+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: General ALPHA Questions & Discussion

Default Re: General ALPHA Questions & Discussion

Just got a subscription and it's definitely worth it, I'll probably adjust my schedule to read new chapters on Mondays.

A question though, is the ToC for SJ alpha similar to the Japanese issue in that the more popular series are earlier in that week's lineup? Based upon the American surveys online?

Thanks in advance.

3DS: 1993-7490-6080 NNID: Mickamott PSN: Mickamott

The survey results don't really have any effect, the order is basically created from scratch every time. They shuffle everything around, but there were a few general trends (i.e. they almost always had DBZ color in the back)

Was listening to a OPP where they had their fanime panel and what I took from it was SJAlpha was free on android and that you can read the latest chapters with ads is this true still?

Quote Originally Posted by Conspirator View Post
    Was listening to a OPP where they had their fanime panel and what I took from it was SJAlpha was free on android and that you can read the latest chapters with ads is this true still?
    On android, you can get a issue for free by installing a advertised app.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    On android, you can get a issue for free by installing a advertised app.

I'm waiting for VIZ to pick up the Digital Color edition of One Piece. I estimate that should take about at least a year or so.
    *GASP* Live Action Cow has Rabbis!

^ Wasn't it already stated before that Viz has no intentions of releasing those?

Just curious - not meaning to complain - but is there some reason that we are no longer getting the 'One Piece will be off next week' notification at the end of the chapter in the issue before its on break anymore?

This may go back to the Japanese issue, and if so I apologize for bringing it up here. You'll have to forgive me because I don't visit the manga section here very much anymore (partly because the first time I read each chapter is through VIZ) to know this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Envy View Post
    Just curious - not meaning to complain - but is there some reason that we are no longer getting the 'One Piece will be off next week' notification at the end of the chapter in the issue before its on break anymore?

This may go back to the Japanese issue, and if so I apologize for bringing it up here. You'll have to forgive me because I don't visit the manga section here very much anymore (partly because the first time I read each chapter is through VIZ) to know this stuff.
    If you mean last week, the editors of Jump forgot to include the message at the end of the magazine.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

Quote Originally Posted by Galaxy 9000 View Post
    If you mean last week, the editors of Jump forgot to include the message at the end of the magazine.
    I see. The reason I brought it up is because the last time One Piece went on a break, there was no notification then, either. That time I was willing to write it off as a mere mistake, but then it happened again, so I had to make sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Envy View Post
    I see. The reason I brought it up is because the last time One Piece went on a break, there was no notification then, either. That time I was willing to write it off as a mere mistake, but then it happened again, so I had to make sure.
    Just checked the end of Chapter 765 (the last break), and yeah, it isn't there. That's pretty weird.

Probably just a mistake though.

One Pace - The One Piece anime without the filler and padding.
    AP Discord

The omission at the end of Chapter 765 was an oversight by Viz, but the omission at the end of Chapter 769 was an oversight by Shueisha. Everybody gets some of the blame!

Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    The omission at the end of Chapter 765 was an oversight by Viz, but the omission at the end of Chapter 769 was an oversight by Shueisha. Everybody gets some of the blame!
    Stephen if you could answer a couple of questions about early one piece viz volumes, that I finaly got them and doing a reread:

They always refer to the gum fruit as "The fruit of the gum gum tree", is this translation convention for "gomu gomu no mi" or something that oda used but abandoned later?

The other question is, in the gaimon chapter nami talks about one town in the red line, I'm guessing it's Marijoa, and that's the only town (or city) in the continent. Is this interpretation correct?
    Last edited by maxterdexter; December 27th, 2014 at 08:43 PM.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    They always refer to the gum fruit as "The fruit of the gum gum tree", is this translation convention for "gomu gomu no mi" or something that oda used but abandoned later?

The other question is, in the gaimon chapter nami talks about one town in the red line, I'm guessing it's Marijoa, and that's the only town (or city) in the continent. Is this interpretation correct?
    1. I think this was an adaptation choice. There's no reference to trees in the Japanese, but they probably did that originally for style/flow reasons and it didn't become apparent until later on how shrouded in mystery the details are.

2. She doesn't say there's only one town, in either Japanese or English. She says there's one certain town (I agree it's Marijoa) and that's the point on the Red Line that the Grand Line intersects.

Cool, thanks for the answers.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I don't know if this is the right place for asking but i have a question for Stephen. So here goes; in Dressrosa we were introduced to the CP-0, claimed to be the strongest unit of all CP agencies,even the CP-9 one. Does this claim contradict anything we learnt about the CP-9 during the Water 7/Ennies Lobby arc? Specifically, in chapter 348, Lucci stated that his group is the most elite fighting force of the Goverment according to the viz translations. Thanks in advance!

Looks like that was an elaboration on the part of the translator for that volume. In the Japanese he only says they're tasked with crucial government missions.

Looks like that was an elaboration on the part of the translator for that volume. In the Japanese he only says they're tasked with crucial government missions.
    Thank you very much!

Today ends my WSJ subscription, as I had to jump through a few hoops to pay for it, and I don't remember how I did it, the app will ask me to pay again next week?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Stephen I have some questions:

1. Why do you still use Shiryu even though Oda has it as Shiliew? I'm guessing for consistency but IMHO I'd rather you fix it then be consistently wrong.
    2. ^ Same thing but with Jinbe instead of your Jimbei.
    3. Do you still use Zolo?
    4. How does the thing work with Shonen Jump again? Do they always approve your translations or do they suggest some fixes too? Also did SJ do the same thing for Dragon Ball and your other works?
    5. Not a question but shout out to your translations, they're pretty much perfect besides name spellings.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information