+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 115 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 LastLast
Results 2,241 to 2,260 of 2281

Thread: Oda's Interviews

Default Re: Oda's Interviews

Quote Originally Posted by Captain M View Post
    Not quite an interview, but a second-hand One Piece anecdote from Greg on Twitter:

https://i.imgur.com/KmGdU85.png
    I think Oda's better with character development than he's often given credit for (a lot of growth is overlooked because it's both subtle and slow burning) but it's definitely a fair call of the editors to say his development could be a whole lot better on the whole.
    I would say it's more that Oda focused on the wrong things in the first chapters.

Most likely, he didn't have the Luffy flashback at the beginning.

just found it at reddit...

pretty interesting compilation list about Oda' statement
    by /u/ultibman5000
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co..._oda_has_made/

As you know, the spelling of Raftel turned out to be Laugh Tale in Stampede 5 months before manga.
    Plus, the talk between Roger and Rayleigh in this week's chapter (968) was already shown in Stampede.
    Maybe some people think they kinda got spoiled by anime...?
    Spoiler:
    Both post-timeskip Lucci without mask and Aokiji appeared in films before manga.
    Manga fans who don’t watch OP films have not realized that Aokiji lost part of his leg yet.
    Spoiler:

I'd like to compile some Oda/editor's comments regarding this topic.

Oda: Fans may be glad if some events are shown in films before manga, but I don’t like that idea.
    Film staffs have convinced me of approving it, saying films are some kind of a festival.

Once a certain character/event shows up in films before manga, my motivation declines so much that I don’t feel like handling that character/event in manga anymore..

source: Film Gold official guidebook “Backstage Pass” (2016)

Oda: I’d rather make post-timeskip Aokiji appear in manga before films. But Suzuki (film staff) disagreed with me.

source: ONE PIECE Newspaper (November 22nd, 2012)

Editor Naito: The meaning and spelling of Laugh Tale have never changed since more than 20 years ago.
    Oda has told all successive OP editors about Laugh Tale. In Stampede, Oda gave us an approval about the spelling being revealed before manga.
    It may mean how he is determined to wrap up the OP story.

source: Oricon (November 14, 2019)
    https://www.oricon.co.jp/news/2148735/full/

Quote Originally Posted by Starrk View Post
    just found it at reddit...

pretty interesting compilation list about Oda' statement
    by /u/ultibman5000
    https://www.reddit.com/r/OnePiece/co..._oda_has_made/
    Thanks for the handy thread, Starrk!

Last edited by sandman; January 20th, 2020 at 07:14 AM.

I like that Laugh Tale was revealed in the movie because it gave us time to wonder why the hell it was called that, so it worked as a setup rather than a spoiler. Still, it sucks that things like that are imposed on Oda even when he is against it.

I don't like this. How is it that he can disagree with those involved with the film, but they still can push him to allow this? Is this him being a team player for the brand?

I would have rather gotten it in story. Funny thing is I still haven't watched Stampede, but i'm not so big on getting spoiled. It comes with the social media era. It's hard to have dope conversations over One Piece if you're the "don't spoil me" type.

I wonder if for 25th or 30th anniversary they will make live action movie instead of the regular animated one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I don't like this. How is it that he can disagree with those involved with the film, but they still can push him to allow this? Is this him being a team player for the brand?

I would have rather gotten it in story. Funny thing is I still haven't watched Stampede, but i'm not so big on getting spoiled. It comes with the social media era. It's hard to have dope conversations over One Piece if you're the "don't spoil me" type.
    Shueisha and Oda have given Toei the animation rights, and thus ultimately have no absolute say regarding the narrative anymore, especially when itīs a new story altogether.
    The only exception was Strong World iirc, in which Oda was actually involved beyond simple character design.
    Maybe i might be mistaken but i remember an interview in which Oda underlines how Luffy and co in the movies are nothing like the protagonists in the actual story (was after movie Z) and should not be taken as such.

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    Shueisha and Oda have given Toei the animation rights, and thus ultimately have no absolute say regarding the narrative anymore, especially when itīs a new story altogether.
    The only exception was Strong World iirc, in which Oda was actually involved beyond simple character design.
    Maybe i might be mistaken but i remember an interview in which Oda underlines how Luffy and co in the movies are nothing like the protagonists in the actual story (was after movie Z) and should not be taken as such.
    I know how the licensing part works. The issue is that Oda lets them in on manga details. If he feels that they shouldn't use what he told them, that's beyond the licensing agreement. Laugh Tale isn't something they created. That's something Oda was going to give to us in his own way

I know how the licensing part works. The issue is that Oda lets them in on manga details. If he feels that they shouldn't use what he told them, that's beyond the licensing agreement. Laugh Tale isn't something they created. That's something Oda was going to give to us in his own way
    Key people know about these details though, including Laugh Tale, so that you can keep a certain consistent line throughout the story, even in adaptations.
    And once they know, you canīt forbid them to use anything.
    And regarding character designs, in the end Oda was also the one to come up with the post-TS designs and revealed them to the filmmakers, he could have chosen a different character design (there is nothing preventing that to be honest, considering how often the STrawhats change their outfits in these movies), after that itīs their choice to both include Kuzan in the story and use said design.

