Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 34 42 43 44 45 46 ... LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 988

Thread: FINAL MATCH Discussion

  1. #861
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer Ms. Suave Debonair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    London

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Fire-Fist View Post
    ivotas i read ur post somewhere that if this thing goes smoothly then this will become an yearly thing...

    so we will have this next year too?
    yeah but you won't be invited

  2. #862
    Back To Black Flux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    United Kingdom

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Cool the way the last final match is open for like 3 Days, I hadn't noticed until a few
    minutes ago, nice, this'll really dredge the voters out, altough to be fair, there are many
    matches that just can't be beat like the Ritchie and Sengoku one. Or the Garp and Smoker one.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

  3. #863
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Some island in new world

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Bad-Beat View Post
    yeah but you won't be invited

    np... i'll buy you another ticket..
    ...

  4. #864

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by threedayslater View Post
    But he wasn't being a dick. It would have been really really bad if they just let Usopp back in again without an apology. Sanji even agreed with him! You know he's right when Sanji agrees with him!
    Apparently some people believe that he should have let Usopp walk all over their captain.

  5. #865
    Just another Robin fan Tare_chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The so called City of Flowers...

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    I think, in that scene, Zoro've just tought Usopp to be more mature, and at the same time remind Luffy so that he won't forget his position, and to remind all crew that being pirate is no game. So, for me, that scene actually add Zoro's coolness point even higher.

    Z/R Forever!!
    avatar by: e1n
    sig by: inori

  6. #866

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
    Apparently some people believe that he should have let Usopp walk all over their captain.
    Way to simplify.

    It wasn't just asking for an apology, it was his whole attitude in context. Usopp's too. The W-7 conclusion wasn't handled well in general and suffered problems with consistency, which is why there was so much controversy about it (one of many during those days). I'm too lazy to get deep into it, but the fact is that after the arc both Zoro and Usopp took huge blows to their popularity. ...Which kind of makes me regret that we didn't have one of these tourneys right after that. The results would have no doubt been hilarious.

  7. #867

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Way to simplify.

    It wasn't just asking for an apology, it was his whole attitude in context. Usopp's too. The W-7 conclusion wasn't handled well in general and suffered problems with consistency, which is why there was so much controversy about it (one of many during those days). I'm too lazy to get deep into it, but the fact is that after the arc both Zoro and Usopp took huge blows to their popularity. ...Which kind of makes me regret that we didn't have one of these tourneys right after that. The results would have no doubt been hilarious.
    Yeah, it's simple...Usopp disrespected their captain and Zoro didn't want to let him get away with it without an apology. It's not like he didn't want him back in the crew - he simply wanted him to apologize. If he didn't stand up then people would continue treating Luffy like garbage not just in comedic situations but in real serious situations deciding the future of the crew.

    What was so wrong with Zoro's attitude? Did you expect him to be all nice and happy about it? It was a serious issue and he handled it in a calm and serious manner. Sanji agreed with him and eventually - the whole crew.

    Besides, I don't think Zoro's popularity suffered because of that incident. When the chapter came out most people agreed with him and there were only a few who were turned off. If anything, it added to his character and people respected him more about it.

  8. #868
    Calm before the storm dinty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    a few steps from the Pacific Ocean

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Quichotte De Flamingo View Post
    but richie is still their
    non the less ,their is sure still hope for us and foxy battleing a future yonkou has to be a coverstory
    The way I see it, Richie will be the final opponent for Foxy, taking the same place as Luffy once did, and just as that match is about to get started, Buggy will come storming in.

    great idea...gaimon sure need some new friends and PX would be great to see ,how he discovers a peaceful place where his mind chances(when he has a mind)..
    gaimon would be the perfect teacher for thatlove all animals however they may look like....
    Yes, exactly, by the end of the chapter story we would see him gently patting the head of a rabbit or something, and enjoying a mellow sunset.


    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    But I guess in the end the deciding factor was that Luffy's popularity was just too much. Understandable though, given that it's been his story alone for the last year. (Though that is true about the timing for Zoro. Perhaps Oda was trying to make up for his dickishness in W-7 with that generous exhibition of good deeds.)
    I agree about Luffy's popularity and the good timing in terms of recent manga chapters. If he was to win a tournament -- and he almost certainly will this time -- this should be it. Cheers to the true pirate king!

    Oda has been evolving Zoro's personality for a long time -- turning him from a lovable goof into a responsible adult. And unfortunately, that's made Zoro less popular with some people, because he's no longer as stupidly funny as he once was. But I think Oda's done a great job of finding other ways to make Zoro funny. For instance, making a lot of jokes at the expense of that new-found seriousness in Zoro (for example, Sanji's reaction after the negative ghost zaps Zoro, and Zoro's reaction to Sanji's reaction) So we're still laughing at Zoro, but it's his intense seriousness that's the punchline now, where it used to be his intense stupidity.

