+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Competition Submission Compendium

Default Competition Submission Compendium

This thread is a one-stop hub for prospective readers to quickly and easily find a story that suits them. If you feel the information here is inaccurate (synopses, status, and genre, for instance), then please by all means let me know and I will change the master post to accomodate it.

Also, this gives me incentive to get around to reading your stuff. :0 Which I should be doing anyway. >_>

(I am currently in the process of reading everything and updating everything, so currently most of this information is out of date. I'll be fixing this up as I go.~)

A Dastardly Two
    • Author: Kylor
    • Synopsis: Lockery is a young magician-in-training who finds himself living in the shadow of his father, until one day, he meets Vivien, a gun-toting ruffian that spends her time reading in secret in Lockery's library. Lockery, desiring freedom, decides to go with Vivien and embark on an adventure against his father's wishes. The perils of their journey are everywhere, even right outside Lockery's doorstep! It's gonna take a lot of courage, skill, luck, and heart for these dastardly two to find the freedom they desire...
    • Genre: Adventure
    • Total Number of Chapters: 8
    • Total Length of Series: 57,910 words; 306,407 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 7,239 words; 38,301 characters
    • First Release: February 1st, 2011
    • Latest Release: October 25th, 2011
    • Average Wait Time Between Releases: 38 days
    • Average Score: 28.5
    • Why is it worth reading?: Winner of Third, Fifth, and Sixth Bi-Weeklies!, Clever subversion of the Strong Hero-Magical Heroine dynamic, first-person perspective done right, deep description, distinct characters, huge immersion factor.

Ashina
    • Author: THE SEA
    • Synopsis: Synopsis Pending
    • Genre: Genre Pending
    • Total Number of Chapters: Pending
    • Total Length of Series: Pending
    • Average Length of Chapters: Pending
    • First Release: Pending
    • Latest Release: Pending
    • Average Wait Time Between Releases: Unavailable
    • Average Score: Pending
    • Why is it worth reading?: Pending
    (NOTE: As I am going to be reviewing THE SEA's Ashina for the Bi-Weekly, I will not update the Compendium entry until after I finish reading and writing the review. :) Sorry for the inconvenience.)

Bound: Book of Sloth
    • Author: Cuddles the Dark
    • Synopsis: In 2022, the world fell into panic as impending doom threatened to destroy it. Though it never came, the universe itself fell out of whack as even gods themselves have been slain. 1000 years later, the world finds itself in the wake of a new terror as an undead army moves into play, at the command of an enigmatic fox woman...
    • Genre: Fantasy, Futuristic
    • Total Number of Chapters: 2
    • Total Length of Series: 7,347 words; 40,836 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 3,674 words; 20,418 characters
    • First Release: March 25th, 2011
    • Latest Release: May 20th, 2011
    • Average Wait Time Between Releases: 56 days
    • Average Score: 22.7
    • Why is it worth reading?: Interesting use of present tense, very complex setting, rich fantastical worlds, very strong background information

Concerto di Ali
    • Author: Kitsune Inferno
    • Synopsis: As war threatens to rip a land apart, its people find themselves coping with the war in a variety of ways, from leading armies to finding lost friends. As the prospect of war threatens to consume them, a sinister plot looms in the backdrop, fueling the war itself...
    • Genre: Low-fantasy, Drama, Adventure, Action
    • Total Number of Chapters: 1
    • Total Length of Series: 4,856 words; 26,758 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 4,856 words; 26,758 characters
    • First Release: December 30th, 2010
    • Latest Release: September 4th, 2011
    • Average Score: 24.1
    • Why is it worth reading?: I wrote it. :P To sell it though, deep, rich world, likable and believable characters, shifting point-of-view, complex plot, and grand sense of scale.

