+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Viz to Have One Piece Simultaneous Release in North America/Japan

Duuuude

Default Re: Viz to Have One Piece Simultaneous Release in North America/Japan

Well, I'm subscribing. We'll now have officially (and legally) English-translated/subbed One Piece manga AND anime, released near-simultaneously with Japan. That is...beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by ibrahim2712 View Post
    Are they trying to prevent confusion? I think nobody would mind if they started using Zoro. Everybody knows that's what it really is..
    Most people I've ever talked about One Piece to have called him Zolo...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkz1 View Post
    Most people I've ever talked about One Piece to have called him Zolo...
    *grabs pillow and walks outside*
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!

Most people i talked to call him Zoro... weird

Quote Originally Posted by BatDan View Post
    *grabs pillow and walks outside*
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!
    Yeah. But to be fair, this is due to them only having watched 4kids, or reading my manga volumes.

Who cares...?

Zoro or Zolo, what does that really change? Anything significant at all? Stressing about that is just too OCD.

I just can't stand it, its not the right name.

I find it easier to just straight up ignore the tedious Zolo-Zoro bickering. The story of One Piece is still exactly the same afterall.

I really wish they would change Sprite Zero back to Diet Sprite. I don't care that it tastes the same and doesn't affect the product, I just want to complain about trivial things.

I just can't stand it, its not the right name.
    That's why I said its way too OCD. You can't even think of a significant reason why that should matter. All you can say is that because its not a perfect translation of his name, you can't stand it.

I mean, Viz has a pretty good release of the manga. It has pretty good translation (its not perfect but its pretty good), it has all the tittle pages and extras like the SBS and interviews, its fairly cheap, the quality of print and paper is pretty good for the standards of a Tankobon release... For all intents and purposes, with all these factors considered, the Zolo or Zoro thing shouldn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    I really wish they would change Sprite Zero back to Diet Sprite. I don't care that it tastes the same and doesn't affect the product, I just want to complain about trivial things.
    Ouch. I'll admit you roasted the Zoro-Zolo complainers pretty hard there (which includes me; I much prefer Zoro). It does make it seem quite the non-point!

Alright, so let's convert everything to products here. Product A: Sprite Zero (which should be Diet Sprite). People mostly probably only use the name to identify the product in the store and never have an attachment to the name beyond that--they just care about the taste. The taste is what matters. Product B: Sprite Zolo (which should be Diet Zoro.) The name on this product is changed in second-hand stores and it pisses people off because they're used to the name Zoro; it evokes imagery of heroism from a black-masked swordsman and was the drink that SLASHED through the other beverage competition. The name does matter to them beyond product identification, as well as the taste.

Names can matter, it just depends on the circumstances. People are probably attached to the name Zoro if they've heard it countless times in the anime. Zolo sounds kind of silly to me anyway, and I'm not even a big Zoro fan.

The debate does annoy me as well, though... It's really pollutes threads and is very cut and dry, usually.

To be honest I don't want to have to read Zolo over and over again while I'm reading the manga, that's just annoying.

Your used to the name Zoro and you have to read Zolo this Zolo that. It should annoy everybody..

I don't even care when people spell my name wrong (real life or internet).

To be honest I don't want to have to read Zolo over and over again while I'm reading the manga, that's just annoying.

Your used to the name Zoro and you have to read Zolo this Zolo that. It should annoy everybody..
    How the hell do you read scanlations then? They might get "Zoro" right, but seriously Caribou's Caribbean?

If there's anything to get annoyed about it's the whole "Kami" thing in Skypeia.

The only thing to get really annoyed about is "Roguetown", as that takes away from what the town actually is. And maybe Kami. It's silly. Otherwise, all this pointless discussion is pointless. Zolo will never be changed back in this run. It will most likely be changed for the rerelease in however many years. Teech and Jimbei almost have a chance to be changed.

I used to be in the "It's Zoro not Zolo rawwr" camp, but that was years ago and nothing has changed. Maybe we should bitch louder. That might work.

Maybe it will work haha.

Sometimes I yell a little inside when I see my name spelled as firecrotch

I just got an idea, i'm just going to change the 'L' to an 'R' on the volumes. Then it won't bother me. haha

Pronounce his name the same way a native Japanese speaker would. Might sound the same ether way.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. \_(ツ)_/

Just pretend that Zolo is Zoro's evil twin. I do the same when Ruffy or Nico Lobin appear
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information