Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • OF COURSE! 4kids just went of of hand

60 58.25%
  • NO!!! It can only fail.

8 7.77%
  • No. I dont like the story being toned down

24 23.30%
  • No. Theres too many ******** to work(A cookie if you can guess what goes here)

11 10.68%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Can a One Piece Y7-FV dub be done right?

Default Can a One Piece Y7-FV dub be done right?

DO you think a Y7-FV (For TV That is) dubOne Piece can be done right?

NOTE:Please note that Im speaking about an Hipotetical TV Dub.
    Last edited by aegisrawks; May 6th, 2010 at 06:48 PM.

Default Re: Can a One Piece Y7-FV dub be done right?

If they could keep the story intact. I just buy the uncut DVDs anyways.
    Last edited by Yuudi; May 6th, 2010 at 06:40 PM. Reason: To add more

I highly doubt it. They would have to edit out some if not all of the blood. And maybe even edit action scenes as well. They would probably have to edit out some story elements also.

At least they wouldn't make Sanji have a Taffy?

But even a few Funi dubbed episodes were Y7-FV and those werent so bad. Except for the ones with "King" Enel.

I would loved to see Sanji with the white candy sticks. They always looked like cigarettes to me when I was little.
    Last edited by Yuudi; May 6th, 2010 at 06:48 PM. Reason: To add more

4th Dimensional Explorer cbajd5's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yuudi View Post
    I would loved to see Sanji with the white candy sticks. They always looked like cigarettes to me when I was little.
    That's why they used to sell them as candy cigarettes.

Yeah, it can be done right if handled very carefully, but if they'd go with Cartoon Network they could get a TV-PG rating, and that'd be easy to do.

"facepalm"

But see, Cartoon Network gave anime das boot, and they have made pretty clear that they dont want any. So thats hardly "easy".

Disney XD does let naruto have a PG rating, why not there?

Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and DBZ all did fine with that rating.
    "And One Piece is a great title. We feel we needed to do the
    more authentic dub that's exactly like the Japanese version."

- Gen Fukunaga, CEO and Founder of Funimation

Quote Originally Posted by Charagon View Post
    Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and DBZ all did fine with that rating.
    What Rating? PG or Y7-FV?

Of course. One Piece is a kids show. Here's how I would edit it for the first 52 episodes:

- Flash all hits. Yes we hate it, but it's necessary.
    - Edit scenes where guns are pointed at people, at least at close range. (Marines pointing guns at Zoro = Fine - Helmeppo at Coby = Not fine)
    - On the topic of Coby and Helmeppo, just edit the gun out entirely. Seriously. No hammergun.
    - Nami's provocative scenes are fine. Naruto gets by with it. If not, then tone em down a bit
    - Edit MOST of the blood, obviously.
    - Sanji's cigarette can just be unlit. If not, FUNi got by without it.
    - Same goes for all cigars/cigarettes
    - DEATH is a natural thing. Don't touch it!
    - Nojiko being shot will likely be editted. Maybe she tripped? LOL I dunno, or at least imply the gunshot.
    - Zoro vs Mihawk should have some blood, but the slash will have to be editted.
    - Nami's stabbity death could be editted to her just punching her arm or something (as dumb as it sounds) but Nami's scene is pivotal to her character.
    - NO SKIPPING/COMBINING EPISODES

Lol, I suck as an editor :\

Id imply the gunshot. I already had an idea of what id do with the scene in tvtropes.

And I dont find the need for the white flashes.BUt I could live with them.

Honestly, for most of the violence edits all you need to do is loop a second of still frame for a bit at strategic spots and let the audio do the work.

You don't need to show Bellemere getting shot. You can stop the frame on Nami's reaction as we hear the gun go off. If you do it right, you'll probably traumatize the kids even more. After all, you can do stuff like this on a Saturday morning cartoon.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDvkQ-NNF5c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDvkQ-NNF5c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The censors actually made them change it so instead of being viewed from a normal camera angle, they put the camera during the point of impact in the car. Apparently putting the viewer right next to Jim Gordan as his daughter smashes against his windshield made the scene more acceptable to them.

Anyway, don't confuse 4Kids' extreme cutting with minimum standards. A lot of shows got away with a LOT more than 4Kids would ever allow in the same timeslot.
    Last edited by Charagon; May 7th, 2010 at 12:18 AM.
    "And One Piece is a great title. We feel we needed to do the
    more authentic dub that's exactly like the Japanese version."

- Gen Fukunaga, CEO and Founder of Funimation

Censorship is all... a big confusing mess.

Stuff that we won't even think of as a problem could very well be a problem for the people who handle censorship. As Dogasu (from Dogasu's Backpack, a Pokemon comparison website) said...