Destiny of the Pet
    • Author: Insider2000
    • Synopsis: Natasha is neither dead nor alive, only a pet to Him and the Chosen Ones. Bound by the memory of her lover, Natasha seeks to escape His grasp. Yet can she truly escape the one who calls himself God...?
    • Genre: Fantasy, Horror
    • Total Length of Series: 2,446 words; 13,739 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 2,446 words; 13,739 characters
    • First Release: March 28th, 2011
    • Latest Release: March 28th, 2011
    • Average Score: 26.3
    • Why is it worth reading?: Winner of First Bi-Weekly!, stong characterization, modernized, Earth-like fantasy, strong dialogue and character dynamic, vivid imagery

Drowning in Identity
    • Author: LaCaSiNa
    • Synopsis: "I believe that other people are the most fascinating phenomenon in the entire world. The thought of never being able to be anyone but myself, never having the chance to experience somebody else's dreams and thoughts, is endlessly intriguing to me. I am the only person I know who'd willingly want to dive into another person's skin and gyruses. Although in my own way I already know them all. After all, how could I call myself the greatest sailor of the stormy seas of my mind if I didn't have the ability to navigate through the coast undetected?" -- It's really hard to put Drowning in Identity into words, because it's an extremely surreal piece. It's one you have to read for yourself.
    • Genre: Short Story, Internal, Drama, Slice-of-Life
    • Total Length of Series: 1,122 words; 6,369 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 1,122 words; 6,369 characters
    • First Release: May 8th, 2011
    • Latest Release: May 8th, 2011
    • Average Score: 27.2
    • Why is it worth reading?: Winner of Fourth Bi-Weekly!, Really deep, internal, strong characterization, surreal narrative.

Fishes
    • Author: No Maam
    • Synopsis: Billy Graham's a bit of a weirdo from childhood to adulthood, and his life hasn't been the greatest. But one day while fishing on the bayou, he fishes up something he thought he'd never see! But are things how they seem...?
    • Genre: Short Story, Drama?
    • Total Length of Series: 2,806 words; 14,702 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 1,403 words; 7,351 characters
    • First Release: April 10th, 2011
    • Latest Release: April 10th, 2011
    • Average Score: 24.3
    • Why is it worth reading?: Realistic setting, ambiguous ending, interesting characters.

Garbled Sanctuary
    • Author: LaCaSiNa
    • Synopsis: Marsha finds herself on some rooftop in the middle of an eery and foggy town. She tries to make her escape, but something supernatural has bigger things in mind. It doesn't take her long to realize she's in none other than Silent Hill and the nightmare is only beginning!
    • Genre: Fanfiction, Horror, Suspense, Thriller
    • Total Length of Series: 3,351 words; 18,925 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 3,351 words; 18,925 characters
    • First Release: April 18th, 2011
    • Latest Release: April 18th, 2011
    • Why is it worth reading?: Really deep descriptions, immersive story, if you like horror, this is the one for you!

Misplaced Fortunes
    • Author: MDL
    • Synopsis: Trey Barnes loves looking up at the stars, which gets him in trouble with his grandfather. One day, while walking to school, an ominous sphere looms in the sky above and Trey falls into the sewers, injuring himself quite badly. His life is saved by a mysterious girl, but that's only the least of his worries...
    • Genre: Science Fiction
    • Total Number of Chapters: 2 (1 available)
    • Total Length of Series: 2,758 words; 15,513 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 2,758 words; 15,513 characters
    • First Release: April 8th, 2011
    • Latest Release: May 5th, 2011
    • Average Wait Time Between Releases: 27 days
    • Average Score: 21
    • Why is it worth reading?: Interesting premise, decent hook, nice characterization.

Night at the Station
    • Author: Mastello
    • Synopsis: There's not much to see or do at a rundown and empty train station in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night, that's for sure. But I learned that you shouldn't judge a book by its cover and something ever more important that night...
    • Genre: Slice-of-Life
    • Total Length of Series: 1,722 words; 9,298 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 1,722 words;9,298 characters
    • First Release: May 6th, 2011
    • Latest Release: May 6th, 2011
    • Average Score: 23.3
    • Why is it worth reading?: Very strong message, relatable characters.

