+ Reply to Thread
Page 349 of 853 FirstFirst ... 249 299 339 347 348 349 350 351 359 399 449 849 ... LastLast
Results 6,961 to 6,980 of 17057

Thread: Random News Article Discussion II

Default Re: Random News Article Discussion II

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    i am not good with any of this stuff at ALL. But thanks for putting that down for me. That gives me some understanding. That really really sucks. :\
    Imagine if Canada was run by a Quebecois dictatorship that oppressed Anglo-Canadians.
    Now imagine that one day Canadians rose up against the dictatorship!
    But that the dictatorship managed to make French Canadians fear Anglo Canadians, and attacked mostly Anglos to boot.
    And so the French Canadians took the side of the dictatorship.

That's the basics of how it started.

lol. i got the jist of what you said above. just a lot to take in, as you stated. Great analogy though.

Queen Elizabeth II has surpassed Queen Victoria as the longest reigning British monarch.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34177107

"Meh," says Rama IX of Thailand.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Queens rule.

Although now that she's broken Vicky's record she should step down and give Charles the crown. The poor bastard has waited long enough.

At a certain age monarchs start to subsist on the spite of their heirs. Don't know how many times I've had that frustration in CKII.

The dude has two sons and one of them now has two children which has safely cemented the succession.

The only thing she can use as an excuse I think is that the public really doesn't want to hear the words "Queen Camilla."

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

That's a really good reason. The Royals are huge tourist attraction and the queen's long life and reign is part of that attraction. She's an icon, living history. You can put her name on silverware and dinner plates.

Can't do that with Camilla.

Probably won't be able to get away with something even close until Kate has the crown.

but ofc, congratz, long may she reign.

They might get around it by not giving her the title, calling her the "Royal Consort" or something, although that in itself is a bit of a douche move. Kinda like how the Queen's husband isn't called the King but is called the Prince Royal (the weirdness of royal titles).

William, on the other hand, is DIANA'S son. While poor Charles has been waiting forever to get the crown, the public would shit their pants to see Will and Kate be crowned instead.

I read an article some time back about how when the queen does eventually die, due to things closing down (for at least two weeks) and various ceremonies and etc. etc. its going to cost the British economy billions and destroy the stock market. As the woman is 88, it may not be for another 10+ years yet, but it will come eventually of course.

EDIT: Found it.
    http://www.businessinsider.com/what-...15-3?r=UK&IR=T

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    William, on the other hand, is DIANA'S son. While poor Charles has been waiting forever to get the crown, the public would shit their pants to see Will and Kate be crowned instead.
    That would apparently cause a constitutional crisis, and as such, there is no way it happens. They've already discussed and agreed on how that works.

Also when the time comes, he can officially change his name if he wants. As Charles Philip Arthur George, he could also be "King Philip," "King Arthur," or "King George."
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki
    Although now that she's broken Vicky's record she should step down and give Charles the crown. The poor bastard has waited long enough.
    Could be worse; Sophie of Hanover was made first in line to Queen Anne in 1701 and died in 1714 at the age of eighty-three. Anne promptly dropped dead a month later.

Anyway, the Queen Mother lived to be 101 so Charles might be in for a wait yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Don't know how many times I've had that frustration in CKII.
    The worst is when you're a Merchant Republic and your relatively young Strong, Genius Dog with the Family Focus and pet dog health bonuses randomly drops dead and some random Patrician with terrible stats strolls in and lives be to ninety.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=33625236

Words cannot express my feelings right now…

I mean, did I think she deserve to be jailed? Not really, just unnecessary. Fired? Of course. But not jailed.

Shit like this though….pisses me off beyond all reason. It's a bunch of retards dancing around a maypole of bullshit.

http://www.thelocal.se/20150909/refu...en-via-denmark

This is the kind of thing i'll think we'll be seeing more and more of. Like even when the EU opens up and assignes each of every nation to take an agreed quota of refugees, odds are that they'll still want to leave for the "promised land" of Germany, UK or Sweden they aimed for.

