+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

Default Re: Water 7 Arc- Toonami Talkback

I hope we get to the day that the Funimation dub has aired more epsidoes than 4kids on American Television. Slow and steady we are getting there.

I don't think the 4Kids/FUNimation issue really matters anyway. It's been so long and the differentiation with the dub isn't as big an issue as many fans have made it out to be. Keep in mind that back in the day the 4Kids dub actually did well on Toonami, it's not like it was totally dismissed. That and pretty much the 4Kids dub is largely unavailable, the very opposite of the uncut FUnimation dub which contains more seasons than the 4Kids dub.

11:30PM Space Dandy*0.9 HH, 1.099 million viewers*(tvmediainsights.com)
    12:00AM Bleach*0.8 HH, 1.088 million viewers
    12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden*0.8 HH, 1.024 million viewers
    1:00AM One Piece*0.7 HH, 964,000 viewers
    1:30AM Blue Exorcist*0.7 HH, 955,000 viewers
    2:00AM Soul Eater*0.6 HH, 871,000 viewers
    2:30AM Naruto*0.6 HH, 673,000 viewers*(tvmediainsights.com)
    3:00AM Ghost in the Shell*0.5 HH, 629,000 viewers
    3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood*0.5 HH, 692,000 viewers
    4:00AM Samurai Jack*0.5 HH, 619,000 viewers
    4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix*0.5 HH, 680,000 viewers
    5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars*0.6 HH, 837,000 viewers
    5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan*0.5 HH, 690,000 viewers*(tvme

Not bad at all.

People are not still holding the 4kids dub against the show. Only the fandom even remembers that exists. It's been almost a DECADE.

The show just LOOKS WEIRD, and its bright and crazily colored, and theres no getting around that.

It's not "cool" or "stylish" looking like most of the other stuff on the toonami block, it really doesn't fit in despite also being a shonen. It would feel more comfortable next to Inu Yasha or Adventure Time than it does with Bleach and Naruto. (For all that Naruto is dumb, it tried really hard to convince people it was serious early on.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yeah I'm going to agree with Robby on this one.

I asked one of my friends who watches Toonami why they skip One Piece, and they said they didn't like it because it "didn't seem cool" and the "cartoony look makes [him] want to punch the characters in the face". The biggest reason he enjoys other Toonami shows more (Bleach, Naruto, Soul Eater) is because the fights are much "cooler and badass".

I think it has to do with the feeling of One Piece in general with it being a more adventure-type anime than just a simple battle anime. Sure at first glance when there's a show with fight after fight it might be more exciting and thus draw in viewers, but there's nothing to get engrossed in as the whole thing develops. Thus the likely problem with a lot of Toonami fans is that in order to realize how good Toonami is they must first get over superficial reasons such as cartoony artstyle.

There was even a time when I personally thought One Piece was too weird compared to other anime. After I watched it I realized how amazing it was, and now it's my absolute favorite series, but before that could happen I had to first give up any misconceived notion I had if what One Piece was.

There's also the interesting theory that Toonami viewers simply like things similar to Bleach/Naruto because it "feels more Japanese" than One Piece; what with them being about shinigami, ninjas, and pirates respectively, though this is mere conjecture with no solid proof.
    Last edited by Mickamott; March 18th, 2014 at 12:03 PM.

3DS: 1993-7490-6080 NNID: Mickamott PSN: Mickamott

Who cares if they don't.

Its on TV and its always getting good sales, n views. Not to mention manga sales improving in the US.

We shouldn't worry if OP will be removed in the future? Is Toonami on AS in it for the long run? Will this Toonami go on for more than a decade?

I want One Piece to air both on Toonami and Vortexx. I know it sounds crazy but I do think it can work.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowmint View Post
    We shouldn't worry if OP will be removed in the future? Is Toonami on AS in it for the long run? Will this Toonami go on for more than a decade?
    There's no reason to worry about that scenario. "One Piece" and the Toonami block itself are doing well, and there's no indication at the moment that it will change for the worse.

And hey, maybe Toonami won't be around a decade from now. Hell, with the increasing popularity of online streaming the landscape of cable television might change completely. But it's the shows themselves that matter, not the way they're distributed. As long as "One Piece" is available for the masses in one form or another, that's fine.

TV airing gets casual exposure and a new audience. Net streaming only gets the people already interested. Vast difference there.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    TV airing gets casual exposure and a new audience. Net streaming only gets the people already interested. Vast difference there.
    True, but streaming is starting having a comparable effect on anime, at least as indicated by this VIZ interview:

http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28013.html

Has streaming passed TV in importance?
    I think so. Right now thatís where most of it lives. Cartoon Network took a lot of it off cable television, so everyone switched to streaming for distribution and thatís where everyone found it. As far as a lift in sales I donít think it really matters if itís television or streaming online, we see the same type of lift in manga sales.

Sorry Firecrouch, but I agree with Robby here. Not that you are entirely wrong. Things are going in that direction but its going to take a while to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Oathkeeper View Post
    Sorry Firecrouch, but I agree with Robby here. Not that you are entirely wrong. Things are going in that direction but its going to take a while to get there.
    That's pretty much what I implied in my first post anyway, did you guys miss that?

Can you guys please tell me what episode number this was for One Piece? I DVR the series but my cable box has been acting screwed up lately and I can't really watch this channel. And on that note, can you also tell me what episode number it was for Naruto Shippuden as well?

Quote Originally Posted by cloudrivera View Post
    Can you guys please tell me what episode number this was for One Piece? I DVR the series but my cable box has been acting screwed up lately and I can't really watch this channel. And on that note, can you also tell me what episode number it was for Naruto Shippuden as well?
    One Piece was on episode 246. Not sure about Shippuden.

Latest ratings for Toonami (via mediainsights.com):

11:30PM Space Dandy 0.9 HH, 1.328 million viewers
    12:00AM Bleach 0.9 HH, 1.252 million viewers
    12:30AM Naruto: Shippuden 0.8 HH, 1.270 million viewers
    1:00AM One Piece 0.8 HH, 1.158 million viewers
    1:30AM Blue Exorcist 0.7 HH, 1.103 million viewers
    2:00AM Black Lagoon 0.7 HH, 941,000 viewers
    2:30AM Naruto 0.6 HH, 700,000 viewers
    3:00AM Ghost in the Shell 0.4 HH, 517,000 viewers
    3:30AM Fullmetal: Brotherhood 0.4 HH, 476,000 viewers
    4:00AM Samurai Jack 0.4 HH, 437,000 viewers
    4:30AM IGPX: Immortal Grand Prix 0.4 HH, 433,000 viewers
    5:00AM Star Wars: Clone Wars 0.4 HH, 476,000 viewers
    5:30AM Sym-Bionic Titan 0.3 HH, 355,000 viewers

We are safe!! I just want Funi to start spamming out the movies and ovas.

Aw Yeah!!!

I love Jason De Marco again.

One Piece still so strong.

Did we ever get a conclusive reason why OP was removed from "Network" originally? I can only assume its because a new regime was taking over and didn't want anime anymore instead of "the ratings were bad" reason. If the ratings were bad then why would they be trying again on Adult Swim Toonami?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information