Pink Elephants
    • Author: piratemarimo
    • Synopsis: Synopsis Pending
    • Genre: Genre Pending
    • Total Number of Chapters: Pending
    • Total Length of Series: Pending
    • Average Length of Chapters: Pending
    • First Release: Pending
    • Latest Release: Pending
    • Average Score: 24.8
    • Why is it worth reading?: Pending
    (NOTE: I want to wait to see if you are submitting Chapter 2 before I sit down and read this.)

Reflections of Sin
    • Synopsis: Miami policewoman Christine Cyrus and her partner Kurt Prodigy arrive at an abandoned hotel where renegade serial killer Billy Walter is believed to be holed up. Christine and Kurt are about to realize that Billy's the least of their worries as Christine's past catches up with her and a greater threat hides in the hotel...
    • Genre: Suspense, Thriller, Fantasy
    • Total Number of Chapters: 4
    • Total Length of Series: 7,510 words; 43,539 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 1,878 words; 10,885 characters
    • First Release: May 4th, 2011
    • Latest Release: July 26th, 2011
    • Average Wait Time Between Releases: 28 days
    • Average Score: 25.8
    • Why is it worth reading?: Really suspenseful, deep characterization, great descriptions, gripping and immersive plot.

Sand Sharks
    • Author: Sakonosolo
    • Synopsis: Andrew is a young man serving on a merchant ship, living in the shadow of his father. The ship is soon attacked by pirates and Andrew's captain and the pirate captain lock steel in the midst of it all. But soon, the sharks come out to play and Andrew's found himself in enemy hands. But how does his father play into all this?
    • Genre: Action, Fantasy
    • Total Length of Series: 3,239 words; 16,997 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 3,239 words; 16,997 characters
    • Average Score: 23
    • Why is it worth reading?: Developed characters, interesting and unique setting, PIRATES!, engrossing plot.

Spirit Wolf
    • Author: Kitsune Inferno
    • Synopsis: Nukka doesn't believe the legends told in her village about Spirit Wolves, which are said to die in the place of their human link, so that they may live on. But Nukka's sister is dead, and Nukka's own wolf, Tikaani, further proves her point when it runs away from an attack by the Spiritless Men. Unfortunately for Nukka, she's about to receive a very rude awakening...
    • Genre: Adventure, Fantasy
    • Total Length of Series: 3,898 words; 21,101 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 1,949 words; 10,501 characters
    • First Release: July 5th, 2011
    • Latest Release: August 10th, 2011
    • Average Wait Time Between Releases: 36 days
    • Average Score: 24.2
    • Why is it worth reading?: Deep characterization, well-pieced back story, umm... maybe someone else should write this section. I don't wanna talk my own story up...

Sunflower
    • Author: Sakonosolo
    • Synopsis: Edward is sent by his boss at a library to an old African man named Hamisu's house to pick up some old books. The kindly man shows Edward the books, amongst which is a book written in a foreign language. Edward calls up a translator, but soon he'll wish he hadn't, as the book contains a secret that puts his life in jeopardy.
    • Genre: Suspense, Supernatural, Drama
    • Total Length of Series: 8,481 words; 42,343 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 8,481 words; 42,343 characters
    • First Release: June 23rd, 2011
    • Latest Release: July 6th, 2011
    • Average Score: 25
    • Why is it worth reading?: Deep, interesting characters, strong plot and narrative, nice surprise twist!

The Marvelous Adventures of Mr. M
    • Synopsis: A marvelous mishap leaves Mr. M in a magnificent mess! A growing fungus is taking the forest by storm and with the help of a girl named Tammy, he's got to stop it!
    • Genre: Fantasy/Children(?)
    • Total Length of Series: 1,630 words; 8,697 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 1,630 words; 8,697 characters
    • First Release: May 5th, 2011
    • Latest Release: May 5th, 2011
    • Why is it worth reading?: Simple fun story with succinct pacing and fun characters!