While giving a gun 2 seconds of screentime might be okay, giving a gun 6 or more is not. A gun can aimed at an adult, but not anywhere near the head and it can't be too close. If it's a child, a gun can't be pointed at all.

That's just a couple of things that go through their heads. And all this shit can change in an instant. It's a really confusing thing to fully get an aspect of...

Honestly, for most of the violence edits all you need to do is loop a second of still frame for a bit at strategic spots and let the audio do the work.

You don't need to show Bellemere getting shot. You can stop the frame on Nami's reaction as we hear the gun go off. If you do it right, you'll probably traumatize the kids even more. After all, you can do stuff like this on a Saturday morning cartoon.

[youtube]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDvkQ-NNF5c&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pDvkQ-NNF5c&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/youtube]

The censors actually made them change it so instead of being viewed from a normal camera angle, they put the camera during the point of impact in the car. Apparently putting the viewer right next to Jim Gordan as his daughter smashes against his windshield made the scene more acceptable to them.

Anyway, don't confuse 4Kids' extreme cutting with minimum standards. A lot of shows got away with a LOT more than 4Kids would ever allow in the same timeslot.
    Arlong's gun didnt make any sound...

Quote Originally Posted by aegisrawks View Post
    Arlong's gun didnt make any sound...
    Yes it did, it was just a delayed sound effect. It made the sound at the establishing shot, no pun intended, of Bellemere falling back with the gun smoking.

As for my thoughts on a Y7-FV dub of OP. It can be done, but it'll be kinda meh. I mean, if they keep in the white flashes during punches, then if they were to ever get to Franky vs. Fukurou, then it'd be an epileptic mess as Luffy's Octopus Fireworks would've been had they actually aired a censored episode here in America. Cigars/Cigarettes can be unlit. Blood can be toned down, at least the gushing kind, but we need some facial blood. The whole Jaya scene w/ Luffy and BB had more impact w/ Luffy all battered and bloody rather than slightly scuffed. We could also do more of those looping certain reaction scenes when something violent happens. Prime example would be the Saruyama Alliance vs. Bellamy's crew. When Sarquis slashed Masira, it transitioned way too fast from the attack to Masira falling. Showing Masira's reaction to the attack w/o showing the gushing blood then having him fall would've been a better transition.
    Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/devilkicksanji2

Creator of: Green Green Abridged and DearS Abridged
    Writer and Co-Creator of: Angel Beats! Insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    - Nami's stabbity death could be editted to her just punching her arm or something (as dumb as it sounds) but Nami's scene is pivotal to her character.
    Yep, that sounds pretty stupid.
    But I saw a Youtube video once where some guy had an idea to work around the Nami stabbing herself-thing but still contain the epic- and sadness of the scene.

He had the idea that Nami holds up the knife so that the viewer understands that she wants to stab herself, and then just cut to the scene where Luffy is standing behind Nami and holds the knife in his hand. The scene would still have a bit of the impact the original scene had.

The best thing I can think of (considering the Nami stab scene) would be Nami raising the knife to stab herself and then Luffy coming to stop her. In otherwords, the actual stabbing would be taken out but not the intention (of Nami wanting to stab herself)...

Though explaining the bandage on her arm afterwards would be a problem...

EDIT: Yeah, what InvaderP basically said. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Smore View Post
    As Dogasu (from Dogasu's Backpack, a Pokemon comparison website) said...

While giving a gun 2 seconds of screentime might be okay, giving a gun 6 or more is not. A gun can aimed at an adult, but not anywhere near the head and it can't be too close. If it's a child, a gun can't be pointed at all.
    Yep, and even then there's other stuff to consider. To play off your Pokemon example, it's also different if there happened to be Officer Junsa/Jenny's in the area or not. (Since that's another reason the Safari ep. got skipped, there wasn't any officers to step in like other times)
    My Livejournal/blog
    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    His character is dull now anyway, he's a smug little ace, I miss the part 1 Shikamaru, the dunce who was actually smart. That whole thematic world is dead and gone and I don't think Kishi even remembers it.

Awesome that you'd evoke Batman TAS. There were earlier episodes with worse things, including several times when Batman would outright state they were chasing a drug pusher. In one episode, he chases a Mob druglord and takes him into a clinic and shows him that his own son has become a Junkie. They flat out STATE he's "Hooked" on "Drugs". And the moral (and title) of the episode is "It's never Too Late" meaning it's never too late to get out of a life of crime. It was extremely well-written and poignant, and it was a Kids show.

Plus, Heart of Ice was just amazing... it really has nothing objectionable, I just needed to say that.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel[/CENTER]

Unfortiantly, BTAS is an old show. Censorship is tighter now. Not to mention it's an American cartoon, which always seem to get more leeway than anime when it comes to content.

I believe (back then) it was rated TV-Y7. Nowadays it'd probably be TV-PG.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information