+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Talk About Mental Health Issues and Be Nice About It

Default Talk About Mental Health Issues and Be Nice About It

Since there was one about LGBT, I felt like this would be helpful as well, as a lot of people with mental illness get stigmatized. I recently got diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder, and I was wondering if anyone else has that here, and if so how do you cope with it?

Also, I be learning a skill set called DBT (Dialectical behavior therapy) soon to combat the illness. As for my other mental health diagnoses, I have PTSD from childhood trauma, severe depression, and social phobia. Anyways, I hope this can be a safe place to talk about this specific topic.

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - Unknown; Character - Unknown; Series - Unknown

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Default Re: Talk About Mental Health Issues and Be Nice About It

I suffer from anxiety, depression, bi-polar, aspergers, PTSD, which, grouped with my ADHD, has made life very difficult for me to cope with. I, too, have dealt with the stigma of my conditions which have gotten me barked at by teachers, my parents, and my peers alike.

It's not fun. At all.

Wrong thread?

Regardless, as someone basically belonging to both the T and the G part of LGBT, I have to disagree. The fights for sexual, romantic and gender freedom are deeply intertwined, easily exemplified with the Stonewall riots for one. It's true that sexuality and gender identity are two separate concepts with their own set of hardships and issues, but both suffer from the same, hetero- and cisnormative worldview some people still rigidly adhere to. Dividing these groups serves only the opposition...
    Now that I say it, I suspect this post was another jab from that direction. And even if it isn't, whenever this argument comes up, I can never see what is to be gained by this separation. Would the lives of LGB people improve? Would people under the T umbrella be better off?

Quote Originally Posted by Nolus View Post
    Wrong thread?

Regardless, as someone basically belonging to both the T and the G part of LGBT, I have to disagree. The fights for sexual, romantic and gender freedom are deeply intertwined, easily exemplified with the Stonewall riots for one. It's true that sexuality and gender identity are two separate concepts with their own set of hardships and issues, but both suffer from the same, hetero- and cisnormative worldview some people still rigidly adhere to. Dividing these groups serves only the opposition...
    Now that I say it, I suspect this post was another jab from that direction. And even if it isn't, whenever this argument comes up, I can never see what is to be gained by this separation. Would the lives of LGB people improve? Would people under the T umbrella be better off?
    I think that user is a spambot. I looked through their post history and found this: http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread...72#post3980972
    I accept Jesus Burgess as my Lord and Savior

Quote Originally Posted by Medical Orbit View Post
    I think that user is a spambot. I looked through their post history and found this: http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread...72#post3980972
    I won't say I'm surprised. Oh, well~

Here we are, Windy summer! Oddball's Avatar

It's been mentioned here before, I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at age four. When I was little, I had the classic symptoms (having narrow interests, walking on tip-toes, rocking, crying easily, etc). I grew out of most of my symptoms and now some of my current problems are losing my train of thought easily, being anxious, not seeing things in front of me, picking holes and threads in my clothing and sometimes being vague in my speech.

Normally I don't tell people about my autism because there were people in my life who knew about my disorder and took full advantage of it. For example, a couple of close people have told others about my autism in order to discredit me in situations. I'm sorry I have to be vague about who did that to protect their identity.

Because of those ordeals, I don't feel comfortable telling even close friends about it. It's part of what gave me trust issues. Yes, there have been people who use autism as a crutch for bad behaviors (ex. Chris-chan and other lolcows) and it's unacceptable. I don't like receiving unwarranted special treatment, I just want to be treated like everyone else. I'm socially awkward at times, but I learn from my mistakes fairly quickly.
    Credit to PendulumPisces for avatar.
    MFC | MAL

I know this a bit late, but wanted to respond. (Need to check this forum more often >-<)

Quote Originally Posted by Oddball View Post
    It's been mentioned here before, I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder at age four. When I was little, I had the classic symptoms (having narrow interests, walking on tip-toes, rocking, crying easily, etc). I grew out of most of my symptoms and now some of my current problems are losing my train of thought easily, being anxious, not seeing things in front of me, picking holes and threads in my clothing and sometimes being vague in my speech.
    Yeah, that sounds rough >-<

Normally I don't tell people about my autism because there were people in my life who knew about my disorder and took full advantage of it. For example, a couple of close people have told others about my autism in order to discredit me in situations. I'm sorry I have to be vague about who did that to protect their identity.
    I hate that. That was not very nice of them at all.

Because of those ordeals, I don't feel comfortable telling even close friends about it. It's part of what gave me trust issues. Yes, there have been people who use autism as a crutch for bad behaviors (ex. Chris-chan and other lolcows) and it's unacceptable. I don't like receiving unwarranted special treatment, I just want to be treated like everyone else. I'm socially awkward at times, but I learn from my mistakes fairly quickly.
    Yeah, I want to be treated the same as anyone else too. Though at the same time I struggle with the idea that I'm broken and that I never function in society with my issues. I have trust issues too with people but for very different reasons. (Abusive family, etc.)

Signature:
    Artist - ほし; Character - Red Riding Hood; Original Artwork
    Avatar: Artist - Unknown; Character - Unknown; Series - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information