+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion: THE STORY

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

Default Re: General Discussion: THE STORY

I now see a key difference between the art subforum and writing subforums. In the writing subforums the likelihood of an orgy is very high. totally opposite when me and Sai-chan are in the same place as each other.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by LaCaSiNa View Post
    ba-dum-HNNNGH

Yeah, I would definitely suggest watching it alone. One other thing is for sure, too: I don't think I'll ever be able to see another movie with Fassy in it without thinking of... schlong.
    LaCa, someone should give you an award.

duly noted. note to self: watch Shame last.

Schrödinger's Giraffe Wooden_Giraffe's Avatar

On the other hand, my username would make a great pen name for this transformation.

Mine wouldn't. Sadly.
    Unless...
    Last edited by Dryish; August 1st, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: I would have to actually write, though. That would be a bummer.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

I go to lunch and the story thread becomes an orgy

keep up the good work?

Quote Originally Posted by Herodadotus View Post
    I go to lunch and the story thread becomes an orgy

keep up the good work?
    replace story thread with... "AP forums" and that's pretty much the forums in a nutshell.
    Last edited by piratemarimo; August 1st, 2012 at 02:55 PM. Reason: apparently BFF is to blame for a lot of it

I will certainly be coming here to see this
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    You are a treasure.

Schrödinger's Giraffe Wooden_Giraffe's Avatar

So, who's gonna be writing the memberfic erotica?

Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    Mine wouldn't. Sadly.
    Unless...
    Your username sounds exceedingly painful.

Quote Originally Posted by piratemarimo View Post
    apparently BFF is to blame for a lot of it
    I wasn't even here!

I'm not here now either......
    Handsome man save me from the monsters.

I would recommend hearing the full segment that I couldn't find. >>;
    http://www.scpr.org/programs/patt-morrison/2012/08/14/27892/people-subconsciously-mimic-fictional-characters/

Basically the segment was about how fictional characters can influence our thought process or habits (usually temporarily) the less aware we are of our submersion into them, which can be a useful tool for explaining other POVs but can 'backfire' if they have traits you don't like (I'm thinking of Dumbledore being gay when I say 'backfire', since it was the example they used).

(....They weren't being homophobic or anything it was just a good example of being shocked about a character people related with).

Have this happened to any of you guys (books, movies or otherwise?) What do you think this says about the power of stories and what kind of effect would you like your works to have?

For me, obviously I've been influenced by Shion and Spades Slick (somewhat and mostly in a transiet way), but I've also picked up traits from Tyrion, Nostalgia Critic and even Basil from The Great Mouse Detective from time to time. Hell Kenny's Britney Brite got me to say 'yo' a few times at the end of a sentence. Considering how stories always have some undertones of how the author sees/views the world, himself, society, etc. it's only natural that the better written characters can seep in new ideas or habits that look attracting or interesting, whether it's something new or something you can relate with. Or both.

I do kind of hope (not holding my breath) that one day my characters can have this power for the petty purpose of bragging about it, but the one story I have with an actual agenda would be anything relating to the Concrete Nation, where I use the character's lives to speak out against corporatism and greed run amok (more specifically the evils of private prisons).

...What, I can promise it will be both an intelligent and entertaining message at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesCa View Post
    Hell Kenny's Britney Brite got me to say 'yo' a few times at the end of a sentence.
    Oh my god I thought I was the only one to do this.

Heh. The whole "yo" thing itself is influenced from One Piece and how Oda gives a lot of characters certain ticks. I thought it would be fun to give Britney one herself.~

Phew, I just finished writing the end of the first half of Stargazer. Sure it's only one part and not the whole thing, but since the two halves have different parts and can stand alone as full-length stories in their own right, and it's been over a year since I started writing it to begin with doing so carries a great sense of satisfaction.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Sai-chan is going to make me stay on track for a little writing exercise, and I figured, hey, maybe you guys would like it too. It's a mini-writing challenge where you write based off a word over the course of 30 days. technically I already failed day one

http://anarchivedblog.tumblr.com/pos...e-a-drabble-or

It's a real thing. :T

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drabble

After another long while of not continuing it, you read your "king idea" because you're thinking of doing actual character charts. Your initial intent was to just check a couple of things, but you end up reading it out of curiosity.

And it's shit.

Shit upon shit upon shit upon shit. Upon some more shit that took another shit. Well, okay, maybe not that bad, but it's just frustrating to read because it's much worse you remembered it to be. And you are once again reminded of how much editing and re-writing it needs. And there's 43 pages of it. Containing all of those bad habits you have as a writer.

Does anyone have any advise on how I can find the motivation to rework this thing? :/

@Laca: You may be better off completely restarting and approaching the story from another perspective. Other than that, peer review and working in tangent with an editor (can be a friend) helps.

Now, if I may be so bold, I'd like to open up a discussion. I've had a certain question on my mind lately.

Where does one draw the line between pretentious writing and clever writing? Is it in the tone, author's intent, style of writing, the message one illicits from it or some other factor? Do you believe there's a thin line between the two or are the differences as clear as night and day?

I might be a little confused by what you mean, because pretentiousness and cleverness are on two different scales. Pretentious writing is boastful writing, whereas clever writing is more witty and brilliant. I can now see though what you mean. There's an exceedingly fine line there, but the important thing is to never actually be clever. Clever things should come natural to you. If you ever stop and think "well it'd be more clever to do it like this", then well, you're no longer being clever. Cleverness comes completely naturally and organically. It only works if it's on-the-spot really. If you're artificially inserting something, it's well, forced, and it typically shows.

So what you should be doing is what comes natural to you and stop trying to be clever. It'll usually come to you spontaneously, especially if you're not trying to force it out. Here's a good article on that: http://io9.com/5881386/how-not-to-be-a-clever-writer Basically, the point is, trying to be artificially clever stymies the natural writing process. If it's artificial, it appears to be pretentious, and that's not good. Everyone has a natural degree of cleverness, it just comes on its own and can't be forced.

Another way to prevent pretentious writing is to take note of your writing at all times. Strengths, weaknesses, what you're relying on too much, etc. Just be conscious of what your strengths and weaknesses are. But don't ever try and drown out your weaknesses with strengths. If your strengths start shining through too much, it feels like you're boasting. A lot of handling that deals with making good use of lampshading, irony, and similar tongue-in-cheek tropes that kinda poke fun at yourself a bit.

For instance, CdA's most pretentious aspect is that it takes itself really seriously as a story. I want it to be great and masterfully told. But I have to constantly be looking at its strengths and weaknesses and really gauge whether or not I'm being too forceful with that notion. Poking fun at my writing from time to time is likely to circumvent that.

It all comes down to just being organic, but conscious and hopefully it works from there. Also, this post is really pretentious.

I'm curious. Do any of you guys do weblogs around here? And does anyone write non-fiction? Like an online journal, or a recipe blog, or a travel blog, or anything like that?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information