Closed Thread
Page 389 of 505 FirstFirst ... 289 339 379 387 388 389 390 391 399 439 489 ... LastLast
Results 7,761 to 7,780 of 10084

Thread: My Hero Academia - Gomu Gomu no Gentle Fist

Default Re: My Hero Academia - Red Diamond is Crash

I'm fine with the flashbacks because the characters themselves can no longer fight at the end. Thinking about it, every member of Class A so far had a their flashback during a battle. Going by previous arcs, when the flashbacks end its full steam ahead on the action train.

NNID: jervinnectar

I liked this week's episode a lot, but two things caught my eye:
    First, the official subs have Deku saying Full Cowling despite the seiyu very clearly saying Full Cowl. The Viz translation goes with Full Cowl too I think so why change it?

Also, I had been under the impression that these events happened sometime during the day or late afternoon, not during the evening. I don't recall the sky being darkened at all in the manga unlike in the summer camp arc.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    I liked this week's episode a lot, but two things caught my eye:
    First, the official subs have Deku saying Full Cowling despite the seiyu very clearly saying Full Cowl. The Viz translation goes with Full Cowl too I think so why change it?
    In the manga we actually changed to Full Cowling at a later point, to better reflect the actual reference in English (which is to vehicle engine cowling- not a "cowl" like Batman's).
    Reprints of old volumes and all future volumes going forward should definitely have it as Cowling (which explains why the subs have it that way, since they're at least referencing my style guide, if not sticking to it 100%).

Hm, not sure I agree with diverging from the Engrish but at least it's consistent. It's something of a tribute to Gran Torino's Jet too, but I'm sure that played a part in your decision.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by CCC View Post
    In the manga we actually changed to Full Cowling at a later point, to better reflect the actual reference in English (which is to vehicle engine cowling- not a "cowl" like Batman's).
    Reprints of old volumes and all future volumes going forward should definitely have it as Cowling (which explains why the subs have it that way, since they're at least referencing my style guide, if not sticking to it 100%).
    Is it not both? I always thought the cowl thing referenced the way he was 'suiting up' with his power by activating it across his whole body.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Is it not both? I always thought the cowl thing referenced the way he was 'suiting up' with his power by activating it across his whole body.
    I thought that as well.
    http://w11.zetaboards.com/OnePieceNewWorld/index/

Quote Originally Posted by The Laughing Man View Post
    Let's just be honest here: The Watchmen movie was a complete and utter, extremely boring, blue man penis filled abomination.
    And I don't even feel this way, it's just a hilarious quote.

Yeah, that's how I'd always interpreted it too.

I, uh, potentially have opinions as well but publicly expressing them when it comes to editorial decisions above my head is frowned upon. Hence stating just the facts, ma'am.
    Last edited by CCC; July 15th, 2017 at 05:04 PM.

Interesting. I wouldn't have thought cowling as in an engine. But it makes more sense because Deku rarely wears his hood anyways.

This episode also added in little bits of filler here and there. I don't really dislike it but I wonder why they are doing that. Mostly it's just been more inbetween dialogue with the pros and students.

Also why is it night time?
    Last edited by Cyclone_Baroness; July 15th, 2017 at 04:45 PM.

Oh, I don't think anyone knew about this cowling/cowl stuff. Cowl made sense to me because a cowl can cover your whole body and I assumed everybody interpreted it that way. I wonder if someone can just ask Horikoshi.

Anyone know where I can watch the OVAs?

Full Cowling as in engine cover is correct. "Full Cowl" is a common term used in motorcycle lingo in Japan.
    Since it's an actual existing word that's common, it's most certainly what Horikoshi had in mind.

It's incredibly unlikely he came up with the words on his own, when those exact words are already a common use in Japanese.
    It IS however likely that he intended for puns with cowl - I mean, you don't think Luffy's "Gear Second" literally means he shifts his internal gear into second shift, right?

I don't remember this arc taking place in the Night time but I love it. The atmosphere of the whole thing becomes menacing once you realize that Deku and crew will be taking on a serial killer under the cover of darkness. Really loved the direction during Ida's confrontation with Stain. It felt realistic in a way.
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

We never found out who the traitor was did we? Or if there was even a traitor at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk

Let's just be honest here: The Watchmen movie was a complete and utter, extremely boring, blue man penis filled abomination.

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
    We never found out who the traitor was did we? Or if there was even a traitor at all

Less "we never found out" and more "we haven't found out yet".

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    Less "we never found out" and more "we haven't found out yet".
    Right right, thats what i mean. Also on that topic, whats the deal with invisible girl? She doesnt have the ability to turn visible right?

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Apprentice View Post
    Right right, thats what i mean. Also on that topic, whats the deal with invisible girl? She doesnt have the ability to turn visible right?

She can, I think, refract light. It lets her flash people in every sense of the word

Waldorf:
    You know Statler, after watching the last seven hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    She can, I think, refract light. It lets her flash people in every sense of the word
    Lol. Ok then

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    Full Cowling as in engine cover is correct. "Full Cowl" is a common term used in motorcycle lingo in Japan.
    Etymology is a funny thing. (Using your post as an anchor, Aohige, nothing more). I'm pretty sure the word 'cowling' or 'cowlings' for vehicles has it's origin and root in the word 'cowl'; a cowl being a hooded cover (protective or otherwise). The cowl is a part of the hood of the engine; cowl/hood. It covers the engine, the head of a vehicle. They're the same words and mean the same thing, but could focus on different subjects; clothing and a protective cover, respectively. As Aohige is informing us there's also the colloquial term within Japan itself, something we lose in translation I think, but not really jarring for us.

Right. A wayyyy looser translation (too loose for most publishers; Viz is especially faithful to exact language, which isn't a bad thing) could be something like "V8 Boost" or "Nitro Infusion," keeping the vehicle theme + all-over powerup deal, but with less niche terms.
    ...Yeah. Probably for the best I'm not allowed to go nuts like that.
    Last edited by CCC; July 17th, 2017 at 04:15 PM.

Closed Thread

Thread Information