View Poll Results: Would you enjoy an arc without Straw Hats?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I would

112 53.08%
  • No, I would not

99 46.92%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Straw Hats-Less Arc.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

Default Straw Hats-Less Arc.

So, in some recent discussion the idea came up of a arc without Straw Hats. I'm actually curious if people would be interested in the idea, and why. Or why not.

So, Arlong Park, a question to you: Would you guys enjoy arc without Straw Hats, and instead focused on one of the other groups, and side characters, be it Marines, like Coby, Smoker, and Admirals, Supernovas, like Eustass Kid, or our brand new Yonkou, Marshall D. Teach "Blackbeard"? Please, include your reasoning in the posts below; I'm interested in why people think this option is vailable. Or not.

Default Re: Straw Hats-Less Arc.

Sorry but not really. I can always go a few chapters zig zagging the events of the world but an entire arc?

Quote Originally Posted by Light Bro View Post
    Sorry but not really. I can always go a few chapters zig zagging the events of the world but an entire arc?
    See, but what I'm really interested in is: why? I'm not stomping on your right to have a opinion, I just seek to understand why do you have it.

Depends on how long the arc is.
    If it's 10 chapters or more, no thanks. The Straw Hats (and mostly Luffy) are the central focus of the story. When you lose that, it's not as engaging.

Yes, and immensely. SH will be there till the very end, and they will obviously take the crown for being main characters.
    An arc without them could be really interesting because of fresh and exciting side characters who are not limited by SH morals, patterns and plot armor.
    There are 48 years of arcs centered around SH already. One without them (and without Luffy, co MF doesn't count) won't hurt (and the longer it is, the better).

actually that would be kind of cool, I'd really love to see a meeting with the big's of the new world, with some long standing repercussions.... still I'm not sure how long something has to be to be an arc, a few chapters of the bigs of the world talking might be cool, but I can't imagine an arc

I'd need to know some facts first:

who would be the central characters be, what would be the motivation from a storyline standpoint be, what are they trying to get across, how long does it last etc etc

it's been said a million times before, anything can be done well, even crazy unorthodox ideas that sound stupid at first (like superior spiderman), as long as the writing team is capable, in this case the writing team is oda who I have faith in....

but it's kind of the exact opposite of what one piece is, a huge thing you notice if you reread one piece is how much the character's really run into the plot, and start to change the entire world (little by little), but without even trying to, it's a little crew (the straw hats) who go to island to island looking for fun and adventure and some how get sucked into the events that are transpiring on the island. the only reason they went out of there way to stop crocodile and risk their life doing so was because through a series of unpredictable events (to them) they became good friends with vivi, vivi good, crocodile mean to vivi, crocodile bad, must be stoped

bad guys cp9 frame us for murder.... okay we could go to next island... but they took our nakama

they don't mean to unbalance the system of the shichibukai by beating them, or to severly hurt the name of the world government by destroying eneis lobby, even the events that are unfolding now they either fell into them, or went along with laws plan, just cause Luffy likes the idea of an alliance

there's a reason the most time we get away from the straw hats are a few chapters after some big event they just took place in to show us the consequences to their actions, so although Oda could do it, I find it highly unlikely

EDIT: my writing might not be to great right now,I apoligize if that's the case, kind of tired

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

I would like a brief but impacting arc about the marines and/or revolutionaries for a change of pace and scenery.

Living without Robin would be tough though. I only ever had to marathon Amazon Lily, Impel Down and Marineford so I never had to endure those arcs on a weekly basis.

Yes, i would
    Straw hats are boring and an arc without them focused about the kid's alliance (for instance) would greatly please me.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth View Post
    See, but what I'm really interested in is: why? I'm not stomping on your right to have a opinion, I just seek to understand why do you have it.
    I just don't think it would work. We can learn enough of the antagonists and allies in their respective arcs. Giving them their own arcs and seeing them "off-the-clock" too much would make them too likable and relateable. Oda simply doesn't work that way. He gives them focus when it's needed for the plot.

