+ Reply to Thread
Page 363 of 364 FirstFirst ... 263 313 353 361 362 363 364 LastLast
Results 7,241 to 7,260 of 7263

Thread: Disney animation thread

Default Re: Disney animation thread

Oh crap.
    https://movieweb.com/mulan-remake-di...hKc0Q4S_geyT9E

They don't need to sing, but we all knew they needed to keep Mushu.

I really hope this kills the Live Action Remakes deader than dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I really hope this kills the Live Action Remakes deader than dead.
    based on what's been happening and at this rate, it just might.
    NintendoID: Zodiark14

Discovered Stowaway

Well I know for the most part they're not getting good reception with critics and possibly also audiences but aren't they still making money?

Don't a good number movies do reshoots? I say wait and see.

I was interested in seeing something different so I hope the reshoot don't make it too similar.

They'll never stop doing live action remakes of Disney classics

the only way that would happen is if they stop making money, but seeing how well Live action Lion King did, I don't think that's happening anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Don't a good number movies do reshoots?
    Sometimes movies do reshoots, but they're usually pretty minor. Not major ones like this where they're doing it because the audience absolutely hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiebs View Post
    They'll never stop doing live action remakes of Disney classics

the only way that would happen is if they stop making money, but seeing how well Live action Lion King did, I don't think that's happening anytime soon
    Lion King did massive box office, Aladdin broke one billion, Dumbo roughly broke even as did Pete's Dragon, and Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book were also massive hits.

The problem going forward is that they've already done most of the really big Disney films with only a few of that Disney Renaissance tier left and the rest being films along the lines of Dumbo and Pete's Dragon. Most of the remaining films wouldn't promote themselves the way just the idea of remaking, for instance, Aladdin did. Further there's the problem of the spinoffs and sequels not doing nearly as well; the Alice sequel didn't come close to the first film's box office, Mary Poppins Returns roughly broke even, and the opening weekend for Maleficent's sequel didn't quite reach industry forecasts. So when they finish cannibalizing the hits, where do they go from there?

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Don't a good number movies do reshoots? I say wait and see.
    Most films do reshoots but not on this scale; if anything, this feels more like a Lone Ranger situation where the amount of reshoots could easily double the film's budget. Plus if the reshoots go on too long, it could easily throw off the release and marketing schedule for not only itself but other films that might have to be moved around to take up its slot on the release calendar.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    So when they finish cannibalizing the hits, where do they go from there?

Go back to making more theatrical updates of old TV shows,Radio Serials, or books (pulling a WB in the process) or making live action adaptations of things like Atlantis, Home Over The Range, or start raiding Pixar's library for them?

Or remake stuff like Blank Check?

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Oh crap.
    https://movieweb.com/mulan-remake-di...hKc0Q4S_geyT9E

They don't need to sing, but we all knew they needed to keep Mushu.
    Even with Mushu their lead still would've made those shitty comments.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Go back to making more theatrical updates of old TV shows,Radio Serials, or books (pulling a WB in the process) or making live action adaptations of things like Atlantis, Home Over The Range, or start raiding Pixar's library for them?

Or remake stuff like Blank Check?
    Like I said though, those remakes of lesser films have roughly broke even and their last few adaptations of older works have fared pretty poorly. The Lone Ranger, The BFG, Nutcracker and the Four Realms, and A Wrinkle in Time were all massive bombs. If not for Marvel, they'd be a world of hurt right now from all of the underperforming live action films over the past few years.

Remaking Pixar films seems like a dicey proposition as well since those already do excellent box office but would be massively expensive to remake because of how special effects intensive they would be. On the other end, going cheap or redoing lesser known titles seems unlikely to create the kind of box office they'd need to replace the revenue from bigger films.

Doesn't help either that Star Wars has had diminishing returns as well.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Like I said though, those remakes of lesser films have roughly broke even and their last few adaptations of older works have fared pretty poorly. The Lone Ranger, The BFG, Nutcracker and the Four Realms, and A Wrinkle in Time were all massive bombs. If not for Marvel, they'd be a world of hurt right now from all of the underperforming live action films over the past few years.

Remaking Pixar films seems like a dicey proposition as well since those already do excellent box office but would be massively expensive to remake because of how special effects intensive they would be. On the other end, going cheap or redoing lesser known titles seems unlikely to create the kind of box office they'd need to replace the revenue from bigger films.

Doesn't help either that Star Wars has had diminishing returns as well.
    Hey it's their money let them burn it and bullshit about why shit got fucked up, so we can laugh at them.

It's what they deserve.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Ditching Mushu and the songs was what was making me actually interested in the film... it showed they were actually doing something *new* and not just a shot for shot re-enactment. If the reshoots are all to just add back in elements from the animated film I dunno.

If they're to give big impressive battle scenes, well... maybe? The Hobbit had a multi-month break so they could work out their action in the last film but that didn't actually help the film really.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I didn't need the songs, but I was a little sad that Mushu wasn't in it. He didn't need to be Eddie Murphy 2.0 again, but randomly putting a phoenix in instead seemed a little off.

If they do put songs back in we know the only ones they really need are Reflection and Make a Man Out of You.

Today is the 25th anniversary of Gargoyles.

I did a thing.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

You're pretty good.

Very nice.

And god damn, I am old.

Oh, watching Coco. I needed a good cry.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

But I had another Ratatoulie moment (not what it seems, for me is the moment that all the rats started cooking, and my reality bias broke me, as it was something that I couldn't accept in movies) with all the fucking candles! Fire safety people! keep one in those glasses, or floating in water, or the small ones in a can! But that was just at the begining, and could move on.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

With my Disney+ subscription, I finally saw Black Cauldron for the first time. It's...okay, which is about what I expected. It's not an overlooked classic, but it's not terrible either. Granted, there are very few Disney films I would describe as outright bad.

The plot is fairly standard for a medieval fantasy story, and the characters are pretty unremarkable. But, as everyone has said the Horned King himself is pretty cool, even if there's not a whole lot to him either (style over substance). And the movie does have some incredible art and animation at parts, I'll give it that.

Also, I have the same problem with this movie that I had with The Last Unicorn in that the entire presentation just feels...off. I mean, I understand the story, but all the events and set pieces just feel sort of random. And the audio feels unrefined, sometimes making it hard for me to understand what the characters are saying (not helped by Gurgi's voice). It almost feels like there's a distortion filter over the entire film. Like the filmmakers weren't entirely confident about what they wanted to convey. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Black Cauldron would probably be better if Katzenberg hadn't insisted they cut 12 minutes from the run time, due to not understanding that unlike live action, you dont get B footage to play with and get alternate takes.

The team did what they could and trimmed six minutes, than Katz went in and cut even more.

Like, okay, cut down the horrific violent imagrey in the finale some since it was terrifying children, (but come on, so did the Queen in Snow WHite) but the rest came from cutting little character bits and transitions, stuff that remained intact in the audio read-along version.

It seems likely that original footage still exists, so its kind of surprising it never got an "original cut" treament as a selling point somewhere along the way. I know it wasn't a success and its a black sheep release they were hesitant to ever even put out on tape, and would cost a little money to restore, but they put new abomination song numbers into Lion King and Beauty and the Beast that wreck their flow, (and restored the song that MAKES Pocahontas work) so I can't see why it would be that bad a prospect unless something really wanky went on back then.

The actual The Chronicles of Prydain books are much better, and they put out the money to re-option them a few years back and I think we're getting movies/tv series out of that, so hopefully that works out this time.
    Last edited by Robby; November 18th, 2019 at 03:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

It seems likely that original footage still exists, so its kind of surprising it never got an "original cut" treament as a selling point somewhere along the way. I know it wasn't a success and its a black sheep release they were hesitant to ever even put out on tape, and would cost a little money to restore, but they put new abomination song numbers into Lion King and Beauty and the Beast that wreck their flow, (and restored the song that MAKES Pocahontas work) so I can't see why it would be that bad a prospect unless something really wanky went on back then.
    What's important is now that we have Disney+ they don't have to spend money printing it on disc or selling it to stores, they can just play it on their own streaming. So it's perfectly easy and affordable to re-edit. But being Disney they may not want to spend a penny.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information