFORE you get the answer, otherwise you're biasing your theory around the result, which is what you're talking about.

If you saw it just fine along the way, and gave a proper reason for it, it's by definition not hindsight. You arrived at the proper answer, with proper reasoning, before being told the end result.

There's a difference between
    "I think that marine in the dog mask will be Luffy's grandfather" which is crazy nonsense
    and
    "I was looking at Romance Dawn and I noticed that Luffy's grandpa has the same body type and mustache as that one marine. What if he's Luffy's grandpa?"
    and
    "Oh well after Enies Lobby, it's obvious he was always Luffy's grandpa, that's why Oda put him in the mask so we wouldn't recognize him!"

One is a crazy guess that would only be right by accident, right but for the wrong reasons. One is looking at evidence and putting together a theory and making a case. And one is actual hindsight where yes, its easy to now see what the pieces were because you have the whole puzzle..

They are different things.

(Of course Oda did completely cover Garp's face so that one was probably impossible to get fairly.)
    Last edited by Robby; October 18th, 2021 at 01:12 AM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information