But like I said I do love those moments when Oda shows what's going on around the world and what the different parties are doing. It's just that giving it more than a few chapters would probably make things boring pretty soon.

If it's the cover stories then yes. If not then no. We already had Impel Down and Marineford, and it's not like half the crew are getting major action these days anyways. However I would not be averse to an arc that removes Luffy, Zoro and Sanji from the front lines and has the rest of the crew get to do a bit more.
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

We already have the cover stories...

The idea is interesting, sure, and I do always love it when Oda shows us what's happening around the world. But at the same time, Oda showing us what's happening around the world is so interesting because he doesn't show us much. Makes it extra special.

The other sorta fact is that Oda has too many characters to juggle. Giving us an arc of Kidd, what, messing with Big Mom or Kaidou, would be wasteful. Could be done in one chapter. I'd rather have the Straw Hats arrive at the scene of the crime, being all like "Hey, there's Kidd!"

It's been Luffy's story from the start. It's been established as that type of story, just as Harry Potter is Harry story. We're too far into One Piece for me to think expect anything else.

Impel Down and Marineford are the closest you'll get to that.

Or just start over from romance dawn if you have the nads.

"The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terror"

Same as Warp Predator.

If Kid's alliance is targeting the Tea Party I'd like to have at least five chapters dedicated to solely them wrecking house.
    Oh and if there's ever a Marine coup I'd happily follow that for ten or so chapter's but not too long.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

I probably could, but I would miss the Strawhats. And that's more or less the actual point of this thread, right? Are you getting tired of following the Strawhats?

And to that my answer is no. The story could always use more screen time with the crew. A lot of the enjoyment in the series for me is going along the adventure with the Straw Hats and watching them interact and react to the people and events around them. It's also fun to watch a Strawhat have a big moment or watching their characters take a step in growth and progression throughout their journey when those moments arrive. Actually, just watching the crew hang out with each other can be pretty entertaining by itself. They're a fun group of people, and it's entertaining to me watching them on their journey.

Now, if the question was geared more towards seeing other characters, I wanna point out that we do, and quite often. Each arc introduces a new town with characters that we get to learn about and follow. Right now we're learning about Law's past with the Doflamingo family. We learned about the turmoil the Royal Family of Dressrosa went through the past 10 years since Doflamingo took over. Two major allies, Cavendish and Bartolomeo, have been given solid introductions and have been more or less part of most of the major events in the story. We even saw Bellamy again, witnessed his confliction with hurting Luffy after the two reached an understanding, and saw how Doflamingo betrayed him. And that's just Dressrosa.

As to seeing events or stories the Strawhats aren't involved in, the topic' already covered cover stories and the Marineford arc, so there's that. I won't deny the idea isn't intriguing to me. I can understand the various reasons why people would want to see different characters in the story, and that could be exciting, but I would be just as satisfied with chapters solely dedicated to the crew just sailing on the Sunny going about their normal day too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what heís lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

No... At least not without Sanji... I suffered enough

Quote Originally Posted by dwo View Post
    We already have the cover stories...
    But it is so limited.

I would like especially tto see the kidd alliance fighting against X emperor. Or another focus.

When future Straw Hat Jinbe has to be relegated to cover stories, you know the chances of a Straw Hat-less arc are almost nil.

And really, it makes sense. You won't see major players like the Emperors being taken down while the major focus of the story are nowhere involved.

Also, you can't just throw in an arc focusing in other characters and expect us to be invested enough in order to care. If it's to develop the characters, then you can do that when the Straw Hats are interacting with said character. Kid is practically unknown to us, so it's unlikely he gets his own arc unless he interacts with the Straw Hats first, but then that would be probably too late.

And really, the Straw Hats work because of their dynamics, as they're all quirky and different to some degree, and we love them because of that. Put somebody like Kid and Smoker in their place and suddenly you lose most of the humor potential, which is something Oda really values in his work, but people tend to undermine.
    Last edited by King Cannon; October 5th, 2014 at 05:41 AM.

No,
    i barely survived Amazon Lilly, Impel Down and Marinford (Luffy is not enough)
    SH are the main characters and they should always be main focus of attention.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information