    Of course we see the events at W-7 differently and always have, and I'm not going to try to persuade you otherwise (*sweat*) but I think you're right that at least some of the good deeds he's done since then are Oda's way of showing that he's not a monster.

    I also think that Oda had Usopp play a major role in the saving of Zoro (just before they all got pawed) as a way of reinforcing to fans that there's no hard feelings between the two of them, and so there shouldn't be between the fans either. And did you notice that Usopp gave Zoro a lecture too? Not many people catch that, but it's there. Zoro demands to be dropped so that he can serve as a distraction for Pacifista and so that Ussop can escape. Usopp flatly negates the plan: "Hell no! You're crew, too!" So Ussop isn't taking the easiest way out anymore, and Zoro has just learned that he can't always play the martyr card.

    Even though Buggy seems to be building up for greater things, I too would still like a meeting with Foxy. And with Alvida and the rest of his crew wandering around without one of their co-captains, they'd make for some nice Foxy-prey so I wouldn't say the window of opportunity has been shut just yet.
    The way I see it, this is a convenient way for him to end up with a huge crew before entering the New World. So for him to have circus (the original crew), side-show freaks (Foxy's crew) and con-artists (the Impel Down 'converts') all together in one big armada seems perfect to me. And yes, he's got to go on to bigger things. He's one of Oda's own favorite characters.
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

    ......-- Tool (from Lateralus)

  9. #869

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    As I've realized, I've being immature to myself... Luffy is a lovable character and he deserves to win this competition, so I'm trying my best to support my boy XD

    and supporting on how Zoro changed...

    In real life that we're going to get mature at some point. That's how I find with Zoro recently. and to be honest I thought I'm the only one noticed that Zoro is less funnier compared to pre-Eneru or pre-Kuma incident. I kinda miss the old Zoro the way we used to loved him but at the same time, he looks cooler and very mature at one point (W7 arc and TB especially.) Oda is still evolving with these characters, is just that for me Zoro had a big change the most. I'm not complaining though :P

    I'm also saddened that OP fans didn't see the Usopp's change. I'm so so happy how Oda evolved Usopp after the W7. (Yes, I love the fact that Usopp's the one who carried Zoro) so kudos to him... I like Usopp even more =)

  10. #870
    Upper Class Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
    Apparently some people believe that he should have let Usopp walk all over their captain.
    I see. I guess that's then the pussies that don't like the when someone states the truth which can be painful at times. There's nothing dickish in Zoro's behaviour there. He did what needed to be done in a manner that helped him to get the point across. Even Sanji agreed with him on that matter which should prove how right everything was. Of course this is not something whimpy pussies can relate to. The only thing they can relate to is this:



    Kuhahahahahahahahahaha

  11. #871
    Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Albion

    Default Re: FINAL FUCKING MATCH Discussion

    Don't forget this fella.

    Last edited by Darkstorm; September 4th, 2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: one of yours, I think. Kishishishishi.

  12. #872
    Upper Class Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany

    Default Re: FINAL FUCKING MATCH Discussion

    Oh yeah, my bad.

  13. #873

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Darklord View Post
    Yeah, it's simple...Usopp disrespected their captain and Zoro didn't want to let him get away with it without an apology.
    Simplify: ignoring the cause, circumstances, everything that happened in-between, irony, very nature of the SH crew and breaking it down into a strawman argument. Basically what you did. If you're that interested just read through the old threads. I won't say anymore on it since it's an old topic that I care about getting into just as much as "Usopp character development".

    (Edit, lest I incur Ivotas' wrath: Just to make it clear, I'm not approving what Usopp did.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivotas View Post
    Ooh good point. Because of Zoro's dickishness we were forced to put up with Luffy and Usopp bawling like a bunch babies.

    Quote Originally Posted by dinty View Post
    Oda has been evolving Zoro's personality for a long time -- turning him from a lovable goof into a responsible adult. And unfortunately, that's made Zoro less popular with some people, because he's no longer as stupidly funny as he once was. But I think Oda's done a great job of finding other ways to make Zoro funny.
    Yeah, Zoro's found a new niche in deadpan humour. And it has made for some really funny moments whenever he lets it out. I also agree that he's one of the crew that has changed the most since his introduction, so it's a positive in that it shows development. But on the other hand I still find it a shame since, save a few quirks he's kept, that very growth and maturity has made him conform too much to the generic "honourable swordsman" archetype - one I never liked. But we can't all have our cake and eat it, too.

    Of course we see the events at W-7 differently and always have, and I'm not going to try to persuade you otherwise (*sweat*) but I think you're right that at least some of the good deeds he's done since then are Oda's way of showing that he's not a monster.
    Weeell, it wouldn't be interesting if we agreed on everything now would it? Not that I object to the principle per se. (Though I suspect Zoro has never read the story of "The Prodigal Son".) But I liked his bonding with Brook, so eh, let it slide.