I think it is less him letting them know and more he being forced to do it to avoid inconsistencies once the movies teams set their mind on showing something. Like they decided they would show Lucci and Kuzan post-timeskip even if he didn't want to, so to avoid messing things up he had to reveal what they should look like after the timeskip.

As far as "Laugh Tale" goes, we can't tell based on sandman's post. Maybe that case in particular was something he actually went for willingly since I doubt the movie director would refuse to NOT show the island's name romanization if Oda asked it (unlike hyping people with popular characters, showing that name is not something relevant for the movie).
    Last edited by .access timeco.; January 20th, 2020 at 10:21 AM.

Key people know about these details though, including Laugh Tale, so that you can keep a certain consistent line throughout the story, even in adaptations.
    And once they know, you canīt forbid them to use anything.
    And regarding character designs, in the end Oda was also the one to come up with the post-TS designs and revealed them to the filmmakers, he could have chosen a different character design (there is nothing preventing that to be honest, considering how often the STrawhats change their outfits in these movies), after that itīs their choice to both include Kuzan in the story and use said design.
    Agreed on the consistency part. It is to benefit the source material in the end. As a creative, certain things you just have little control over

Quote Originally Posted by .access timeco. View Post
    I think it is less him letting them know and more he being forced to do it to avoid inconsistencies once the movies teams set their mind on showing something. Like they decided they would show Lucci and Kuzan post-timeskip even if he didn't want to, so to avoid messing things up he had to reveal what they should look like after the timeskip.

As far as "Laugh Tale" goes, we can't tell based on sandman's post. Maybe that case in particular was something he actually went for willingly since I doubt the movie director would refuse to show the island's name romanization if Oda refused it (unlike hyping people with popular character, showing that name is not something relevant for the movie).
    Yeah, he was on board for the Laugh Tale part. I read that part incorrectly

I wonder why Oda bothers to divulge critical story secrets to anime group.Editors are different.......
    “When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Btw sandman wrote Lucci was revealed in stampede first but the reverie chapters were prior to zhe movie release i think

Btw sandman wrote Lucci was revealed in stampede first but the reverie chapters were prior to zhe movie release i think
    Lucci was in movie gold.

Quote Originally Posted by uniaka ikuzakas View Post
    Lucci was in movie gold.
    Oh ok thanks. Didnīt watch any movie since Z

Maybe i might be mistaken but i remember an interview in which Oda underlines how Luffy and co in the movies are nothing like the protagonists in the actual story
    Does Japan has a US copyright type of law or a european author's right kind ?
    Because that changes everything for such things

So Author's right it is, which means Oda has the moral rights on his work. So it's his decision and not Toei one
    Last edited by Kdom; January 20th, 2020 at 02:42 PM.

This is the opposite of what he said. He said that he agreed with the anime because if he didn't, Luffy wouldn't be Luffy and then it wouldn't be One Piece.
    #Vergoshotfirst #Doflaisapunk

Quote Originally Posted by ea77 View Post
    This is the opposite of what he said. He said that he agreed with the anime because if he didn't, Luffy wouldn't be Luffy and then it wouldn't be One Piece.
    Hmm, i could swear he said something along the lines of not projecting the behavior of the strawhats in the movies onto the manga, since they are different.
    Do you have a link to the Interview?

Hmm, i could swear he said something along the lines of not projecting the behavior of the strawhats in the movies onto the manga, since they are different.
    Do you have a link to the Interview?
    https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_21

>For the OP anime, there are 7 directors including Uda-san that take turns making episodes because you can't make a 30-minute episode in just one week. Every episode's director is listed at the end of the ending credits. And the person who organizes all of their work is, you guessed it, THE UDA KONOSUKE (whistle!).

4. If his opinions and mine do not meet, Luffy instantly ceases to be Luffy and the world becomes entirely different. Even if I create the most heart-wrenching moment in the manga, if the anime's "directing" is wrong, it becomes a forgettable scene. But the reason that doesn't happen, and in fact, becomes even more memorable in the anime, is thanks to Uda-san and his crew of Director-Fighters, for understanding the world of OP so well and their directing skills.
    #Vergoshotfirst #Doflaisapunk

Quote Originally Posted by ea77 View Post
    https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_21

>For the OP anime, there are 7 directors including Uda-san that take turns making episodes because you can't make a 30-minute episode in just one week. Every episode's director is listed at the end of the ending credits. And the person who organizes all of their work is, you guessed it, THE UDA KONOSUKE (whistle!).

4. If his opinions and mine do not meet, Luffy instantly ceases to be Luffy and the world becomes entirely different. Even if I create the most heart-wrenching moment in the manga, if the anime's "directing" is wrong, it becomes a forgettable scene. But the reason that doesn't happen, and in fact, becomes even more memorable in the anime, is thanks to Uda-san and his crew of Director-Fighters, for understanding the world of OP so well and their directing skills.
    This is from the SBS years before movie z

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information