And i mean you can't really detain them and lock them up where they refuse to stay either.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreato
    I mean, did I think she deserve to be jailed? Not really
    She absolutely deserved to be jailed.
    Fired? Of course.
    She can't be fired. She's an elected official. Getting rid of her would not be an easy task. She also refuses to resign. There was no other option.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    Remember all those Arab uprisings in 2011 against dictators?
    Well the Syrian regime turned out to be the most vicious of all and like the one in Libya began to basically wage war on protestors.
    So the protestors began to morph into rebel fighters when this happened and it turned into an armed rebellion.
    The Syrian regime was more than happy to fight back in all out warfare.

Now in Libya this didn't work out too well long term as I don't think their dictator ever had as much real support as he thought, and the military seemed on half step half the time. With lower morale, and LOTS of defections.
    But in Syria there is a HUGE difference. Ethnicity/Religion.

Basically there are several different demographic groups that make up Syria, you can think of it a bit like how Canada has English speaking Canadians and then the people in Quebec with their Frenchness. It is not a homogenous society at all.
    The Syrian regime is run by and supported by a religious minority group called the Alawite Muslims, while the majority of Syrians are Sunni Muslim Arabs.
    In the middle of these two groups are others. There are Christian Arabs, Druze people, and another non-Arab group called the Kurds. Even this is a simplification, you can see how complicated this is, if your head is hurting then it kind of SHOULD be!

So because of this situation the war in Syria eventually has taken on a sectarian quality, which means it has become a war of one group of people against the other. The regime has basically allowed this to happened and is totally complicit in turning it into one in order to maintain power. They have targeted Sunni Arabs heavily, while trying to frighten the rest into fearing the Sunni Arabs.
    So now the Sunni Arabs have been experiencing near genocidal attacks and focus from the regime, while the minority groups I mentioned (aside from the Kurds) are terrified of being genocided if the Sunni Arabs win the war in any capacity. Basically all societal trust has been 99% destroyed and everyone is so afraid of the rest and angry at them that genocide is lurking around every corner.
    MAKING MATTERS WORSE, the violence having gone on so long and being so horrible has lead to extreme factions rising in influence among the Sunni Arabs. Some of them are plain Islamists, but others are barbaric vicious Islamists. Like ISIS you've heard of no doubt.
    Basically preying on the trauma and terror of the country to gain power and influence and take over stuff when possible.
    But the regime is nearly as barbaric as ISIS, and has been massacring civilians since the very start in clearly purposeful ways. Unlike ISIS they don't broadcast this fact all over the internet and news.

If you care, the foreign factor has been in supporting sides since it started, not in starting it.
    The regime's support group, the Alawite Muslims are basically a group of Shia Muslims. Therefore they are allies with Iran, the Shia power country. (you don't need to know the difference between these Muslim groups, just think of it like Catholic vs Protestant or something similar). Russia has long been allies with Syria since the Cold War, so they maintain those ties.
    The oil monarchs of south Arabia (like Saudi Arabia) have been supporting extremist groups among the rebels (though not so much ISIS) against the regime. As the oil monarchies are Sunni Muslims.
    EU Europe and North America, have taken a weak but firm stance against the regime. But have increasingly not really had a solid side to support. We just know Assad sucks and so does ISIS.

In all of this is the Kurds, a group of people in the middle east who desire their own country but have never had it in modern times. They are split up by borders. Living in Turkey, Syria, Iraq and Iran right where all four come together. The violence in Syria has finally allowed the Kurds there to take control of their fates and they've been establishing their own government in their areas of the country. They've also been fighting against ISIS heavily, and a bit against the regime here and there.
    If there are GOOD GUYS in this conflict it's them.
    Just wanna note that its interesting how the minority has the stranglehold in power, especially when you see it in other countries such as sri lanka. I know its largely due to colonial shifting of power, but it always seem to end up in a bad way (e.g. large-scale conflict). Are there other examples where it all ends up well?

Quote Originally Posted by legumes View Post
    Just wanna note that its interesting how the minority has the stranglehold in power, especially when you see it in other countries such as sri lanka. I know its largely due to colonial shifting of power, but it always seem to end up in a bad way (e.g. large-scale conflict). Are there other examples where it all ends up well?
    The Syrian minority took power some time after independence but your instincts are correct to think colonialism was involved on some level.
    When the French were in control there their local security forces filled up with minority groups, namely Alawites. And eventually after power an Alawite military man came to power, Assad's dad.
    And yeah, it ends bad...everywhere.
    The ethnic tension in Cyprus definitely got played up by the Brits in the 50's.
    It played a role in the genocides and wars in Burundi and Rwanda.
    And the Northern Irish troubles can even be described in some of that way. The Brits settled unruly but Protestant Scotsmen in Ulster to pacify and settle the land, and oppose the native Catholic Irish.