    I did miss the little lecture Usopp gave him - that puts a new spin on an already interesting scene (Usopp protecting Zoro for a change). Though Zoro's 'flaw' here was really just more of his honourable nature kicking in, I don't know if that should really count. Still, the whole Sabaody conclusion was great.

    The way I see it, this is a convenient way for him to end up with a huge crew before entering the New World. So for him to have circus (the original crew), side-show freaks (Foxy's crew) and con-artists (the Impel Down 'converts') all together in one big armada seems perfect to me. And yes, he's got to go on to bigger things. He's one of Oda's own favorite characters.
    When you put it that way.. it wouldn't suprise me if Buggy's newfound (and possibley future) strength in numbers might be his stepping stones to becoming the 5th Emperor of the new world. It'd be horrible and hilarious and perfect at the same time.
    Last edited by Taz; September 4th, 2009 at 10:36 AM.

  14. #874
    Upper Class Ivotas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Frankfurt, Germany

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Simplify: ignoring the cause, circumstances, everything that happened in-between, irony, very nature of the SH crew and breaking it down into a strawman argument. Basically what you did. If you're that interested just read through the old threads. I won't say anymore on it since it's an old topic that I care about getting into just as much as "Usopp character development".
    Like it or not Oda himself stated that Usopps behaviour was wrong with how the events turned out. If Oda would approve of Usopps behaviour he wouldn't have wrapped the story around in a manner in which Usopp had to apologize. It's still Oda's story and where he shares his take on things. Simple as that. Now get back to campaigning or to a talkback how great the tournament was or what a wonderful organizer I was...OR taste my wrath. Kuhahahahahaha

  15. #875

    Default Re: Sixth Round: Semi-Finals Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    Simplify: ignoring the cause, circumstances, everything that happened in-between, irony, very nature of the SH crew and breaking it down into a strawman argument. Basically what you did. If you're that interested just read through the old threads. I won't say anymore on it since it's an old topic that I care about getting into just as much as "Usopp character development".
    It is exactly because the subject has been discussed to death that I did not want to provide a lengthy elaboration and opted for a "strawman" argument instead. I've already read the old threads and as I mentioned the vast majority was on Zoro's side. Nevertheless, strawman or not, my argument is correct and all of those extenuating circumstances are nothing more that petty excuses. Besides, it's not like Zoro wanted to kick Usopp out of the crew, he simply wanted him to apologize - not an unreasonable request by any means. The mere fact that Usopp apologized without even being told to is proof enough that he himself realized that he was wrong. I don't think there is anything further to discuss.

    EDIT: If you remember the story of the prodigal son correctly, the said character came back on his knees to his father and said that he was sorry and he wasn't worthy of being called his son and asked to become one of his father's servants. This is much less extreme than what Zoro wanted Usopp to do. I don't recall the father or his brother or any of his servants trying to get the prodigal son back. Looks like Zoro knew that parable better than anyone else...
    Last edited by Darklord; September 4th, 2009 at 11:20 AM.

  16. #876
    Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer
    Join Date
    May 2009

    Default Re: FINAL FUCKING MATCH Discussion

    Zoro was right, that's all folks.

  17. #877

    Default Re: FINAL FUCKING MATCH Discussion

    @Darklord: where did I say Usopp shouldn't have apologized? Good job distorting my point. Dick move, man. Dick move. As expected from a guy with a Zoro avatar.


    On-Topic: My one regret in this tournament is missing out on Richie vs Sengoku..

  18. #878
    Let me show you my Will... Geo D. Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    New World

    Default Re: FINAL FUCKING MATCH Discussion

    Agreed. Richie had potential.

    In Oda We Trust

  19. #879

    Default Re: FINAL FUCKING MATCH Discussion

    Because if there's any way to stick up for your Captain, it's by publicly criticizing his decision and then threatening to leave if he doesn't do things the way you say he should. That's so much more mature than what Usopp did, which was stick up for a ship that actually had a soul and wound up saving their lives.

    The Straw Hats are lucky that it was Garp and Aokiji that showed up right then; if it'd be Kizaru or Akainu, they'd have died because of Zoro's demand for a public apology.
    Complicating things since 2009.

  20. #880

    Default Re: FINAL FUCKING MATCH Discussion

    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Because if there's any way to stick up for your Captain, it's by publicly criticizing his decision and then threatening to leave if he doesn't do things the way you say he should. That's so much more mature than what Usopp did, which was stick up for a ship that actually had a soul and wound up saving their lives.

    The Straw Hats are lucky that it was Garp and Aokiji that showed up right then; if it'd be Kizaru or Akainu, they'd have died because of Zoro's demand for a public apology.
    That's a little unfair. You are destroying Zoro's point of disagreeing with his captain's bad judgment. The fact was that Luffy was wrong in his decisions, at that point, and Zoro was pointing out how bad they were. You wouldn't want to work for someone who makes bad decisions all the time.
    Usopp wasn't coming to terms with the fact that the ship was pretty much useless, and so he just blaimed Luffy for not believing in it. Now that was immature.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts