Closed Thread
Page 934 of 999 FirstFirst ... 434 834 884 924 932 933 934 935 936 944 984 ... LastLast
Results 18,661 to 18,680 of 19978

Thread: The Nintendo Thread

Default Re: The Nintendo Thread

So clearly Foolio hates it, but I was expecting that.

Anyway, I'm looking for some help from those more knowledgeable (than me, not Foolio): Wii U, or Switch?

Obviously I absolutely have to play Zelda and the only reason I'm not is because the Switch sells out everywhere, instantly, and the only person I know with a Wii U is on disability and as such has trouble getting stuff out of their garage.

Here's my story:

Hidden:
    Gaming-wise, these days I only care about Zelda and Smash Bros, but that will change as my kids get a bit older. My oldest two play Smash Bros and Mario Kart with me on the Wii/Cube already, but not competitively of course [ages 4, 9]. Beyond that my son emulates my older games on my PSP (Zelda, Mario, Final Fantasy); we don't know any other consoles. I'm not big into my kids playing games all the time, they're more likely to read a book or be outside, so weekend morning/evening is basically it for them. I'd like to be able to have Smash Bros Netplay matches with a few of my friends who moved away, but they don't currently have a console either. So that basically leaves me playing a game late at night or on my lunch breaks at work, or otherwise with my kids here and there. The "late at night or at work" are theoreticals that don't happen because I don't have a mobile console and I'm not the kind of guy who spends his nights in a different room, disengaged from his wife. If she wants to read or watch a crappy show, my preference is to at least be near her, not in another room.

My options are to either buy the Switch when it becomes available, buy a Wii U off Craigslist or something, or else wait for my friend to loan me his Wii U. The latter option will not be permanent and only so I can play Zelda. Most sellers in my area for the Wii U have Mario Kart and/or Smash Bros, so that could be a nice perk, but I don't like used consoles because I don't trust them as an investment. The Switch allows me to play at work and at night, and when the inevitable next version of Smash Bros comes out I can get it, plus I imagine SSB4 will eventually port over in case SSB5 sucks.

Anyway, I've followed Zelda development religiously, but the Switch as a console not-so-much. Good news, bad news, Foolio news?

The portability of the Switch might benefit you. And if playing online in games like Mario Kart matters to you, then I would go Switch since it's getting an enhanced MK8 and I bet the Wii U servers will shut down before long. The future of Smash is unknown but it's probably a safe bet that the Switch will get something eventually.

It still pains me to recommend something that has legitimately bad hardware but eh.

I was reading today that Smash will come to Switch, but I'm not expecting it before Q4 at least. I know I will want to play Zelda more than once, more than just right now, so I don't want to buy the game on an old system that dies off if there's a good reason to avoid it, but I see the Switch as a system much like the 3DS, where we'll see a revision or two come out over the next few years improving on the hardware.

Speaking for myself, I'm totally satisfied with my Wii U and all the games it can play. Since you already have a Wii and have older games covered, though, it'd just be useful for the exclusive games. And as Foolio said, Switch is definitely getting the heavy hitters you mentioned like MK8, Smash and Splatoon, so the list of games only it can play is actually pretty small. There's still plenty I could recommend like Captain Toad, Yoshi's Woolly World, Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Maker, Star Fox Zero/Guard (people are split on it, but I found 2 player co-op's pretty fun), Shantae, DK Tropical Freeze, Pikmin 3, and Hyrule Warriors if you want a lot of Zelda nostalgia. Of course, with a much cheaper 3DS you could play a version of nearly all of them except Captain Toad and Pikmin, and it also has Smash.

I'd say in your case, you'll get a lot more mileage from a Switch since it will get the games you've mentioned, at least by the time your kids are old enough to play more competitively. So if you can bear to wait on BotW, it might be easier to find a system during summer. I remember the Wii U selling out for the first week, but I got one pretty soon after that, so keep your ear to the ground and a Switch might even pop up within a month.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

My Wii U is almost never hooked up to a TV. Most games (including Zelda and Smash Bros) can be played exclusively on the screen, so I keep it in the bedroom and use headphones if my GF is sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by brennen.exe View Post
    So clearly Foolio hates it, but I was expecting that.

Anyway, I'm looking for some help from those more knowledgeable (than me, not Foolio): Wii U, or Switch?
    The Wii U has a lot of good games on it, but at the end of the day, it's a dead console now. No more first party games will come out for it, and I doubt we're gonna have any major 3rd party releases from here. It's effectively dead.

Plus, all of the best games are either being ported over to other systems, (Yoshi's Wooly World and Super Mario Maker are on 3DS now, Breath of the Wild got switched to Multiplat, Mario Kart 8 is coming to Switch and Sm4sh is rumored to do the same) or are getting sequels that will deliver just as good if not better of an experience (Splat2n)

That, coupled with you seeming to already have a preference on portability, is saying to me you should probably go Switch.

I've had mine since launch and I'm honestly loving it. I haven't had too much need to go out and use it as a portable, but the handful of times I have it's been great.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and suggestions. In the end my friend pulled through last Friday and dropped the console off, so the ease of spending $60 and playing that night totally destroyed any patience I might have had in waiting for a Switch to pop up. Long-term I'll probably still by the Switch, but the 'probably' depends on controller costs and games coming out this year.

Zelda is amazing. Foolio you're a total hater! No excuses.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/03/1...its-worldwide/

The Switch is estimated to have sold a respectable 1.5 million units so far.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

I'd like to know where that is happening because where I am I still can't get the goddamn thing

Huh, amazon is sold out. Freaky.

Xenoblade and fire emblem warriors might move my switch timetable earlier.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    I'd like to know where that is happening because where I am I still can't get the goddamn thing
    Wait really? Here I thought you got BotW for Switch XD

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Wait really? Here I thought you got BotW for Switch XD
    I'm playing it on Wii U due to being unable to get the Switch on launch

I'm playing it on Wii U due to being unable to get the Switch on launch
    Duh, just get Foolio to give you his.

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    Duh, just get Foolio to give you his.
    While mooching is indeed an option, the fact the Switch is more portable to me than console means I'll want my own.

Not to mention that, again, while disliking certain things he still very very very obviously wants to still be able to play the games that come out for it.

While mooching is indeed an option, the fact the Switch is more portable to me than console means I'll want my own.

Not to mention that, again, while disliking certain things he still very very very obviously wants to still be able to play the games that come out for it.
    hahahaha.
    Reminds me of the fact that eventually, my brother and I would have to get a second one.

It's actually starting to get kind of annoying that no matter how much I explain that despite thinking it's stupid hardware, there was never any question that I needed a Switch once they announced the games, people keep assuming that I don't want mine. Or that because I am actually capable of seeing flaws in Zelda, that I don't think it's a really fun game.

It's kinda like metropolitan public transportation. You may hate it, but otherwise you're walking.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

To those of us who do have a Switch already, heads up: Splatoon 2 Global Testfire is currently downloadable.

The actual matches won't be playable until next week at the appointed times, but if you want you can pre-load your system with the actual game demo files now.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 • Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Didn't we knew that already?

Closed Thread

Thread Information