And yeah, Sri Lanka too.

I can't imagine how it would ever end up well, even if kept peaceful it would still be considered a social problem to be worked on.

Personally I refused to judge the moral of the clerk decision. I also refused to judge her faith since it is a personal thing and for many an integrate part of their values. However it was necessary for the law to be followed so if jailing her was both legal and necessary, so be it. Sometimes situation requires extreme measure. I'm still surprise the supreme court haven't judge that kind of situation yet in such a faith-related country.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    I'm still surprise the supreme court haven't judge that kind of situation yet in such a faith-related country.
    They *have*. The law of the land is "gay marriage is legal".

And that clerk was breaking and obstructing the law.

It'd be like if a clerk refused to give out a fishing license because they'd gone vegan. I can only imagine the uproar that would be had if someone refused to give out a gun license for personal reasons.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Thegreato View Post
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=33625236

Words cannot express my feelings right now…

I mean, did I think she deserve to be jailed? Not really, just unnecessary. Fired? Of course. But not jailed.

Shit like this though….pisses me off beyond all reason. It's a bunch of retards dancing around a maypole of bullshit.
    she's only being jailed for contempt of court and not for any religious reason. Being in Contempt of Court means you aren't respecting the authority of the judge or court, and hell yes they can jail you for it. You can be found in Contempt even if you're completely innocent of any actual crime. There's people who are witnesses to violent crimes who have been found in contempt and jailed for years because they refused to give testimony (sometimes out of fear of retaliation).

Like one judge said "she holds the key to her own cage". Though she's out now apparently anyway so it's irrelevant, but it's not a luxury a lot of people still being jailed will ever get.

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Personally I refused to judge the moral of the clerk decision. I also refused to judge her faith since it is a personal thing and for many an integrate part of their values. However it was necessary for the law to be followed so if jailing her was both legal and necessary, so be it. Sometimes situation requires extreme measure. I'm still surprise the supreme court haven't judge that kind of situation yet in such a faith-related country.
    The situation is crystal clear.
    She is not allowed to deny gay marriage licenses in her office.
    We are not a theocracy, we have never been a theocracy, and unless you're from New England like me you are not even in a portion that at one point was a theocracy.
    Her values are her business, they are not the business of gay couples trying to lawfully get married.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    Like one judge said "she holds the key to her own cage". Though she's out now apparently anyway so it's irrelevant, but it's not a luxury a lot of people still being jailed will ever get.
    And what she's out on apparently is a scenario where she allows the office to do it's job, even if she herself does not sign the paperwork for the gay couples.
    She was dissallowing the entire office to do it's job previously.
    Frankly I'm not even sure she's going to follow that order.

Quote Originally Posted by desa
    I mean, I expected some kind of measure put in place for anyone trying to use freedom of speech or religion in that kind of situation rather than having to wait for congress. Or is jail suppose to be that solution? Freedom of speech or religion seems to used so often in the US that by now I would expect the court to have an official list of situation where it's not a valid defense. Yet somehow it seems people are always debating it.
    Nationwide gay marriage is a fairly new thing, only a few months old, it was bound to get contested a little before the bigots get eventually phased out as being on the wrong side of history, just like interracial marriage. It'll have some hiccups for another few years still, I'm sure... but the religious nuts have *mostly* conceded that they've lost this one, so its going quieter than it used to, even a year ago.

The main thing with freedom of speech/religion is, a lot of people confuse what that is. You have the right to say whatever you want without being censored... that does NOT protect you from the repercussions of you saying something stupid. If your employer decides to fire you for saying something, or a guy wants to punch you out because you offended them, that is not protected by free speech.

Similarly, you are free to follow whatever religion you want, but that does not give you the right to infringe it or its rules on anyone else.

You're free to do and say what makes you happy... as long as its not affecting anyone else. At that point you're butting into their personal rights.

Basically, this is not in any way shape or form a "free speech" issue, and more an "I'm an asshole in a position of authority breaking the law" issue.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information