The Show Must Go On
    • Synopsis: During a puppet show for the children, a band of raiders attack the village. What awaits in the village, however, might just make those raiders wish they hadn't dropped in. Because in this village, the show can't end. Not just yet.
    • Genre: Fantasy, Horror
    • Total Length of Series: 2,587 words; 14,817 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 2,587 words; 14,817 characters
    • Why is it worth reading?: Winner of First Bi-Weekly!, stong characterization, very deep imagery, a bit of horror, very enticing

The Water Bug
    • Author: Badass SnoCone
    • Synopsis: What happens when a water bug finds its why into my house? A life and death struggle between man and insect, that's what!
    • Genre: Horror, Absolute Horror
    • Total Length of Series: 1,410 words; 6,970 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 1,410 words; 6,970 characters
    • First Release: July 6th, 2010
    • Latest Release: July 6th, 2010
    • Average Score: 23.4
    • Why is it worth reading?: Excellent writing, fun and humorous narrative, very exciting descriptions, relatable story

Thriller Blend
    • Author: Uncle Kenny
    • Synopsis: Britney Bright's out of sight! Mad check it, yo! In Half Happy Town, monsters, goblins, witches, and total nightmare fuel lives in perfect harmony... er... or rather, as harmonious as the things that go bump in the night can get! Among the town's denizens is a far-out witch girl named Britney Bright! Along with her best friend, Trixie Delight, Britney's adventures in Half Happy Town begin!
    • Genre: Horror, Fantasy, Comedy, Slice-of-Life
    • Total Length of Series: 12,552 words; 71,747 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 6,276 words; 35,873 characters
    • First Release: March 31st, 2011
    • Latest Release: August 27th, 2011
    • Average Wait Time Between Releases: 149 days
    • Average Score: 25.7
    • Why is it worth reading?: Fun comedic world, delightful characters, fun storyline, really really saccharine (in a good way!), excellent juxtaposition.

Two Brothers: The Crystal Promise
    • Author: Shuhan1288
    • Synopsis: Kyo Shuhan and his crew embark on a journey through the Grand Line! What perils await them and what secrets do the carry?
    • Genre: Fantasy, Fanfiction, Memberfiction
    • Total Length of Series: 2,335 words; 12,560 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 2,335 words; 12,560 characters
    • First Release: August 16th, 2010
    • Latest Release: May 6th, 2011
    • Average Score: 22.9
    • Why is it worth reading?: One Piece! Member plugging! An interesting set of characters, PIRATES!

Working Title
    • Synopsis: The Cimerrian Forest lies at the desolate edge of the world, in a world where animals can talk bit choose not to, a young man's perilous quest comes to an end. But is it truly and end or a new beginning?
    • Genre: Fantasy
    • Total Length of Series: 1,717 words; 9,124 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 1,717 words; 9,124 characters
    • First Release: April 17th, 2011
    • Latest Release: April 17th, 2011
    • Average Score: 27.3
    • Why is it worth reading?: Delicately painted setting, rich characterization, very engaging opening

Yukino
    • Author: Cuddles the Dark
    • Synopsis: Yukino is a troubled girl with a severe mental condition and only Dr. Issei can give her the treatment she needs. However, the secrets that Yukino and even her mother keep inside of them, as well as Issei's own lustful secrets, may be enough to undo all of the progress done so far.
    • Genre: Slice-of-Life, Science Fiction, Psychological
    • Total Number of Chapters: 6
    • Total Length of Series: 18,313 words; 97,010 characters
    • Average Length of Chapters: 3,052 words; 16,168 characters
    • First Release: April 14th, 2011
    • Latest Release: August 26th, 2011
    • Average Wait Time Between Releases: 29 days
    • Why is it worth reading?: Winner of Second Bi-Weekly!, excellent characters, well-written narrative, engaging plot, fantastic setting, very relaxed and psychological

Last edited by Kitsune Inferno; December 14th, 2011 at 04:04 PM.

Default Re: Bi-Weekly Compendium: One-Stop Guide to the Best this Subforum Has to Offer!

I've never actually submitted a chapter of "Tellus" so I'm not sure why it's here but good luck on the compendium, little fox.~

Default Re: Bi-Weekly Compendium: One-Stop Guide to the Best this Subforum Has to Offer!

sticky sticky sticky!
    Handsome man save me from the monsters.

Quote Originally Posted by trappedolphin View Post
    sticky sticky sticky!
    "Ah, what's that Kenny? Work your ass off you say? Organize a competition you say? Yeah, fuck you. I don't care about your sticky. You're not Kitsune."

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kenny View Post
    "Ah, what's that Kenny? Work your ass off you say? Organize a competition you say? Yeah, fuck you. I don't care about your sticky. You're not Kitsune."
    THAT'S NOT TRUE. I've been watching out for a news tab for the competition D: and I was really happy when the competition got stickied.

:(:(:(:(:(

@Kenny: You're right. Sorry, I think you had it up for submission at the time, but pulled it.

No Compendium spot for you. :3

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Just a small suggestion. If you are writing series with multiple installments, it might be best to either give them their own thread or make use of a master post in your thread, that way things don't get tangled around in here and the Bi-Weekly judges can sift through them easily. I am specifically referring to piratemarimo's Pink Elephants, Insider2000's Reflection of Sin, and potentially LaCaSiNa's Garbled Sanctuary.

An excellent example of a good master post is Kylor's 1st post in A Dastardly Two, though you don't need to post everything in that one post. Just links would be fine as well. (Not meaning to plug CdA here, but check out its first post as well.) Just saying for ease of access. :)

Kitsune Inferno, the Maecenas of Arlong Park :).
    Respect for doing this, I think it'll help the writers here a great deal. Now to motivate myself to actually write something too...

Write something "write" now, Mrs. DinkleIceburg! :3

No, seriously.

Not really.

>.>
    Too much taunting, no deal!
    Last edited by Mrs. Iceburg; August 10th, 2011 at 04:46 AM. Reason: There once was a fox who died a bloody death. The End ♥

Make me wanna write a story write better english.

Keep the great stories up writers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    You are a treasure.

Just a small suggestion. If you are writing series with multiple installments, it might be best to either give them their own thread or make use of a master post in your thread, that way things don't get tangled around in here and the Bi-Weekly judges can sift through them easily. I am specifically referring to piratemarimo's Pink Elephants, Insider2000's Reflection of Sin, and potentially LaCaSiNa's Garbled Sanctuary.
    Oh okay, you may consider this suggestion duly noted! Also I think it's safe to say that Garbled will be an ongoing story, since I have every intention of continuing it. What I'm not sure about is whether or not I should submit fanfiction as contest entries... but that's my problem and not anyone else's~

Btw I love how hard it seems to be to properly describe Drowning In Identity :D

Nothing I can say can properly describe it. :D That's why I just quoted the passage.

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

I guess this will motivate me to get off my butt and organize my writing thread. it really is a random mix of things.

An excellent example of a good master post is Kylor's 1st post in A Dastardly Two, though you don't need to post everything in that one post. Just links would be fine as well. (Not meaning to plug CdA here, but check out its first post as well.) Just saying for ease of access. :)
    "Ah, what's that Kenny? You did the master post thing first you say? Took consideration of character limits and used links so it would be an efficient master post you say? Yeah, fuck you. I don't care that you did it first. You're not Kitsune."

*gives Kenny-boy a hug and a mug of coffee*

Discovered Stowaway piratemarimo's Avatar

Okay, my thread is finally organized! :D

Quote Originally Posted by piratemarimo View Post
    Okay, my thread is finally organized! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Kenny View Post
    "Ah, what's that Kenny? You did the master post thing first you say? Took consideration of character limits and used links so it would be an efficient master post you say? Yeah, fuck you. I don't care that you did it first. You're not Kitsune."
    Awww. I think Kenny's jealous :(

NEVER!

But majority of my stories are one shots and short pieces with few chapters.

*sigh*

Fine. I'll magically start a series that will have it's own thread. Happy?

Just for this, you're paying for my wedding. Whenever I have a wedding.......with Claire....or Stryker.......or both at the same time....
    Last edited by Insider2000; August 11th, 2011 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Being married with a serial killer and a cop at the same time? SITCOM!

Action Hank is fucking awesome.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information